Golfnut's 2015 Deer Hunting Journal

Discussion in 'Member Hunting Journals' started by golfnut1969, Aug 14, 2015.

1. golfnut1969

golfnut1969 You're not a golfer.

Don't you have ducks to go kill?

2. I-55 Bandit

I-55 Bandit New Member

Mar 29, 2011
    St. Louis
    tomorrow:wave:

3. golfnut1969

Nov 5
    STL County
    6:00 am - 10:30 am

Quiet morning and nothing seen

4. golfnut1969

Nov 7
    Warrenton Property
    1:30 pm - 5:30 pm

First time in this stand on this property. Hunted for 4 hours and never saw a thing. I have a game camera at this stand and it has proved out that I'm on an active trail used by many deer. I pulled my card and saw I a decent 2.5 yr old 10 pt visiting, but all at night. I switched the camera to video mode when I pulled the card to see what I might capture.

Nov 8
    Warrenton Property
    5:30 am - 11:30 am

Cold morning and I was really hoping of movement. After 2.5 hours, I hadn't seen a thing but then a small forked dink showed up. I took some pictures and even some video. About 10 minutes, the fork walked off and a little 6pt showed up. He was looking back the direction he came when I noticed a small 8pt. Main beam went almost straight up on either side and forked. Had two really small brow tines and a small g2 on either side. Technically an 8 but I would pass. These two deer milled around for a bit before heading out. About 40 minutes later, I heard a bunch of commotion behind me and I turned to look over my shoulder and I saw a massive rack. Bigger than anything I've ever seen. This buck was hounding a doe and not paying any attention to me. I stood and grabbed my bow. However, what I didn't see was another little dink that was running with these two. He must have picked me off because he started blowing like a pack of wolves was on his heels. The big buck and doe both froze. The little dink stopped about 50 yards off to my right and never did look at me and continued to stomp and blow. I don't think he ever saw me, but most have been right below me and heard me or smelled something. In any case, they all settled down, but there wasn't a shot opportunity. Instead of continuing in the direction they were headed, they turn around and went straight back the way they came. I was disappointed to say the least, but it was exciting. I didn't see a thing the rest of the sit.

Nov 8
    Warrenton Property
    1:30 pm - 5:30 pm

4 hours in the same stand I hunted in the morning. Nothing seen.

5. golfnut1969

Nov 9
    Warrenton Property
    5:30 am - 11:30 am

6 hours in the same stand I hunted in the morning before. At about 9 am I had a single 2.5 yr old 8 pt cruising through the timber. I stopped him with a grunt call but he wouldn't veer off his intended course. He was gone as soon as he arrived.

Nov 9
    Warrenton Property
    2:30 pm - 5:30 pm

Switched to my second stand on the property, mainly to pull the card from my camera and switch back to pictures from video. I sat for 3 hours and again, didn't see a thing. In any case, I pulled the video and was shocked by the number of bucks I had visit on Saturday night (the night before I had the encounter with the big one). I put together all the video recorded and posted on YouTube. Here is the video. The second deer to show up (first buck) is the one I had come in on Saturday.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2-3UT2ERXo[/ame]

6. golfnut1969

Nov 13th
    STL County
    2:00 - 5:40 pm

Got in an settled a little after 2pm. Had a couple does over 100 yards run off. Not sure if I spooked them or not. Didn't see a thing until around 4 pm when a fork dink came in and milled around. He walked directly under my stand and then froze there for about 5 full minutes. I saw another fork about 80 yards off in the powercut making his way through. About 4:15 I decided I would stand up for the last hour. When I did, I saw a doe about 80 yards straight to my right and she was starring straight at me. Luckily there was a lot of branches in between us and she didn't look for long. About the time she stopped watching, she bedded down and then I saw antlers. So, it turns out this doe had a buck locked down. For the next hour, the buck would continue to harass the doe and she would get up and walk 5 to 10 yards closer to me. By 5:10 or so, they she bedded down 35 yards from me, and he was standing there frozen in 7 ft tall grass and weeds. If they would move another 5 yards, they enter 2 ft tall grass and I have a clean shot. It was just a waiting game, and I was running out of daylight. As it turns out, she finally committed to moving out in the open, but they deviated from the path they were on, moving farther to my left, extending the range. By the time they came out of the heavy stuff, I couldn't see well enough to range or to see the deer well enough to shoot.

This was my third time in this stand, and I had a shooter all three times. I passed on one (see above) and the other two just never offered shots. But while I didn't get to kill anything, this was my first experience watching a buck locked down with a doe. Cool stuff.

7. henry

henry Fan Boy aka Mr Twisty and

Once he gets her to quit running from him , he won't let her get far. I have seen them hold a doe in a small pocket of cover for a full day. They may have been there longer, but I have watched them for a day. It is pretty cool to watch.

8. golfnut1969

Nov 15
    Warrenton Property
    6:00 am - 11:30 pm

Very uneventful day. Hunted my salt block stand. 5.5 hours and I spotted a single doe running across a ridge 100 yards away. Heard about 7 gun shots all morning.

Nov 15
    Warrenton Property
    1:30 pm - 5:15 pm

Nothing seen. Heard one gun shot. Pulled cards from game cameras and the past week showed nothing but two forks and a couple does. None of the deer from the week before were spotted. I might be back here in December.

6:00 am - 9:15 am

Sat in the stand where my previous game camera video was captured. 3.5 hour in the rain was enough. Nothing seen.

9. golfnut1969

Nov 20th
    STL County
    6:30 - 5:30 pm

All day sit, 11 hours in a climber. Pretty uneventful until the last hour. Saw a total of around 13 deer. Only bucks were a few spikes. First time in this stand not seeing a buck worth shooting. Action seems to be slowing down in my couple spots. I had some opportunities this year like none I've had before and finally saw some real rut action. Hopefully next year I can cash in. Probably won't get out again until December. Hope to put a few more does in the freezer.

10. golfnut1969

Goals not met. Pretty much done for the year, with exception of some attempt to put some meat in the freezer. Done posting here anyway. :wave: