Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
11,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Don't want to start any big debates or anything, I just want to share my story, rant, and get some thoughts from MWT members.

My great-grandmothers farm is now owned by my uncle. It is 280 acres. My family has hunted the farm for 30+ years. For the last 6-8 years we have done A LOT to manage the farm. We have all the neighbors (except 1) onboard in the last 2-3 years to harvest only mature bucks. On this farm we have not harvested more than 1 doe a year in the last said 6-8 years. We have planted food plots and now have 40 acres of the property row cropped. We still to this day don't see any more deer than before. We are starting to see a FEW better bucks, but can't get one neighbor on-board to shoot only mature deer. They have 600+ acres and shoot anything and everything that moves. :mad2::mad2: This year during gun season they were walking non-stop and shooting at movement. We have tried the last 2 years to talk with them about management and the have told us both years they have no interest. Any other tactics that someone on here can suggest? :confused:

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Hmm...sounds like you've put enough effort into it and tried hard enough that there should be more deer on your land. How many acres do you own if you dont mind me asking? Maybe putting out attractants like Deer Cane or salt or mineral blocks may help draw them closer to you.

=*=ViperSniper=*=

·
Registered
310 Posts
Can't make people do things they don't/won't do on their own land. If they are obeying the law as far as harvesting deer and you've talked to them about management, until they see a reason to change, it won't change.

·
11,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
[rquote=1492602&tid=104252&author=Viper Sniper]Hmm...sounds like you've put enough effort into it and tried hard enough that there should be more deer on your land. How many acres do you own if you dont mind me asking? Maybe putting out attractants like Deer Cane or salt or mineral blocks may help draw them closer to you.

=*=ViperSniper=*=[/rquote]

Have had all that out for 20+ years, they have all the food needed all year round

·
Confirmed Bachelor
10,482 Posts
If you've asked a couple of times and he has no interest then I'd say he isn't going to change and that's something you have to live with. His land, his payment, his rules. :cheers:

·
11,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
[rquote=1492603&tid=104252&author=BC_1997]Can't make people do things they don't/won't do on their own land. If they are obeying the law as far as harvesting deer and you've talked to them about management, until they see a reason to change, it won't change. [/rquote]

Understood, just seems kind of selfish to not atleast hear what a neighbor has to say. As soon as we mention anything they say that the deer eat too many crops. Well we also have row crops and they don't damage them too bad. I also would have less trouble accepting that argument if they weren't CASH renting their ground. Doesn't affect the price they are getting for the ground. :confused::confused:

·
Jenny's Lackey
47,037 Posts
[rquote=1492603&tid=104252&author=BC_1997]Can't make people do things they don't/won't do on their own land. If they are obeying the law as far as harvesting deer and you've talked to them about management, until they see a reason to change, it won't change. [/rquote]

Exactly. Doubt there's much more you can do about the neighbors.

Not everyone has the option to hunt like we do. Being self employeed, I can hunt through the week after my neighbors have gone home. We put the absolute minimal pressure on our place on the weekends when others are hunting around us. We work hard to make our property as thick & unruley as possible, so during opening weekend, they can use our place as a big sanctuary.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
We have tried for years to get some of our neighbors on-board with letting young deer walk, and for some people it is how many you kill not how mature the deer are. We have not found any thing that will work to change their minds.

·
11,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
[rquote=1492610&tid=104252&author=pinwheel][rquote=1492603&tid=104252&author=BC_1997]Can't make people do things they don't/won't do on their own land. If they are obeying the law as far as harvesting deer and you've talked to them about management, until they see a reason to change, it won't change. [/rquote]

Exactly. Doubt there's much more you can do about the neighbors.

Not everyone has the option to hunt like we do. Being self employeed, I can hunt through the week after my neighbors have gone home. We put the absolute minimal pressure on our place on the weekends when others are hunting around us. We work hard to make our property as thick & unruley as possible, so during opening weekend, they can use our place as a big sanctuary. [/rquote]

Exactly what we do PW. We only rifle hunt field edges as to not bump any of the deer that come to our place for cover. Just hate putting all the money and time we do in to get deer to a mature age and then 1/2 the ones you pass get waxed.

·
Registered
310 Posts
[rquote=1492608&tid=104252&author=DForbis][rquote=1492603&tid=104252&author=BC_1997]Can't make people do things they don't/won't do on their own land. If they are obeying the law as far as harvesting deer and you've talked to them about management, until they see a reason to change, it won't change. [/rquote]

Understood, just seems kind of selfish to not atleast hear what a neighbor has to say. As soon as we mention anything they say that the deer eat too many crops. Well we also have row crops and they don't damage them too bad. I also would have less trouble accepting that argument if they weren't CASH renting their ground. Doesn't affect the price they are getting for the ground. :confused::confused:[/rquote]

Well, folks all look at things differently.....an cousin of mine farms and wants people to shoot all the deer they can. I guess everyone has their reasons and opinions and changing them is very difficult unless they are ready to listen......:cheers:

·
11,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Here is one we made off-limits. It is the most promising buck we have had on the property in MANY years. He is a young buck but had TONS of potential. Counted 16 points on him. We seen him the evening before gun season. I can not be 100% sure because the guy that killed it had already left camp, but they said they shot a 16 point that wasn't real big. I am :praying: that it isn't this one!!

[file]81960[/file]

·
Grrrrrrr
29,951 Posts
[rquote=1492597&tid=104252&author=DForbis] They have 600+ acres and shoot anything and everything that moves. :mad2::mad2: This year during gun season they were walking non-stop and shooting at movement. :confused:[/rquote]

My best advice in light of the above quote is to keep plenty of cover between yourself and them.

·
Registered
3,898 Posts
Deer need three things to call a place home...

Food, cover, and water.

I think you need more cover. There are more than enuf deer to satisfy both you and your neighbor. Big bucks don't like to be disturbed...give them a place or two for them to feel comfortable in. Only hunt those edges of their homes when the moon, stars, estrous, wind, a change in low/high pressure exists, a front is moving in, or if all else fails...you have the time.

Take a long hard look at your place an thicken it up. I think that is all you need.

Does your neighbor brag about his harvest?

·
Registered
3,898 Posts
[rquote=1492618&tid=104252&author=DForbis]Here is one we made off-limits. It is the most promising buck we have had on the property in MANY years. He is a young buck but had TONS of potential. Counted 16 points on him. We seen him the evening before gun season. I can not be 100% sure because the guy that killed it had already left camp, but they said they shot a 16 point that wasn't real big. I am :praying: that it isn't this one!![/rquote]

With only 280 acres you won't be able to control his habits and desires.

It is a good effort to pass a deer with so much potential, but unless you put up a fence...anything can happen.

Guessin you guys are in Stage 3.

·
11,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thayer, if there is anything that we could use on the farm it is cover. That being said though we do only hunt the edges and stay plenty far from their bedroom. We do everything possible to not pressure these deer. Problem is that both farms have row crops and food sources. No way to keep these bucks from roaming. Problem is that the neighbor has lots of guys hunting and shoot for the most part any legal buck that walks by. Bad thing is that they are also Lucky enough to get some of the best bucks each year. (I am not saying it is all luck or some of these guys don't hunt right, don't take that wrong)

·
11,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
[rquote=1492634&tid=104252&author=Thayer][rquote=1492618&tid=104252&author=DForbis]Here is one we made off-limits. It is the most promising buck we have had on the property in MANY years. He is a young buck but had TONS of potential. Counted 16 points on him. We seen him the evening before gun season. I can not be 100% sure because the guy that killed it had already left camp, but they said they shot a 16 point that wasn't real big. I am :praying: that it isn't this one!![/rquote]

With only 280 acres you won't be able to control his habits and desires.

It is a good effort to pass a deer with so much potential, but unless you put up a fence...anything can happen.

Guessin you guys are in Stage 3.[/rquote]

Understood, Our attitude is if we don't give them the chance then we will never have that one BIG one. Just frastrating is all. Guess this is just my rant for the year:mad2::hysterical:

·
Registered
3,898 Posts
Would there be a way to put up an aerial and let us try to help you guide the deer to where you need them to be....

What I am getting at is, let's put favorable ground in your best spots for access. If that means you have to drive the neighbors fence to get to it, or open up a bunch of ground along the fence line to inhibit those deer from crossing over the line...then it might be something you would want to do.

You are not cheating by encouraging the deer to use your ground more than the neighbors...just being smart and utilizing the resources available to you. If your brown is down neighbor don't like it...he can ask questions and start being a bit more civil. Don't fight like him, out smart him...shouldn't be that hard.

·
Registered
17,319 Posts
not much you can do to change their minds......besides its only deer...........i use to be worried bout or nieghbors behind us cause they shot everything they saw, but since we have been there(5 yrs) they have killed less and less deer. normally rifle season they would have killed bout 12-15 deer. sunday evening i talked to them and the killed 4 bucks and 3 does. the bucks were nothin cept one 2 year old i had been passin all bow season quite a few times. what can ya do???? nothin but manage your land better. like henry says they make more every year

1 - 20 of 90 Posts