got a question on HEAVY SHOT

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting General' started by mobiggerbucks, Apr 15, 2006.

1. mobiggerbucks

mobiggerbucks New Member

Jul 21, 2005
    lake of the ozarks
    bought a box of #5 . 3 inch mag. heavy shot . What choke do I use ? Somebody told me that an extra full was too much .

2. henry

henry Fan Boy aka Mr Twisty and

I have heard the same thing. I was told that a standard full was as tight as you wanted.

:cheers::cheers:

3. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    Heavy shot out of my xtra full using the 870 looked bad last year.

Going with the federal this year..

4. Poor Valley

Poor Valley Active Member

Mar 14, 2003
    Rolla, Mo
    I haven't used Hevi-shot myself so I can't answer your question. Suggest you find their web site and see what they have to recommend choke wise. Good luck.

5. JackJr

JackJr New Member

Nov 30, 2002
    Land Of BLAHS
  6. Vector

Vector VECtor Custom Calls

Feb 11, 2003
    N/C MO
    Clansey's brother shot a turkey with me this past week in KS at 43 yards with #5 hevishot. Clansey will have to tell you about the choke in the gun, but it extended past the barrel, so its probably an extra full of some kind.

Of all the birds that I've ever seen fall to the shotgun, this was the first one that didn't flop a bit. Was stone dead at 43 yards! :eek: (Ah-hem.....VECtor turkey call too BTW)

Parker

7. Rebel2

Rebel2 Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2003
    Ozark, MO
    it depends on the choke itsself, just make sure youve got one thats classified for heavishot... if its not, it'll start eatin up your choke. The constriction doesnt matter persay, totally depends upon how the choke was made, ie made out of and whats its intended uses are..

8. Hoytshooter

Hoytshooter Active Member

Mar 7, 2005
    Small Buck, MO
    CP

Remington makes several different turkey chokes, some that are extended beyond the barrel and some that aren't.
    They also make an extra full choke and a super full choke...both turkey chokes and lead shot only.
    The difference in the two is...
    extra full turkey = does not extend and has .687" constriction

super full turkey = extends beyond barrel and has .665" constriction

They also make an extended choke that is ported called the ventilator. I havn't heard any reviews about it but the difference in constriction is that it takes it down to .565". It is also a lead only choke and it has a 42 hole port design intended for recoil reduction. Havn't heard any good or bad about it though.

9. JimH

JimH Active Member

Nov 6, 2003
    St. Louis
    uh, i doubt that it is in the .5XX" range. could that be a misprint? i would think it would be in the .6XX" range unless it was for an 20 ga.

10. Wooddust

Wooddust Active Member

Jul 26, 2003
    Take em back and get the new Federals

11. Hoytshooter

Mar 7, 2005
    Small Buck, MO
    JimH

No misprint, the ventilator fits the 870, 11-87, and 1100 models in 12 gauge and the constriction is .10 tighter than the super full... .565"

12. Hoytshooter

Mar 7, 2005
    Small Buck, MO
  13. JackJr

JackJr New Member

Nov 30, 2002
    Land Of BLAHS
    12 gauges will run in the 6XX range. The ventilated Turkey choke by Remington is .655 and the Turkey extra is .665. 20 gauge turkey chokes will be in the 5XX range. 12 gauge bore diameter is .729 and 20 gauge is .617.

Jack

14. JimH

JimH Active Member

Nov 6, 2003
    St. Louis
    per your own link provided it states .010 tighter not .10 so that would yeild you a .655 which is as tight as you would want to try to squeze down a load of #5 or #4 shot. i know it was only one decimal place but it makes one heck of a differance ;)

15. JimH

JimH Active Member

Nov 6, 2003
    St. Louis
    oh i see jack jr got back to it before i could finish typing. yep jack i'm on the same page as you.

16. JackJr

JackJr New Member

Nov 30, 2002
    Land Of BLAHS
    JimH yeah it means the difference in not blowin' up yer barrel.:roll2:

Jack

17. JimH

JimH Active Member

Nov 6, 2003
    St. Louis
    back in my meat shoot days we where screwing them down to .625" but where shooting #9's through them. even at .655" i bet that tapper is a tad longer than normal to allow the shot to rearange. if not you would be throwing a mess of shot with a ton of flat spots on them and that pattern would blow fast for sure.

18. Hoytshooter

Mar 7, 2005
    Small Buck, MO
    My bad :stickfight:

19. PMan

PMan Retired

Dec 3, 2002
    Go with what works----:cheers: