Good deal at Cabelas for a new hunters first rifle

Discussion in 'Hunting News' started by Skduckhunt, Dec 14, 2017.

1. farmnhunt

farmnhunt Well-Known Member

Jun 6, 2006
    Lebanon
    Regular barrel, heavy barrel was an extra $100+, and i want a cheap gun to carry arround the farm

flatlander_ likes this.
  2. farmnhunt

Jun 6, 2006
    Lebanon
    I order the spring from MCARBO was shipped on th 18th, still not here. Nothing like the good old USPS. (sorry MM)

3. jawesome357

jawesome357 The Instigator

Oct 31, 2013
    The only OC
    Can you put a boyd stock on these guns to church em up a bit?

4. cummins5.9

cummins5.9 Baller, shot caller

Sep 27, 2006
    Yes
    Yep.

5. jawesome357

Oct 31, 2013
    The only OC
    How hard is it to change them out? Never done it before.

6. flatlander_

flatlander_ Really? Show me. .

I just ordered a couple triggers from MCARBO today, one for me and one for a buddy. Hopefully they get here by Saturday.

7. cummins5.9

cummins5.9 Baller, shot caller

Sep 27, 2006
    Yes
    Boyd's are usually drop in, you shouldn't need to do anything other than unscrew 3 screws, take the barreled action out of the old stock, put it in the new stock and screw it in. Shouldn't take more than 5 minutes.

8. jawesome357

Oct 31, 2013
    The only OC
    After I asked I went and looked it up. Doesn't seem to terribly difficult. I have an extra 25-06 laying around that I want to play with, so I'll probably order one in the next few months.

9. hoythunter03

hoythunter03 Member

Apr 28, 2014
    Bought a Boyd's for a Rem700 sps that I just couldn't get to shoot with the flimsy stock it came with. Dropped it in the Boyd's and glass bedded it, went from softball sized groups to cloverleafs. Gotta admit, I'm a fan especially for the price.

10. farmnhunt

Jun 6, 2006
    Lebanon
    I ordered on the 16th they shipped the 18th received the 26th at my office, will install tonight. I had it shipped to work and I was off the last 2 days.

Skduckhunt likes this.
  11. jawesome357

Oct 31, 2013
    The only OC
    Do they need to be pillar and glass bedded? Or can you just drop em in a go? Do you think you would have had the same accuracy from the rifles if you didn't glass bed it?

12. hoythunter03

hoythunter03 Member

Apr 28, 2014
    I think you'd probably be fine even without the bedding. The stock came with enough clearance that the barrel was free floated which I think is probably all that I needed and everything else fit without any inletting or anything. The glass bedding was more of a "meh, why not" addition.

jawesome357 likes this.
  13. farmnhunt

Jun 6, 2006
    Lebanon
    Installed the trigger kit last night. There was a significant reduction in pull weight and over travel. I think it was well worth the $15.

14. Ringer

Ringer Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2011
    Mid MO
    The rifle that rides around with me on the farm is a .22 mag. It used to be a .22 LR and someone bored it out and did a crappy job. After you shoot it the casing swells and you have to pull it out with pliers or we use a nutcracker. In fact that is the name of the rifle, the nutcracker. Maybe it's about time to upgrade so I can kill the vermin more betterer and more deader.

flatlander_ likes this.
  15. farmnhunt

Jun 6, 2006
    Lebanon
    What ammo are you using? I had real problems with a couple of brands of 22 mag. in a 3 different guns, CCI or Hornady are by far more reliable and resistant to case swelling. Whatever you do don't try sellers and Beloit if you have problems with sticking. They stick in about everything.

16. Gutpile

Gutpile Cooler Semi-Elitist

Aug 22, 2003
    St. Charles

I got a Boyds stock for my sons Axis in .308. The magazine didn't fit, had to do a little scraping/sanding so it would fit deep enough for the retaining tab to snap into place.

17. Rafe Hollister

Rafe Hollister Member

Jul 14, 2010
    Real close to Winger
    I took the kid to Cabela's in Rogers, AR a couple years ago for a similar deal. We looked at it really closely and everything felt "loose". The bolt wasn't tight and the trigger & trigger guard felt flimsy. Right beside the Axis was a bunch of Ruger American rifles. We picked up that and the difference was night & day. It was about $160 more, but for the quality, it was easy to justify paying extra.

I can see getting the Axis for a truck gun, but to hunt with year after year, the Ruger American was a better buy.

18. farmnhunt

Jun 6, 2006
    Lebanon
    I can see getting the Axis for a truck gun, but to hunt with year after year, the Ruger American was a better buy.[/QUOTE]
    I agree, but for a truck gun that I don't want to worry about getting roughed up or possibly stolen. A $169 gun definetly fits that criteria.