Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
3,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been out a half dozen mornings listening and have heard decent gobbling on the roost. After fly down though it’s silence. Been that way on every property I’ve listened on. This morning I had a hen cutting and yelping on the ground and she couldn’t even yank a response from the gobbler that 10 minutes before was gobbling good on the roost. Are they henned up so bad they just aren’t talking once they’re down? Too early for alot of gobbling on the ground? I wasn’t real surprised about it a week or two ago but I’d have thought it would have gotten better by now.

· Registered
4,019 Posts
Henned up as soon as they hit the ground is my guess. Later mornings sometimes is best in that scenario. Unless somehow you can get between the gobblers and the hens before they fly down and they see a decoy.

1,533 Posts
Henned up as soon as they hit the ground is my guess. Later mornings sometimes is best in that scenario. Unless somehow you can get between the gobblers and the hens before they fly down and they see a decoy.
I agree with this. A late good warm up may of started the courtship later this year. Hasn't been super cold but not warm either. Late morning to end of legal hours may be better hunting in regards to communicating with the gobblers if the hens don't start laying soon.

Times like this, I like to set up in the general direction of movement if I don't know where they are going. If they aren't responding and coming to calls, decoys may be more harmful than helpful in the mornings. Hens have a knack for leading the group away from other "turkeys." They are tools but not needed to accomplish the goal. Setting up close to the roast and ambushing in the morning; setting up in strutting zones and run and gunning in the late morning is what I like to do. Using calls and decoys when called for. May be a season that patience will pay off more than calling and decoys.

· Banned
81,617 Posts
It will get better as far as gobbling on the ground.

· Registered
859 Posts
I agree with this. A late good warm up may of started the courtship later this year. Hasn't been super cold but not warm either. Late morning to end of legal hours may be better hunting in regards to communicating with the gobblers if the hens don't start laying soon.

Times like this, I like to set up in the general direction of movement if I don't know where they are going. If they aren't responding and coming to calls, decoys may be more harmful than helpful in the mornings. Hens have a knack for leading the group away from other "turkeys." They are tools but not needed to accomplish the goal. Setting up close to the roast and ambushing in the morning; setting up in strutting zones and run and gunning in the late morning is what I like to do. Using calls and decoys when called for. May be a season that patience will pay off more than calling and decoys.
Calling helped a lot last weekend but the decoys aren't needed as you said. Was able to call one we scared back so he seemed interested in calling.

· Registered
3,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It will get better as far as gobbling on the ground.
It always busts loose sometime I know. Just figured I'd have seen some sign of it by now

· Banned
81,617 Posts
It always busts loose sometime I know. Just figured I'd have seen some sign of it by now
Greenup seems to be behind. When visibility goes down some they should become a little more vocal .02

Reactions: aquafowler

· Registered
3,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Greenup seems to be behind. When visibility goes down some they should become a little more vocal .02
That's for sure true. Took a walk in the woods Saturday and the weeds, may apples, everything was just starting to poke through. These warm temps should push it along tho

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.