Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner

201 - 220 of 239 Posts

·
Biology nit wit exposer
80,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #201 ·
The two most vocal birds yesterday were the only vocal birds today.

·
Registered
12,552 Posts
I've pretty well written this season off and haven't been out this weekend. Dad took my nephews out and they never heard a peep anywhere and they can hear a pretty long ways from where they were sitting.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
The problem isn’t lack of gobbling. The problem is lack of gobblers in the woods to gobble.

It is really sickening that “they were really fired up” now means 1-3 birds, near and far.

·
Registered
6,165 Posts
We never heard a bird till 7 . Headed to him as quick as we could . He was across the slough and above us on a bluff . Should have circled around but setup on this side of the slough and had a shot straight across. He would answer calls but would not advance . I was using mouth call so I got the Poorvalley glass slate out started cutting on it and mouth call . 15 seconds he gobbled in front of us on the bluff but couldn’t see him 40 yards away . Next thing he flew straight over us . My son shot and dropped him lime a goose. Fun hunt! Son and son-in-law . Good memories !

·
Under appreciated
86,846 Posts
I've pretty well written this season off and haven't been out this weekend. Dad took my nephews out and they never heard a peep anywhere and they can hear a pretty long ways from where they were sitting.
Same on us down the road. VERY sparse gobbles, never more than two and sometimes zero gobbles at all. I see a couple hens each sit but thats it, not even jakes and usually we pass jakes on the regular.
NOBODY can tell me this is the new normal when we used to carry a lot more birds in the past 4-5 years. I can understand not seeing any jakes this year if the hatch sucked last year but man, its depressing. This morning the only gobbles I heard were two farms over and its kinda hard to run and gun across two property lines :D

Cousin down the road hunted the first 4 days and gave up. He went to Kansas earlier because the numbers are so low around us and he wanted to make sure he killed at least one turkey. He is a turkey machine...

Reactions: 20'

·
Registered
12,552 Posts
Same on us down the road. VERY sparse gobbles, never more than two and sometimes zero gobbles at all. I see a couple hens each sit but thats it, not even jakes and usually we pass jakes on the regular.
NOBODY can tell me this is the new normal when we used to carry a lot more birds in the past 4-5 years. I can understand not seeing any jakes this year if the hatch sucked last year but man, its depressing. This morning the only gobbles I heard were two farms over and its kinda hard to run and gun across two property lines :D

Cousin down the road hunted the first 4 days and gave up. He went to Kansas earlier because the numbers are so low around us and he wanted to make sure he killed at least one turkey. He is a turkey machine...
I actually heard a lot of birds the first week but everything was well across property lines. There were birds all over the place this winter deer season too. Every spot we deer hunted had a flock of 8+ male beards hanging around.

In years past, there would usually he a few birda work there way towards the property and we could get on them later in the morning. That wasn’t happening this year for whatever reason.

I will probably go out a few times later this week to see if anything wakes up. There have been seasons before when they really came to life during that third week.

·
Under appreciated
86,846 Posts
I actually heard a lot of birds the first week but everything was well across property lines. There were birds all over the place this winter deer season too. Every spot we deer hunted had a flock of 8+ male beards hanging around.

In years past, there would usually he a few birda work there way towards the property and we could get on them later in the morning. That wasn’t happening this year for whatever reason.

I will probably go out a few times later this week to see if anything wakes up. There have been seasons before when they really came to life during that third week.
We had a winter flock like that this year too, 6 or so long beards and twice that or little more hens but those used to be larger. It always seemed like the larger the winter flock the better hunting the following spring, even though they arent grouped up obviously.
When you have a winter flock that has 6 long beards, that sure spreads thin when they break up over a few farms in the spring.
I’m giving it a break for now, probably just go through the motions later next week just because its season. Hoping to fire one up.

·
In Mourning ___ Save the Ninja
4,952 Posts
Met with a realestate agent 3 days ago ...He retired from MDC a few years back ,,,fisheries biologist ..........Had 2 fingers taped together ,,,Asked whats up ....
Killed his bird it was done flopping ,,,,when he picked it up started back raking his two fingers ,,,,split the web and fingers up pretty bad ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
Nice

·
Vendor
62,216 Posts
Saturday and Sunday I heard probably 7-8 different birds each morning. Only 1 was on my farm. I told myself the first 2 weeks I was going to kill one on this new 50 acres so I didnt go after them. This week that will change It seems like the birds are still pretty bunched up by us. Dad hunted another farm about a mile away and said he heard at least 4 all in one bunch. What I have see is a ton of hens. Id say 4 hens and 2 jakes for ever gobbler Ive seen. Also a bunch of coyotes. Twice Ive seen groups of 3. Momma and young ones I suspect. I watched 3 of them chasing mice in the same w0 acre field with a gobbler and 2 hens for over an hour yesterday.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Been slooow. A few sporadic gobbles. Nothing close.
I am bowhunting out of blind, and the skeeters are wearing me out!

Reactions: WBF

·
Under appreciated
86,846 Posts
Yesterday I saw one hen and a possum with his nose to the ground looking for nests. It was an awesome morning. lol

·
Registered
18,658 Posts
This morning was the first hunt of the season whereas I should have packed the thermacell .... blood sucking bastages!

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
This morning was the first hunt of the season whereas I should have packed the thermacell .... blood sucking bastages!
Yep for sure! Forgot my thermacell

Reactions: WBF

·
13,257 Posts
Megalomania sounds like a flower. Maybe somebody just needs deflowered.
Henry, I am here if someone needs to be deflowered...

·
13,257 Posts
Were turkey suddenly created in a a vacuum in the 1960’s
Pretty darn close. We had no turkeys on our farm till mid 70s. Now we had a few. All hunters in my group agreed distant shot numbers were noticeably down in numbers.

·
13,257 Posts
Met with a realestate agent 3 days ago ...He retired from MDC a few years back ,,,fisheries biologist ..........Had 2 fingers taped together ,,,Asked whats up ....
Killed his bird it was done flopping ,,,,when he picked it up started back raking his two fingers ,,,,split the web and fingers up pretty bad ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Where are you looking?

Reactions: kgdog

·
Registered
417 Posts

Get a Small Citronella Candle and put in the blind with You, WORKS EVERY TIME!

·
Registered
417 Posts
Went out this morning heard a couple Gobbles about 6:15 then at about 8 AM
the wind started blowing so hard some limbs on the tree I was sitting under sounded like they were cracking, No Way Was I Gunna Stay, so I left!
Got a dentist Appt. in the morning so looks like Thru. before I get back into the woods!

201 - 220 of 239 Posts