Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
5,631 Posts
It is illegal to use a rimfire rifle (such as a .22 LR) to deer hunt in MO.

The lightest I'd go is a .243 but that is just my personal preference. There are probably guys that hunt with a .223 or something similar.

Again, you can NOT use a .22LR for deer in MO. Better stick to squirrels with those pea shooters.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Jmac, I thought it was a 22 rimfire but i looked at the mag on it and it looked bigger than a 22 round. I have a 257 roberts, which will be my sisters next year. I will need a rifle to hunt with. Got any suggestions with a price within $300-$400?

·
5,631 Posts
If it says LR then it's a "long rifle" round which is a rimfire.

The .270 is a great caliber for deer-sized game. There are lots of folks that use them to hunt elk, also. FAST bullet, quite a bit of foot pounds of energy. Great all around deer caliber.

But it's really up to you. Do you want something that's an ALL purpose gun to hunt anything in North America or do you want something to just hunt whitetails? Just whitetails: .25-06 is AWESOME. All big game: .30-06 or the 7mm mag.

Lots of manufactures make a $300-$400 bolt gun. Remington and Savage come to mind as good, dependable rifles that you could find in that range.

·
Registered
4,449 Posts
BB the rifle you refrenced is NOT a deer rifle. It may be very good for turning a beer can into aluminum lace but it is just not a hunting rifle. Go with the 243 or a 30-30 or such cause recoil is easy to handle and should do an acceptable job of anchoring a deer.

·
Under appreciated
92,881 Posts
I think I have seen Wally world carry a remington 700adl in composite
stock topped with a moderate scope for round $350.. maybe that'n in a .270
would suit ya!

·
Registered
11,973 Posts
That is strictly a small game/target rifle. If you want something for your sister then get a handi rifle and scope. That will be the best rifle to teach a new hunter with. Start with either a 243 or 30-30 barrel with a low power scope. Those rounds are not too punishing for a begineer and are capable of taking all size whitetails. With a single shot the gun is either loaded or it isn't, and the gun is either ****ed or not. With the hammer it will be visable. Remember to teach safety first with all guns.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.