Going Turkey Hunting In Kansas

Discussion in 'Hunting With A Disability' started by Chairman, Apr 18, 2006.

1. Chairman

Chairman Senior Member

Dec 2, 2002
    Henry County
    Well ~ I just got a call from my brother in Kansas, and he's trying to get me to join him for a turkey hunt this weekend. Ever since, I've been wading thru Kansas' hunting regulations, seeing what all I'd have to have, if I go.

After straining my eyes for a couple of hours, reading all the small print, I decided to just send the KDWP an e-mail, to hopefully get a response as to what I need, straight from the horses' mouth, so to speak. I'd sure hate to screw up, and end up in some trouble.

Anyways, as I was scanning their website, I came across something very interesting, to say the least. A disabled hunter can "hunt by proxy" (authority or power to act for another), with the correct permit. I've never heard of anything like that before ~ have you?!

2. FiremanBrad

FiremanBrad New Member

I've never heard of it either....I guess if you don't fill your tags this weekend, your bro could use you as a spare limit!!! I have a feeling you'll do ok....go git em Cman!!!

3. riverbottomhunter

riverbottomhunter Well-Known Member

Sep 27, 2005
    Chariton Co.
    Never heard of that either. Good luck on your hunt.

4. Vector

Vector VECtor Custom Calls

Feb 11, 2003
    N/C MO
    Oh boy! I'm pretty sure that you could take your brother's limit 'by proxy'! What a rule! :eek:

Parker

5. Chairman

Chairman Senior Member

Dec 2, 2002
    Henry County
    More than likely, the reg only applies to resident hunters.

Besides ~ after seeing what it's gonna cost me for a hunting license & turkey permit, I ain't about to let anyone hunt in my place...

Hunting license: $72.15

Turkey Permit: $32.15
    ______

$104.30 :eek:

6. Vector

Vector VECtor Custom Calls

Feb 11, 2003
    N/C MO
    And you gotta buy a second permit to get your second bird! With the 'internet convenience fee' mine came up to be $140 and some change! :eek:

Parker

7. JackJr

JackJr New Member

Nov 30, 2002
    Land Of BLAHS
    Still cheaper than Missouri's Non-Res fee.

Jack

8. dchriste

dchriste New Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Good luck down there! For info, remember my site afarcry.info under regs/us states/kansas.
    Don

9. Chairman

Chairman Senior Member

Dec 2, 2002
    Henry County
    Thanks, Don!

Geez ~ where were you 'bout 4 hours ago? :D

Yep ~ spent just under 4 hours on KWDP's website today, lookin' up reg's, fees, unit maps, etc...

10. JackJr

JackJr New Member

Nov 30, 2002
    Land Of BLAHS
    Unit 2!!;) And get two tags. You can kill both birds in one day and at the same time.:eek:

Jack

11. Chairman

Chairman Senior Member

Dec 2, 2002
    Henry County
    Yeah, I figured "What the heck ~ why not go ahead and get 2 tags..."

AND hunt all day... :D

Yep ~ Unit 2...Linn County, just South of Parker, KS.

I'm going hunting, I'm going hunting! :banana:

Just in the nick of time, too. I've been chompin' at the bit, since the first of the month...

12. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    Best of luck Chairman... looks like your going hunting!! :banana:

13. huntforfunnfood

huntforfunnfood New Member

Jun 30, 2003
    new bloomfield mo
    hey rick seems to me like since your going turkey hunting and going to have to buy your small game hunting permit (the 72.15) any way
    you just as well plan some phesant hunts out there this fall

just get 6 or 7 more guys to go with you and you can block the ends while they work the feild to you. thats how we hunt any way
    worked great for my great grand dad when he got to were he couldn't get around well.

best of luck with that turkey bird man

14. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    Forgot to mention this also..

I got my KWDP non-resident hunting permit online and it was quick and painless.
    Dont know about turkey tags, but you may want to check it out. You apply, pay and print it off in bout 10min. :wave:

15. Chairman

Chairman Senior Member

Dec 2, 2002
    Henry County
    Thanks for the heads-up, guys... :wave:

Yeah, I thought of that too, Tony. I can also use the hunting permit during deer season too, eh?!

BTW ~ When do you have to have your application in by, for a deer tag? :confused:

16. Gamegetter

Gamegetter Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2004
    Good luck Rick. :wave:

17. huntforfunnfood

Jun 30, 2003
    new bloomfield mo
    rick non residents have the month of may to apply for deer tags.

now i am not totally fimilar with how it works but something like landowners can get and resale there tags to any one. its a very strange deal i am not sure much about it but might be something to check in to if you have some friends out there. Deer season is also phesant season

18. Chairman

Chairman Senior Member

Dec 2, 2002
    Henry County
    Thanks for the info! :cheers:

It's ironic ~ I was born & raised in Kansas, and just moved to Missouri 10 years ago. I've never hunted in Kansas before, either...

I'll have to talk to my brother & cousins about the deer tags(my bro rents, but my cousins are landowners).

Most (if not all) the pheasant hunting is in the Northern part of KS, ain't it? If so, I don't know anyone up that way. Most all my family lives in either Kansas City, KS ~ or in Pleasanton & Mound City area.

19. henry

henry Fan Boy aka Mr Twisty and

The pheasant population in northern kansas is rebounding but is still down from past years. I think the best pheasant hunting is in the southwestern part of the state.

:cheers::cheers:

20. huntforfunnfood

Jun 30, 2003
    new bloomfield mo
    rick
    I never really though of the phesants in ks as being a north south thing
    more an east west thing.
    it seems to me the number of birds cycles alot they only live 2-3 years with no hunting pressure but can have up to 3 hatches a year so if conditions are good the birds can multiply fast but bad conditons they can decress as the birds don't live long

grand dad always said get west of witchta to hunt ringnecks east is quail country (the old timers belief)
    in the past couple years the quail and pheasnts have been better than quite possiably ever longer than any one i know can remember any way
    even far west we see lots of quail now.
    we hunt mostly dodge city area and hays area its been great. i would guess you won't have much luck with ring neck were your at but DO NOT over look the WMA areas if you get a chance to voage further west. they have a map with them all and there private land that basicaly has a public lease. if you get the map head to an area and just drive looking for ones close to water or boardering crop land you can find birds. there open for deer and turkey hunting as well its a good program in my opinion.