going back to the Mac in the morning...need ideas

Discussion in 'Fishing General' started by Jeremy, Jun 3, 2009.

1. Jeremy

Jeremy REGULAR MEMBER

Dec 22, 2006
    Matt and I are going to meremac in the morning to hit the buzzer. never been there that early before, so, what techniques do you recommend for catching fish in the AM? this trip is kind of a deal breaker for matt as he's been there 5 times now, and has never once caught a trout...ever. i'll probably take my fly rod (hopeing not many people are there so i dont embarrass myself), but we'll also be taking our regular fishin rigs as well. i tried the dough bait you can buy at the meramac store (the one that has 4 different colors) and have never caught anything on it any time i have bought it. is there anything they have in there that actually works? shawncat...i tried the white jig thing today..not knowing it was one of your recommended tactics, and it didnt work. lookin desperately for ideas here guys.

2. CoHunter

CoHunter New Member

May 19, 2007
    Colorado

3. Jeremy

Jeremy REGULAR MEMBER

Dec 22, 2006
    we're tryin our hardest, the boy is really getting frustrated/disappointed now. we'll be fishing a spot and get no bites, someone walks up using the same bait we are and pulls 6 fish out, throws em back and leaves.:confused:

4. Reflex

Reflex Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2007
    Sullivan, MO
    Black and Yellow Maribou jigs are killers.(probably your best bet)

Lots of people catch them on small rooster tails also.

When the water is clear and you can see good, I like to use Glow Balls under a cork. White, Multi-color, Pink, Orange, Red, Yellow all work real well.

Trout magnets work well, so does swimmin trout worms.

Also tensil jigs work good. You can get them at DJs in St. James, but they aren't open that early in the morning.

5. Pastor

Pastor Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2008
    Leadwood.
    what size line are you using

6. Reflex

Reflex Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2007
    Sullivan, MO
    What holes are you fishing? I usually start out at the whole just down from the handicap area. I have wadders so I start out on the other side of the stream. Then work my way down. Once I leave that whole, I don't normally fish the stretch between it and the the whole at the bathroom. Polarized glasses are a must. Much easier to spot fish and see whats going on in the water.

7. Jeremy

Jeremy REGULAR MEMBER

Dec 22, 2006
    not sure exactly...but its THIN.

8. Jeremy

Jeremy REGULAR MEMBER

Dec 22, 2006
    [rquote=1286266&tid=89963&author=Reflex]What holes are you fishing? I usually start out at the whole just down from the handicap area. I have wadders so I start out on the other side of the stream. Then work my way down. Once I leave that whole, I don't normally fish the stretch between it and the the whole at the bathroom. Polarized glasses are a must. Much easier to spot fish and see whats going on in the water.[/rquote]

were fish at every single hole, we took 5.5 hrs to work from the parking lot, down to the bridge, then back up the other side today. only spot i have ever had luck was 1 hole down from the bathrooms, tbelow the rapids theres a tree in the water on the other side...right there.

9. Reflex

Reflex Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2007
    Sullivan, MO
    I use 2lb maxima and it rocks!!

10. Pastor

Pastor Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2008
    Leadwood.
    I would not use anything over 4lb test. My dad takes several slices of bread and peals of the crust and needs some cooking oil into it. after he gets it all doughed up he douses it with garlic powder. if you are fishing at the morning wistle then it souldnt matter a whole lot what you use. more importantly are you fishing where there is several fish. I second the polorized glass suggestion.

11. catdaddy

catdaddy blu bogart

Dec 30, 2007
    t'aint say'n
    How high is the water?IMO they wont stock as many in the lower half of the stream when it's high for fear of fish escaping.So stay on upper half[2nd hole down,by the steps]Than I would give the kids a bobber and your dough bait.Bait about a foot from bobber and adjust deeper after no hits or 15 minutes or so.I have caught thousands of trout from the Mac on a orange and white trout worm hooked in the middle.I would suggest you try this.Cast it out let it sink tightning yor line slow they'll hammer it......for awhile.Put a small spit shot about a foot above worm.When they slow down,switch to dough bait on bottom.......than switch back to worm......same hook and set up.The key is to keep switching up,it will be tough with the kids.So hook up dough bait and worm,when one gets a fish your net man,when other gets snagged give him your worm rod,grab net and repeat:rof2:After they get there limit or fill of it grab the long rod with a small white jig polorized glasses and sight fish.Good luck I know you'll slay em'.......if you can be there at the buzzer.:rock:

12. Pastor

Pastor Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2008
    Leadwood.
    wish I could meet you there. maybe someone from MWT that could would be willing to. I have always had a nack for catching trout but I know they can be frustrating when you can see them everywhere and not catch them. if you are fishing mostly in the afternoon then you are fishing in the toughest part of the day. the fish are still stung from the morning and have not decided to eat again. hang in there and when you figure it out you will love it. but it is a totally diferent kind of fishing.

13. catdaddy

catdaddy blu bogart

Dec 30, 2007
    t'aint say'n
    [rquote=1286284&tid=89963&author=Pastor]wish I could meet you there. maybe someone from MWT that could would be willing to. I have always had a nack for catching trout but I know they can be frustrating when you can see them everywhere and not catch them. if you are fishing mostly in the afternoon then you are fishing in the toughest part of the day. the fish are still stung from the morning and have not decided to eat again. hang in there and when you figure it out you will love it. but it is a totally diferent kind of fishing.[/rquote]
    +1:rock:

14. buckwacker181

buckwacker181 # of bans record holder

Oct 9, 2006
    Catawussy
    If they sell Double D doe bait at the store there I would try it. Try the brown if they've got it. The last gas station on the right side of the highway going from St. James to Meremac has it as well.

15. ad870

ad870 New Member

Oct 11, 2006
    NE Arkansas
    sounds like it could be a line issue. Have some 2lb spooled onto your reel.

16. venatic

venatic ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

If nothing else, put a 2lb. leader on your line. Put enough on there so the fish can't see it well.

17. Heart shot

Heart shot Active Member

Jul 19, 2008
    St. Louis
    I will second that. Most of the people I see who have trouble catching trout are using line which is WAY to heavy. Use 1 or 2LB test at the most. Also use as little bait as possible on the smallest hook you can find. Trout do not think more is better.. Good luck and let us know how you did.

18. Jeremy

Jeremy REGULAR MEMBER

Dec 22, 2006
    managed to get 6 between matt and I, then we lost all of our good jigs they were bitin on and called it a day. this morning it was up over the road about 6 inches. nothing like a cold wet footed walk first thing in the morning

19. Reflex

Reflex Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2007
    Sullivan, MO
    [rquote=1286928&tid=89963&author=Jeremy]managed to get 6 between matt and I, then we lost all of our good jigs they were bitin on and called it a day. this morning it was up over the road about 6 inches. nothing like a cold wet footed walk first thing in the morning[/rquote]

Sounds like a decent time, espically with the water that high. :rock: