Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner

1 - 20 of 316 Posts

·
Máistir an pointe hocht.
69,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ADH will be years off I would think, at least until numbers start to rebound. Doing it now would be a poor decision from a conservation perspective. Assuming you believe the intelligent use of the resource means not killing it off. :D

Enjoy! 🦃

·
13,354 Posts
so ADH would be a bad thing. like in the high schoolers would get out of school and shoot all the birds during the week day.
I hunted with guys a few years ago and they started drinking at 1:05pm, maybe that is why people do not want ADH

·
Biology nit wit exposer
79,868 Posts
It will get better once it quits getting worse. :giggle:

Reactions: Skduckhunt

·
Vendor
61,772 Posts
ADH will be years off I would think, at least until numbers start to rebound. Doing it now would be a poor decision from a conservation perspective. Assuming you believe the intelligent use of the resource means not killing it off. :D

Enjoy!
Not the case. ADH would have no impact on increases or decreases in population.

·
Vendor
61,772 Posts
That makes no sense. For 5 years MDC tracked adult gobblers in NEMO. Im using the percents as a function of 100 birds.

Year 1- 100 tracked. Hunters kill 18. 46 survives to the next year. Of the 82 not killed by hunters 36 died before the next season.

Year 2 - 100 tracked. Hunters kill 16. 43 survives to the next year. Of the 84 not killed by hunters 41 died before the next season.

Year 3- 100 tracked. Hunters kill 31. 39 survived to the next year. Of the 69 not killed by hunters 30 died before the next season.

Year 4- 100 tracked. Hunters kill 22. 40 survived to the next year. Of the 78 not killed by hunters 38 died before the next season.

Year 5 - 100 tracked. Hunters kill 31. 27 survived to the next year. Of the 69 not killed by hunters 42 died before the next season.

Tell me again how all day hunting would hurt???

·
Máistir an pointe hocht.
69,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not the case. ADH would have no impact on increases or decreases in population.
How can a turkey dying have no impact on the population. One would think, if there are 10 turkeys in the woods, and you kill one, now there are 9..... 9<10 if I remember my cyphering, and since 9<10, there was an impact to that ppulation. :D

Reactions: Grundy and 20'

·
Don't mind me
9,175 Posts
That makes no sense. For 5 years MDC tracked adult gobblers in NEMO. Im using the percents as a function of 100 birds.

Year 1- 100 tracked. Hunters kill 18. 46 survives to the next year. Of the 82 not killed by hunters 36 died before the next season.

Year 2 - 100 tracked. Hunters kill 16. 43 survives to the next year. Of the 84 not killed by hunters 41 died before the next season.

Year 3- 100 tracked. Hunters kill 31. 39 survived to the next year. Of the 69 not killed by hunters 30 died before the next season.

Year 4- 100 tracked. Hunters kill 22. 40 survived to the next year. Of the 78 not killed by hunters 38 died before the next season.

Year 5 - 100 tracked. Hunters kill 31. 27 survived to the next year. Of the 69 not killed by hunters 42 died before the next season.

Tell me again how all day hunting would hurt???
Do you not see a correlation between number of turkeys killed and number of turkeys that survived to the next year?

·
Máistir an pointe hocht.
69,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It will get better once it quits getting worse. :giggle:
Unless of course, it never does....... The way we are going, turkeys will be extinct in just a couple years, and it'll all be the fault of crossbow inclusion. :D

Reactions: Mailman

·
Máistir an pointe hocht.
69,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Do you not see a correlation between number of turkeys killed and number of turkeys that survived to the next year?
Gosh dammmmit... Don't you dare try to use logic with the hawk. :D

Reactions: 20'

·
Vendor
61,772 Posts
No. The same number survived when we killed 16 and 31.

The correlation is the fewer we shoot the more die from other causes.

·
Vendor
61,772 Posts
How can a turkey dying have no impact on the population. One would think, if there are 10 turkeys in the woods, and you kill one, now there are 9..... 9QUOTE]Oh, you want to save turkeys in the woods for the same season??? Well then of course you not shooting a bird will keep more in the population, but it wont help next years population.

·
Don't mind me
9,175 Posts
No. The same number survived when we killed 16 and 31.
No. When we killed 16 there were 43 survivors. When we killed 31 there were 27 survivors.
15 more birds were killed, and there were 16 less birds to hunt the next year.
41 and 42 birds died of natural causes out of the 100 that we started with, so the only real difference in how many were alive the next year is how many got shot by hunters.
Am I missing something??

·
Registered
20,807 Posts
No. When we killed 16 there were 43 survivors. When we killed 31 there were 27 survivors.
41 and 42 birds died of natural causes out of the 100 that we started with, so the only real difference in how many were alive the next year is how many got shot by hunters.
Am I missing something??
Please stop, Hawk math is the new math:love:

·
Don't mind me
9,175 Posts
To your second point about fewer we shoot more die from other causes. Are you talking number of turkeys or percentage of turkeys?
Year 1-4, the natural mortality rates of leftover birds are all between 43%-48%. Year 5 is the anomaly where 60% died. Year 2 was the lowest natural mortality rate of all the years at 43.4%, and it was the year with the highest number killed by hunters!

·
Vendor
61,772 Posts
Am I missing something??

·
Vendor
61,772 Posts
To your second point about fewer we shoot more die from other causes. Are you talking number of turkeys or percentage of turkeys?
Year 1-4, the natural mortality rates of leftover birds are all between 43%-48%. Year 5 is the anomaly where 60% died. Year 2 was the lowest natural mortality rate of all the years at 43.4%, and it was the year with the highest number killed by hunters!
Exactly, the anomaly. When we killed 31 previously survival barely changed.

Given how the birds were tagged it is possible that the sample from the 5th year represented an older sample of the population which would make those birds more likely to die from other causes than the other 4 years.

Heres what I know.... The biologists and researchers that did the previous work in exactly the same way agree with my assessment. Could they be wrong? Are they? Not likely.

·
Don't mind me
9,175 Posts
This chart has nothing to do with the statement of mine that you quoted, but it would have to do with my most recent statement. Put this misleading chart into percentages like I did and then try to sell the snake oil.

Did you know that there's also more people that have died from covid in the US than any other country? Makes us look bad, but when you use percentages, we aren't even in the top 10 countries of mortality rates!

·
Don't mind me
9,175 Posts
Heres what I know.... The biologists and researchers that did the previous work in exactly the same way agree with my assessment. Could they be wrong? Are they? Not likely.
Sounds like they might be related to the human robots that you talk to about qualifying someone for a mortgage who owns a thriving 2 year old business clearing a $1,000,000 a year that can't qualify for a $100k loan because they don't know how to look at numbers any other way than they've been told to..

1 - 20 of 316 Posts