Good Plan?

Discussion in 'Duck & Goose Hunting' started by MJO21, Nov 1, 2010.

1. MJO21

MJO21 Active Member

Dec 12, 2008
    Union, MO
    Middle Season opens this Saturday. I am wanting to give it a shot. Here is my plan...help me out with modifications or anything I am missing and by all means tell if if I am totally off course and wasting my time or doing it all wrong or doing it illegally.

Saturday morning (9am-10am) I want to go to my children archery league. I have not been there in three weeks because of work so I am going to that no matter what.

I can leave my house by 10:30, put boat in the water and have decoys set up and ready to hunt before 12pm.

I am planning to hunt in a pond (maybe about 10acres) area that is connected to a small river off the Missouri River in Gasconade County. I figure I can hunt the rest of the day.

What do you think? and... PLEASE tell me if I am wrong

Is it worth the effort and time? I figure ducks fly all day long so they should be in and out all day long if they are in that area?

What size shot?

MJO

2. Hooks

Hooks Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2010
    Down the bayou
    Go for it. Farm ponds can be extremely good if the ducks like them. One piece of advice I would have is to NOT shoot the ducks that are on the pond (if there are any) when you get there. It may be tempting, but unless you waterswat the group, you aren't gonna get more than a couple.

Instead, jump em up, throw out a few dekes and wait for them to come back in in small groups.
    Good luck:cheers:

3. tew47

tew47 New Member

Oct 12, 2010
    are you hunting from your boat? I use shot size #2 or #3 for ducks, always has worked for me.

4. MJO21

MJO21 Active Member

Dec 12, 2008
    Union, MO
    I do not have a blind for my boat. So I will unload, set up, move/hide boat and walk back the the spot.

How should I set up? I will have to be near shore, unless the mud hump is out? North side? East, West, South?

MJO

5. Rebel2

Rebel2 Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2003
    Ozark, MO
    May or may not work, only way to find out is go. Some places are an all day kinda place, some are morning only, some are afternoon only.

Shot size #2 or #3, i use 3's the most.

Set up wise depends on the wind, you want to set up so birds land into the wind and you have a shot at them coming in at you or worst case, right to left.

6. MJO21

MJO21 Active Member

Dec 12, 2008
    Union, MO
    Well screw up number one of many to come! I bought shells last night. Trying to decide what to get. and I settled on 3" #3's. Got excited pick them up, checked out, got home and looked them over with a smile....I grabbed the shells off the next pile. 2 and 3/4 #2's...DARN!

The the wife throws a curve ball. I tell her my plans for Saturday afternoon...oh I beg to differ! She volunteered to work Saturday evening and Saturday night at Hagie's. Maybe Sunday!!!

MJO

7. knockemdeadd

knockemdeadd Active Member

Feb 3, 2007
    Arnold(St Louis)
    [rquote=1875277&tid=130505&author=MJO21]Well screw up number one of many to come! I bought shells last night. Trying to decide what to get. and I settled on 3" #3's. Got excited pick them up, checked out, got home and looked them over with a smile....I grabbed the shells off the next pile. 2 and 3/4 #2's...DARN!

The the wife throws a curve ball. I tell her my plans for Saturday afternoon...oh I beg to differ! She volunteered to work Saturday evening and Saturday night at Hagie's. Maybe Sunday!!!

MJO [/rquote]

you're 2 3/4" #2s will do just fine :cheers:

8. Rebel2

Rebel2 Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2003
    Ozark, MO
    [rquote=1875277&tid=130505&author=MJO21]Well screw up number one of many to come! I bought shells last night. Trying to decide what to get. and I settled on 3" #3's. Got excited pick them up, checked out, got home and looked them over with a smile....I grabbed the shells off the next pile. 2 and 3/4 #2's...DARN!

MJO [/rquote]

Not to worry my friend 2 3/4's will work aok.

Let me know how sunday goes budy

:cheers:

9. MJO21

MJO21 Active Member

Dec 12, 2008
    Union, MO
    Sure will Reb, Thanks for your and everybody else's help, advise, understanding, and most importantly patience.

MJO

10. Hooks

Hooks Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2010
    Down the bayou
    [rquote=1875277&tid=130505&author=MJO21
    The the wife throws a curve ball. I tell her my plans for Saturday afternoon...oh I beg to differ! She volunteered to work Saturday evening and Saturday night at Hagie's. Maybe Sunday!!!MJO [/rquote]

Lemme help you out, bud. Seems you have a communicashun problem here. Obviously, neither of you let the other know what your plans for the weekend were. But, in the female mind, YOU are the one insensitive to the others plans. You gotta nip this one in the bud. If you are serious about starting duck hunting, you can't let the wimmens interfere.
    I would be willin to offer some free marital counseling if you are interested.:D

11. MJO21

MJO21 Active Member

Dec 12, 2008
    Union, MO
    I can't complain too loud, too much to lose...house, boats, truck, shed...oh yeah and my wife:D

MJO

ps...btw this is her second job:cheers:

12. S_Z_R

S_Z_R New Member

Sep 22, 2008
    SWMO
    Hey hooks, maybe this is only his first wife and he needs to learn the hard way like the rest of us fools... :D

Keep you head up MJO, the season has just started.

13. Hooks

Hooks Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2010
    Down the bayou
    [rquote=1876101&tid=130505&author=S_Z_R]Hey hooks, maybe this is only his first wife and he needs to learn the hard way like the rest of us fools... :D

Keep you head up MJO, the season has just started.[/rquote]

You did a heckuva lot better the second time around.:cheers:
    I'm still a little gun shy.:stickfight:

14. S_Z_R

S_Z_R New Member

Sep 22, 2008
    SWMO
    Amen brutha, I can't complain one bit about #2...I got lucky, but I still gotta deal with #1 for another 6 years until the oldest is paid for.

No shame in being single my friend...its a lot cheaper when you part ways. :D

Nice to see you made it here...I read your post about hunting a CA for the first time and just about spit all over the key board...I've heard the story many times but its still funny. i don't know why you ever started going to the draw :claphands:

15. Hooks

Hooks Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2010
    Down the bayou
    [rquote=1877722&tid=130505&author=S_Z_R] i don't know why you ever started going to the draw :claphands:[/rquote]

Who's sayin I always do? :rof2::rof2:

16. Rebel2

Rebel2 Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2003
    Ozark, MO
    [rquote=1878023&tid=130505&author=Hooks][rquote=1877722&tid=130505&author=S_Z_R] i don't know why you ever started going to the draw :claphands:[/rquote]

Who's sayin I always do? :rof2::rof2:[/rquote]

The quick draw..

You know, get dressed in your waders, your 2 dollar lanyard and 35 5 dollar calls.. sit in front of your computer and hope :rof2: