Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
need some opinions..on caliber ..money wise ill prolly settle on a single shot something cheaper..so brand?...caliber?..she is a thin framed tall skinny 10 year old...my sone has a .243 and its still a bit too much for her...also could you elaborate on caliber and nrand a lil ...thanks ..im buyin it today so the sooner i get some opinions the better...thanks guys

·
Registered
69,800 Posts
One thing to remember.....A lighter weight rifle will kick more than a heavier one. Just because it is advertised as a youth model doesn't mean it is youth friendly when it comes to recoil. It might fit their smaller frame but even the smaller calibers like the .243, 7-08 and the like will kick like a much larger caliber. For instance...last spring at the Youth Turkey Hunt at Burr Oaks CA the NWTF provided the Youth model Rem. 870 20 gauge shotguns. I would much rather shoot a full sized 12 gauge than those shoulder busters. I've found that the loud noise of the rifle going off scares the younger set more than the actual recoil as long as the shooter holds the rifle solid when shooting it. I watched a young man shoot a rifle at the range last year and while Dad was watching down range with his binoculars. The kid was lifting his head up off the stock the instant he pulled the trigger. Smacked him on the check bone every time. That alone made him have a fear of the rifle no matter what the caliber he was shooting.

·
Registered
69,800 Posts
[rquote=1490179&tid=104095&author=macon county boy]managed recoil loads will solve that[/rquote]

Have you tried them out? Being a reloader myself I can't justify dropping down my killing power to lessen the recoil....but I'm not a kid either. Might just work for short yardage shots.:shrug:

·
Registered
656 Posts
[rquote=1490179&tid=104095&author=macon county boy]managed recoil loads will solve that[/rquote]

Please share your experience with these, as I was thinking my youngest may be able to use my 30-30 with these, as opposed to spending a bunch of money on a rifle I will not have a use for in a few years.

·
Registered
13,736 Posts
If money and recoil are an issue, I think one of those H&R/NEF single shots in .30/30 might be the ticket. We all seem to forget they come in .30/30, it's mild to shoot, economical, and easy to find ammo for. And later, if she still hunts, you can send it back and they can fit another barrel to it, in some other cartridge.

As Mailman referred to, noise is a problem, probably more than the recoil itself, so make absolutely certain your daughter has ear plugs AND ear muffs on her head when she shoots (safety glasses, too, of course). If she's well protected from the racket, she'll never know it kicks (especially if you don't bring it up).

This is good, no bull advice.

I don't think they make managed recoil ammo in .30/30, it's what the bigger managed recoil stuff duplicates. If you handload, though, you can throttle it back a bit.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for the advice fellas....is 22-250 or 223 enough for a deer load?,,,just curious in your all opinions

·
Registered
69,800 Posts
[rquote=1490200&tid=104095&author=ghbeagles]thanks for the advice fellas....is 22-250 or 223 enough for a deer load?,,,just curious in your all opinions[/rquote]

They are good enough in the right hands but for a 10 year old...I'd stick with the .243 caliber. I'm a bit partial to that caliber since it was my first deer rifle and I still shoot it today.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
[rquote=1490149&tid=104095&author=macon county boy]id lookat those stevens 243 or 7-08 they shoot good lighter than single shots and there cheap[/rquote]
do they have a website?..

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
also what do ya mean by cheap?

·
Registered
6,852 Posts
The H&R/NEF single shot rifles are the WORST designed stock in the world from a recoil perspective, and in my opinion, the worst guns in the world to start a kid shooting. If they are kicking kicked silly, they won't want anything to do with it. They are priced perfectly for people looking to get an inexpensive and accurate rifle for their kids though. The only difference between a so-called 'youth' model and an adult model rifle is a 1" shorter stock - that is all. And like Mailman said - for managing recoil, heavier is better.

One of the best things you can do is buy a junk stock for a good rifle in .243 and cut it down to fit her. Then when she gets older, put the regular stock back on. This is strictly my opinion, but you are far better off and money ahead by buying a Contender or an Encore and start them off with that.

·
Registered
5,055 Posts
[rquote=1490200&tid=104095&author=ghbeagles]thanks for the advice fellas....is 22-250 or 223 enough for a deer load?,,,just curious in your all opinions[/rquote]

No not at all, especially in the hands of a child (or 99% of adults) :scared:
A 243 is barely enough :stirpot:

As someone else said, the problem with a single shot is they kick like the ****ins. I would think she should be able to handle a 243 in a bolt action rifle (stevens, mossburg, or howa). If she can't handle that, she's too small to go deer hunting - it's that simple.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
she cn handle them with a rest just not free hand gues ill have to keep her on a rest for now

·
Registered
69,800 Posts
I think after a kid (male or female) takes his/her first shot at a deer and you ask them if the rifle kicked most would say....What kick?

·
Registered
6,852 Posts
When you are shopping, don't overlook the 7.62x39.
They are absolute death on whitetails, no recoil and you can find them in several smaller/shorter rifle versions. CZ makes a bolt action carbine that would be perfect for her.

And without starting the whole caliber arguement, the .243 is God's plenty for deer. You will probably find the most options avaialable to you in .243 or 7.62x39...

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
thats they way it worked with my son anyway...lol

1 - 20 of 31 Posts