Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question was asked yesterday what wood types I recommend and what type of boxes. Every person is different in their tastes, but I've fallen for a more traditional approach this Spring. I'm going "Old School" and going back before Neil Cost was ever heard of. I'm going for the Turpin style boxes... more to the point, I'll be toting a Hen Box this year.

Why am I doing this? Two main reasons, I believe the Turpins are a very realistic sound and they are seldomly used anymore. They are harder to play and master than your traditional box calls. They are straight down wall designed and they have no springs to help the paddle. I believe this unique sound could be an advantage to me this Spring. Give the birds something they are not used to hearing :cheers:

I'll be toting an Osage/Bloodwood hen box, but I'll be picking up 2 of the 3 in the attached picture at Nashville.

They are apple/ebony, bocote/bloodwood, and apple/ebony.

Luckily I'm friends with one of the masters of building Turpin calls, Charlie Parrish. I should have the very good fortune of spending a lot of time with him this Spring hunting too!

[file]96196[/file]

·
Registered
8,772 Posts
Great looking calls.:eek:: Nothing better than a box call to me.:cheers::cheers::cheers:

·
VECtor Custom Calls
41,499 Posts
:cheers: Porter, I hope you know, when you head up to shoot this spring, I'm planning on you bringing a metric ton of turkey calls for us to cuss and discuss. :D

Parker

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
[rquote=1591487&tid=110416&author=hollercaller]Very nice, does your buddy have a website? [/rquote]

Unfortunately this guy does not. He's almost 69 and still building great calls. I can get you his email if you want to contact him. He's not the quickest fellow, but I sure do love his calls!

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
[rquote=1591509&tid=110416&author=Parker]:cheers: Porter, I hope you know, when you head up to shoot this spring, I'm planning on you bringing a metric ton of turkey calls for us to cuss and discuss. :D

Parker[/rquote]

Car load of shotguns and turkey calls... nothing can beat that :cheers:

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
I put a piece of plastic b/w the body of the call and the lid... works like a charm. :D[rquote=1591547&tid=110416&author=20 feet high]sweet box calls, but they darn things sound off at the worst times for me.....when sneaking in, the rubberband just doesn't keep it quite:mad2:[/rquote]

·
VECtor Custom Calls
41,499 Posts
[rquote=1591534&tid=110416&author=Porter][rquote=1591509&tid=110416&author=Parker]:cheers: Porter, I hope you know, when you head up to shoot this spring, I'm planning on you bringing a metric ton of turkey calls for us to cuss and discuss. :D

Parker[/rquote]

Car load of shotguns and turkey calls... nothing can beat that :cheers:[/rquote]

:2thumbsup: Gonna be an awesome time! I just hope the weather cooperates for us when we plan it!

Parker

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.