Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
17,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our fields this year are in corn. Now if they get the corn out early enough do you guys think i could get some annuals and broadcast them and get growth in them for the winter months? Other question will it be a pain for the farmer to farm next year by doing this?

·
5,632 Posts
You could get wheat to work! Farmers do it all the time.

·
Registered
6,027 Posts
depening on when he sprays i don't think it would cause any troubles at all but diffantly ask the farmer frist

·
Registered
9,684 Posts
With the corn stocks in the field it would be hard to get a good stand of wheat unless you worked the ground several times. I wouldn't worry about a food source in the field b/c with what the combine misses they will have PLENTY to eat on the ground. You might ask the farmer not to work the field until after season b/c it has always seamed to me that deer hit a cut corn field harder before they work the ground up.

·
5,632 Posts
Originally posted by riverbottomhunter
With the corn stocks in the field it would be hard to get a good stand of wheat unless you worked the ground several times.
I guess I assumed the ground would be disced and cultivated after the corn was cut.

·
Registered
9,684 Posts
Alot of farmers in our area don't put much wheat after corn just because the stocks would need to be worked several times to keep from jamming up the planter. Most of the time the winter wheat is planted after beans. It would be possible to put wheat in after corn if the farmer got the corn out of the field early enough for the ground to be disked, probably twice and then cultivated.
I would still opt to just hunt over the cut corn field. If the crops in everyone elses area looks as good as they do around here it is going to be a record corn year, which means lots of corn left on the ground for the critters to eat.

·
Registered
3,898 Posts
I don't see why you couldn't put out some brassicas...you wouldn't have to do much for them if you plan it right, with the rain, and it would provide some great late season draw and winter food. Good luck Scott...I take it we didn't win the 50/50?

·
Registered
17,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
not sure jeff i had to leave alittle after you did. i gave the tickets to Tom, so hopefully something good happened. headed to the farm in alittle bit to start sparying. got a sprayer last night at buchheits. they got a ton of rain last night up there hopefully it will be alright, besides this cool weather thats coming up:neuspeuter:

·
Registered
7,522 Posts
Scott for what its worth alot of farmers now use notill methods and rotate between beans and corn.
Corn stuble is left to help with erosion and hold moisture and then is no tilled with soybeans in the late spring.
Broadcasting after harvest might work, but like what has been said before...findout what his herbicide was, if it was just roundup for roundup ready corn, you could broadcast whatever but with the price of anhydrous most farmers add other preemergents to their roundup before spraying.

·
Registered
18,764 Posts
you can pick up brassicas seed that won't take much more than throwing the seed out, and you can get big time growth in as little as 45 days.

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
I was reading this post last night and dont know if this is relivent. Last year I was hunting in North Missouri in the late season and there were tons of deer hitting the cut corn field. Well on my way to the stand one afternoon I noticed that the deer had been digging in the dirt. They were totaly ignoring the corn that was left in the field from the current year and they were digging up and eating the old fermented moldy corn from two seasons earlier that had been worked into the ground. I dont know if it tasted better or if it was easier to digest but there were places where they had dug up and old ear right next to a fresh one and left it alone. So I really paid attention that evening and sure enough there they were digging up corn in the feild. if they do prefer that then that means those corn feilds are potential food sources anytime of the year. Just an observation do with it what you please.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.