Good choke for 835

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting General' started by mrmurph, Mar 23, 2006.

1. mrmurph

mrmurph Well-Known Member

Aug 15, 2005
    NW Missouri
    I've been using my 835 for five years now and have never upgraded from the factory turkey choke. I know there has to be a better one out there and am curious if anyone at MWT's might have a recommendation they would make.

I'm confident that I get a better pattern with the right choke, just need a little help finding the right one.

Thanks!

2. MATTG

MATTG Member

Dec 8, 2005
    MID-MO
    I have a Mad Maxx Choke (lead shot only). I shoot Winchester Supremes #5 2.25 oz shot and at 25 yards the pattern is ridiculous. I took a bird that hung up at a distance that I would not reccommend with no problem.

According to the Hunter Specialties Target, it claims you only need 5 shots in the neck/head area to be considered optimum range. I can do this at 70 yards but would never shoot that far. At 50 yards, I have 20+ pellets in the head and neck.

My dad has the Kick's Gobbling Thunder and gets the same results with the Remington Premier #6 2.25 oz.

The Mad Maxx Choke is about $45 and the Kicks is aound $60.

3. MATTG

MATTG Member

Dec 8, 2005
    MID-MO
    One more thing, I would recommend getting aftermarket sights. I put Fiber optic rifle sights on my 835. These sights have microadjustments for windage and elevation. The factory sights have 3 windage settings. When the bird is in tight and you do not have the gun dialed in perfectly, it will not be too hard to totally miss with these new chokes.

Matt

4. 67Firebird

67Firebird Chicken Man

Mine came with a NWTF Extra-Full, which works just fine in mine. You don't say what the problem is, but if your pattern is too open just look for a tighter choke.

5. JimH

JimH Active Member

Nov 6, 2003
    St. Louis
    i have had mad max before and had good results. i've also had/have chomp-n-choke and have very good results. the only brand i haven't had much luck with believe it or not is hastings. my buddy had one for his 870 and it had holes in its pattern. i bought one for my 20 ga a few weeks ago for my son to use and when we pattern it it also was blotchy. i wouldn't wait too much time getting one as you'll want some time to pattern it a tad.
    here's chomp-n-chokes # if you want to ask some questions (ask for chuck)1-888-875-7906

6. JackJr

JackJr New Member

Nov 30, 2002
    Land Of BLAHS
    The factory turkey choke for the 835s worked very well for me in the past. I believe it has a .665 restriction. It did however pattern best with Winchester Supremes in #5 shot. In my Remington 11-87 I use a Primos TightWad that has a .660 restriction. This is a fairly inexpensive ported choke and works great in my 11-87. I would also take the suggestion from above about fiber optic sights.

http://www.primos.com/gear.php?cPath=28_95

Jack

7. mrmurph

Aug 15, 2005
    NW Missouri
    Thanks for all the replies. I didn't do a good job of explaining the situation so I'll try again.

Out to 30 yards, this choke patterns like a beast- it really does the job with massive amounts of lead in the kill. Beyond 30 yards and the pattern develops a hole right in the middle with a "string" of pellets dropping low right. The main part of the pattern is generally centered over the target, it's just pretty open.

I have a set of aftermarket sights and don't like them. I've been using the two bead system (align the two beads on the vent rib with your target) and can't see a reason to change unless these chokes reduce the pattern by 50% or more. If they do, I can put the sights on with a quickness and get 'er zeroed by the sight.

Oh, one more comment. This is with WInchester Supreme 3.5" 5's. All other loads really suck it up out of that gun.

8. JackJr

JackJr New Member

Nov 30, 2002
    Land Of BLAHS
    mrmurph, believe it or not you might see an improvement in that pattern if you went to 3" shells and #5s. That is what patterned best in my 835. The 3 1/2" #4s came in second.

Jack

9. FiremanBrad

FiremanBrad New Member

Buy the best, first.....Comp-n-Choke....You won't be sorry....I own 2 at present, and have one more on the way.

10. igor

igor Active Member

Mar 8, 2006
    I have a 3 1/2 11-87 and really like the gun what i have seen in my gun and my friends
    3 1/2 guns is the same 3 inch shells pattern a lot better. take it or leave it.

11. The factory choke in the 835's are .690 and work great but I picked up a Hastings .675 for around $28 and have shot it against some pretty high dollar choked guns and had them wishing they hadn't wasted their money....Although I think that a good choke is important, it's even more important to match a load to your choke....

12. FiremanBrad

FiremanBrad New Member

Well said!!! Some guns are particular about what you feed em....kinda like kids....lol

13. Also well said !!!

I just fought that battle tonite wif my 4 year old.....

Great to see ya back Brad:wave:

14. FiremanBrad

FiremanBrad New Member

Hey man, great to BE back!!!!! Start rehab monday, gonna tell em, come on, git me walkin, I got turkeys ta hunt!!!!

15. X Bow T

X Bow T Original Cafe'Member

Nov 21, 2002
    N & S of the MO
    :cheers:I'll be going with the X Factor Super Full Choke straight from the Mossberg factory, for starters. They must have patterned more loads/choke styles than we ever could. $35.xx in the walmart catalog.:sniper:

"Turks or Bust"

16. mrmurph

Aug 15, 2005
    NW Missouri
    Well, I took every bit of advice given on this topic except the original question I asked for input on.

I put the sights back on the 835 yesterday and went to the range. Shot a variety of shells and landed on Winchester Supreme 3" 5's. Was putting at least 15 pellets into the kill areas out through 40 yards with that load. When I moved out to 50 yards, I kept 10 pellets in the kill area. I think that'll do just fine, I don't really plan on shooting 50 yards but want to know what she'll do at that range- the 2nd bird's always just a little tougher to get!

Thanks for all the input!