Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner

glass and .204 boys

899 views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  67Firebird 
#1 ·
well the over time has been a pain in the butt, however after this weekend i will have my new toy (.204) paid off. since duck season is coming up a scope fitting of the .204 will be put on hold until after january. however, being that i will have a bill or so left after the gun is paid off i was wondering, is the mueller 4.5-14x40 seriously underscoping this caliber. with my travels during duck and deer season and a couple trips out west it might end up wearing one through a prairie dog hunt but when it was doable to upgrade would sit upon my 17HMR. i guess what i am asking here for the people in the know is it a scope that is adeqaute for 300 to 400 yard shots if it did make the trip to the p-dog field?

#2 ·
wingman i don't have the experiance at those distances to comment first hand but i would venture to guess that at those distances mirage comes into play on a hot afternoon and would require you to turn down the power some. also at those distances i would also venture to guess that a under powered scope with exceptional resolution would be better than a larger powered scope that had average to poor resolution. 5 bucks says glen can clear all this up in one post. :rotfl:

#3 ·
It would work okay, I've used a 4-12 Leupold and had pretty good luck with it, on a clear day, of course. I've been giving a really, really hard look at the Nikon Buckmasters 6-18, though, with more power, it looks really nice, AND it has the new side focus, which is pretty nice, too. There's a place on the web with them, pretty cheap, too
www.rifleshootersite.com,
I think it is, he has them, shipped out, for less than $300, that's not a lot more than the Mueller, and is a name known to all, which might make resell better if it comes to that. If that's too much to swing, there are no flies on the Mueller, but I'd want a bit more than that, just in case...........

#5 ·
4.5-14 on my .22-250 and found it quite adequate at the ranges you mentioned..
Clear day, course.

Oh.. be sure and get the right reticle :D
I know you will.

Mueller is on the way for my .17 :dancin:

#6 ·
Mueller makes a 4-16 and a 8.5-25, also on that web site glen posted they have a bushnell legend 5-15 for 175.00, and that legend series is a sleeper in terms of quality. they boast 91% or 93% light transmission, not too shabby.

#7 ·
And ther is a Bushnell Optic factory outlet store in Lees Summit mo & Lenexa ks.. optics are usually 30% off for a demo. They do shipping

mo 816-525-2220
ks 913-310 0783

Bushnell scopes are also used by the Army Ranger snipers.. I was told so by one ..just a referance if you wanted one

#8 ·
What do you guys think of Redfield scopes? I've never had a problem yet, but I had a gunsmith tell me he toured the factory (the original one, before they sold out), and that he saw some part being put in place with epoxy rather than pinned like other manufacturers.
I'm happy with them, but just wondering what the more experienced guys think. :cheers:

#9 ·
gogop, i don't have any experiance with them at all, but they along with simons & weaver are all owned by Mead. now mead has been having some problems witht their mfr'g after they re-aranged their plants. the original plant they had set up to mfr nothing but their products over in china had a problem getting quality control in place and ran almost a full year behind in getting out the new master series scopes by simmons because of it. redfield is suppose to be a step up from simmons and then weaver their top of the line. they redisgned both the simmons and the redfield scopes to incorperate the old weaver accu-track design which is a plus, but the first scopes that starting comming out of their new plants where not up to snuff from what i have read. all that being said they (Mead) quickly subbed out mfr to another optic mfr plant until they get their own house in line. i don't know where everthing is sitting as of today but should mead be getting everthing in line in terms of mfr'g. then you could expect simons and redfield to once again produce good optics that had once earned them a reputaion as an affordable and quality glass (see any of the old japan made simmons). Weaver has always been a good scope and are seen alot on top of a lot of bench rest rifles in the "V" model/series. on that note i thought i saw where for some stupid reason Mead may be discontinueing that line and there have been good prices on those very nice scopes. for the record, sightron has slowly started to creep up on weaver. i have one of their 6x benchrest scopes on my .22 and it is awsome glass. i would be real curious to here from someone who has one of the new redfields and get a field report from them.

#10 ·
thaks guys, knew i would get some good answers and options from you. now time to start exploring.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.