Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
a buddy just called and asked me if you left a muzzle loader loaded (bullet and pellets) all year in the safe can it still be shot? do you think it will go off?

·
19,117 Posts
it will go boom just fine as long as it was not introduced to any condensation:wave: should be fine, but id be worried as to why it was loaded for a year??:eek:, thats how accidents happen

·
19,117 Posts
[rquote=1516233&tid=105720&author=Muleskinner]Barrel may be pitted with rust after sitting that long . [/rquote] naaaa unfired powder is not near as corrissive as fired powder, honestly it should be fine, let me rephrase it aint corrosive, i have some goex black powder in a steel can it's 20yrs old and the can is fine:wave::wave:

[Edited on 12-18-2009 by yankee]

·
19,117 Posts
i was a bit concerned, i mean what if he assumed he did a good cleaning and stored the gun, his ramrod aint marked, and he swabs once and pops a cap to dry it out:eek::eek: please make him aware, my encore is loaded has been for 2 weeks now, BUT i know it's loaded, and it won't be loaded after this weekend

·
Registered
6,906 Posts
[rquote=1516236&tid=105720&author=yankee][rquote=1516233&tid=105720&author=Muleskinner]Barrel may be pitted with rust after sitting that long . [/rquote] naaaa unfired powder is not near as corrissive as fired powder, honestly it should be fine, let me rephrase it aint corrosive, i have some goex black powder in a steel can it's 20yrs old and the can is fine:wave::wave:

[Edited on 12-18-2009 by yankee][/rquote]

If it was clean when he loaded it. But if it had been shot accuracy may be lost.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ramrod is marked and no it was not shot after it was loaded. just called him and he is gonna just take it apart and check it and reload it in the morn just to be safe.

·
Registered
70,367 Posts
[rquote=1516260&tid=105720&author=redlabel1]ramrod is marked and no it was not shot after it was loaded. just called him and he is gonna just take it apart and check it and reload it in the morn just to be safe.[/rquote]

That is the best thing to do.

I just hope he hadn't shot it a few times before he loaded it up last year. That powder residue in front of the breech plug and what was still in the rifling might be a big problem. Especially when he tries to take out the breech plug if it was left dirty for a year. I have trouble getting mine out even after a few days.

·
19,117 Posts
[rquote=1516261&tid=105720&author=Mailman][rquote=1516260&tid=105720&author=redlabel1]ramrod is marked and no it was not shot after it was loaded. just called him and he is gonna just take it apart and check it and reload it in the morn just to be safe.[/rquote]

That is the best thing to do.

I just hope he hadn't shot it a few times before he loaded it up last year. That powder residue in front of the breech plug and what was still in the rifling might be a big problem. Especially when he tries to take out the breech plug if it was left dirty for a year. I have trouble getting mine out even after a few days.[/rquote]www.jetlube.com order the nikal anti-seize grease, never have another problem, i have been using it for yrs now, good from like -60 to 2000 deg or something like that

·
2,842 Posts
[rquote=1516620&tid=105720&author=missouri10x]I dont even store my muzzleloader assembled.. ie breech plug and hammer removed and in my shootin box[/rquote]

Me too. I learned the hard way 15 years ago. My priority was drinking some beer, not cleaning my gun. Luckily just minor surface damage. I did send the gun back to manufacturer just so they could confirm everyting was still ok. Now cleaning is #1 priority after shooting

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.