Gobbling

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting General' started by bovinahunter, Mar 10, 2006.

1. bovinahunter

bovinahunter New Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Columbia, MO
    As a Mississippi hunter, I am used to the birds doing a lot of gobbling right now.

As a new Missourian, I need to know when I can expect to start hearing some gobbling action. I am itching to get out in the woods to do some scouting, but I want to make sure that I have the chance to hear a couple gobbles before I do.

When does the gobbling start near Columbia?

2. 90acres

90acres Senior Member

Mar 4, 2003
    Wardsville
    The last several years we have heard them gobbling on opening day of trout season at Montauk. That is March 1st in case you don't know.

3. Rebel2

Rebel2 Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2003
    Ozark, MO
    Well, ill say that they are unfortunately gobbling.. why unfortunate? As with many of the last few years, gobbling early means they gonna be all done come season time...

Birds do gobble off and on year round, however over the last few weeks I have been hearing them pick up the pace in their gobbling action.. which can only mean one thing.. tough season in missouri..

Good luck bovina.. let us know how your scouting goes :cheers:

4. Vector

Vector VECtor Custom Calls

Feb 11, 2003
    N/C MO
    MO is known for its gobbling compared to other states, so you should be pleasently surprised with what you hear this spring compared to MS. And, of course, there's a TON of birds in MO compared to other states.

I go out with the video camera playing with the birds on parks the last week of March. They are fired up then. I always take kids with me before the youth season so that they can get used to their little hearts pounding through their chests! :D

Parker

5. mrclean

mrclean New Member

Nov 30, 2005
    Harrisburg
    I heard one this morning in northern Boone county. Down in the creek bottom at about 7:30am.

6. coyotehunter

coyotehunter PURE KILLER

Jan 19, 2005
    mexico,mo.
    i thought i would go out in the morning and see i can get some strutting toms pics,it supposed to be pretty warm so they ought to be fired up and ready to go.i'm sure their not broke up yet but i am getting bored and need to do something.

7. PFR

PFR New Member

Jul 27, 2003
    Just a couple of my opinions.

1) As said previously, gobbling is starting earlier and earlier due to the non-existant winters and extremely early springs and is basically over and done by the time the season gets here. This year the season is starting as late as it possibly can based on the "never-ever" will change Missouri formula for starting the season so the problem is going to be magnified.

Don't be surprised though that during the 3 weeks of the season some if it will be miserbly cold and wet (stuff that should be Feb. and March weather) and then the next day will be over 90. Missouri weather is noted for changing but it is way different and has way more radical changes here than what used to be considered normal.

2) To disagree with what was said before. There is some darn big areas (mainly in the southern half of the state) that turkeys are d*mn few and far apart compared to 15 or so years ago. So sparse in some areas I fully think the season and/or limit needs to be reduced for a few years. Even that may not help because the nesting success is way lower than the historic average. Mainly due to the crappy cold/wet weather that comes along when it should be nice and the ridiculous predator population that is now in state.

If you hunt up north you will be amazed of how many birds there are compared to what you were used to. You hunt some of these area down south and you are going to be wishing you were back down in Dixie.

3) With the ever earlier springs also expect the woods to be ridicuously thick.......to thick. Basically expect "last day of the Mississippi season foliage" from the start in MO the way it is now.

8. JackJr

JackJr New Member

Nov 30, 2002
    Land Of BLAHS
    And the ticks are gonna be murderous too.:mad2: I have almost identical thoughts on the turkey season as PFR and something needs to change.

Jack

9. Bowpredator

Bowpredator New Member

Jul 24, 2003
    Licking Missouri
    I gripe at the MDC every year about their late seasons. I think it has even more of an impact on the hunting in the southern half of the state since the birds in the south are further along in their breeding season than those in the north. Even when they set the season as earlier as their dingy formula lets them, the third week of the season is always worthless. It's not turkey hunting, it is deer hunting ambush tactics for turkeys and I dont get much enjoyment out of that. I like to work the bird and for years now, the first week is ok, the second week is lukewarm, and the third week, well, why bother. This year, I figure the first week will be lukewarm at best and the last 2 weeks will be worthless as the toms will not respond well at all.

10. 1arrowdaly

1arrowdaly New Member

Dec 17, 2004
    Well, I disagree with yall.
    I've hunted turkeys for the past 21 years in the northern half of the state. I've hunted mornings that started out 70 degrees and was snowing before noon and still had good luck. No matter what the weather conditions, or the time season opens, birds can still be worked and shot. The biggest factor is how much land do you have to be able to cover from daylight to 1:00p. Plain and simple. To take a bird or birds every season it takes alot of work. Some years you hit it right and they fall in your lap or you could call them in with ease. Other years if you don't have the time to cover alot of ground it seems like a bad year. I've worked birds from the opening day clear to the last day, they will work you just have to change your tactics. I myself like a challange and like to have to cover more ground and work several different birds to take one finally. Just don't give up or start out in the dumps just because the "season" is starting later. Get out there and mix it up, cover alot of ground and things will work out.

11. 1arrowdaly

1arrowdaly New Member

Dec 17, 2004
    I have also seen declines in the turkey populations on the properties that I hunt up north. Why, I don't have a clue. I don't hunt these properties as much or take alot of buddies there simply to keep pressure off. Been this way for last 4 years. But in other spots they are thick. Best part of it all is you can't pick a better time of the year to get out and about regardless. If you can't find a bird at all, seriously give me a u2 and I can put you on some public ground up hear that will nock your socks off if you don't mind driving.

12. Bricky

Bricky Active Member

Jul 11, 2003
    Bonne Terre Mo.
    DITTO:cheers:

13. mrclean

mrclean New Member

Nov 30, 2005
    Harrisburg
    Yeah it seems like even in the "bad years" when the "birds just aren't workin'," there's always that same bunch of hunters that always get their bird anyway.

14. Bowpredator

Bowpredator New Member

Jul 24, 2003
    Licking Missouri
    Hunt the southern half of the state and you will see a difference. I have a buddy who owns land in the southern half and hunts some land in the northern half and he can tell a definite difference in the season. I also never said that I dont usually get a bird, I usually do well during the spring season (knock on wood) but the second and third weeks is more of ambush hunting than it is calling. If you dont get to where the turks are gonna be anyway, they will answer but hardly ever come. I'd rather make them come to me than keep circling in front of them.

15. Rebel2

Rebel2 Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2003
    Ozark, MO
    Yessir.... like night and day :cheers:

16. PFR

PFR New Member

Jul 27, 2003
    I will say that I too am one of those people that usually get at least one bird (knock on wood too) per season. I would say that it averages out that I usually get 3 out of the 4 possibly for the year (spring and fall seasons). Some years it is 2 in the spring and one in the fall and some years it is visa versa. Some years it is 2 out of 4 for the year others it is 4 out of 4. I will also say that I've been turkey hunting long enough (since '82) to know that in some of the Ozarks and Ozark fringe areas it is a far, far cry from what it was back then. For one the numbers of birds simply aren't there. Used to be a deal where you would hear 15 or more sounding off every morning. You set up on one, it didn't work, you moved on to the next one, or the next, or the next. Now it is quite common to hear only 1 or 2 birds in a several day period.

Also, with the early spring/too late season set up, whatever birds are there are pretty much finished by the time the season arrives. I've said this before. Something just don't add up when states north of Missouri have spring turkey season starting two weeks earlier than we do.

As Bowpredator said, spring turkey season is becoming an extension of deer season in that you pick a place, build a blind and set and wait and wait and wait for the few birds of the area to finally track back across your hunting area. Not a classic turkey hunt in any sense of the word.

17. Heard a ton of yelpin' and gobblin' about 10 till noon this Sunday... Came from a large flock though I never did get a look at 'em. Saw three nice gobblers later on headed for the flock...no gobbles from them

18. JackJr

JackJr New Member

Nov 30, 2002
    Land Of BLAHS
    PFR, I once again agree with your assessment. The best years were in my opinion from say about 86-92 or there abouts. I am fortunate that I have places to hunt north and south and also Kansas. The amount of gobbles I heard in the late 80s was many many times more than I do now, especially in the souththern regions. Ambushing turkeys is not the way I like to hunt turkeys but I want the meat so if that is the way I have to do it then I will hunt that way. But I don't like hunting that way. The season should start the day following the youth season and not the date that is set now. Also by the 24th of April it was be so green it will make it even tougher than normal. I am not happy with our season turkey dates at all.:stickfight:

Jack