Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner

21 - 40 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
4,019 Posts
Was out listening this morning on my place, didn't hear anything and waited around to see if anything might show up silent and a bunch of derilects in a 4seater RZR come driving up to my stand like they owned the place. After our conversation there wasn't much hope of anything showing up.

·
Registered
32,047 Posts

·
Vendor
61,922 Posts
Report from ks yesterday was huge groups. They said the first one was 150 birds in the morning and 148 birds by evening...

Reactions: tcwild

·
Biology nit wit exposer
79,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I'm setting on the porch now and one started gobbling in the bottom.

Hens were yacking down there early.

·
Registered
6,115 Posts
Pretty sad isn’t it . I have seen around 20 birds traveling around here and they were across the river at Rich Fountain. Used to be birds in every field almost.
I have one bird in my 300 acres in gasconade county. It has been gobbling. One other bird way off on the couple 1000 neighbor acres I can hear. Have been to 3 conservation areas in gasconade and osage counties at dawn 3 different days. Heard a total of 2 birds, on 3500 or so acres. This during the timeframe ( late March, early april) that is typically the peak for gobbling.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Muleskinner, obviously way more birds in parts of state. I just dont think folks in other areas understand just how few and far between birds are in gasconade, osage county areas. Like you said, I can point to 25 fields that on any given morning 15 years ago 10 would have birds in, nothing appreciable changed in land use, I still drive by all the same places, and literally never see birds. Ever.

·
Registered
20,994 Posts
Went and listened at Cole County hunting area yesterday. Heard at least two different gobblers, both a long, long ways off.

·
Vendor
61,922 Posts

·
Registered
833 Posts
I've been running cameras in my usual hunting spots.Here at my house I've a picture of what appears to be a 3 year old and a 2 year old running together with 1 hen.Then a group of at least 7 Jake's running together.Another farm we hunt hasn't yielded any pictures but we've seen groups of 50-75 back in winter and glassed some good birds last Friday.

·
Biology nit wit exposer
79,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
A hunting buddy called me yesterday. He got permission in Howard County on a previously unhunted cattle farm. He heard good gobbling the last two mornings. He is hearing several birds.

·
Registered
833 Posts
I heard 5 different birds gobbling good this morning, loud enough I could hear 2 while watching the morning news,had to step out to hear the others

·
Under appreciated
86,580 Posts
I havent been to the farm to listen but the report I just got is work will begin on our lake on the monday that season opens. With the population down as it is, all I need is dozer work all day for the duration of turkey season.

Should be able to make something work tho. Getting close!

Reactions: henry

·
Addicted Habitat Junkie/Duck Whore
3,338 Posts
They were lighting it up this morning here at the ponderosa for the 1st hour - went back to the house @ 7:15.

Heard at least 4 different gobblers and saw a total of five turkeys.

Reactions: 20' and henry
21 - 40 of 76 Posts