Giving it up. All Together.

Discussion in '2011 Whitetail General' started by KixGrizz, Nov 14, 2010.

1. KixGrizz

KixGrizz New Member

Dec 30, 2008
    Way Out Here
    I have come to realize that I am not much good as a deer hunter so im giving it up I believe. Been hunting since I was 14 I am now 29. I had to teach myself everything I know cuz I had no one to show me how to hunt shoot a bow or rifle and Its been 4 years since I have killed a deer rifle or bow and its starting to get old. I must not have taught myself to well. I bust my arse hanging stands and walking miles and miles deer hunting and ut seems to do no good so i am quitting deer hunting all togetherand gonna concentrate on waterfowl and predator hunting from now on. Time to try something new. Maybe I wont be a terrible waterfowler like I am a deer hunter. Guess we shall see. Wish me luck.

2. Cburrows_tx

Cburrows_tx New Member

Nov 24, 2004
    Lamar Co. Texas
    HEY I HAVE BEEN THERE! TOOK A GOOD BUCK 6 YEARS AGO. HAD NOT KILLED A DEER SINCE. EVERYONE ELSE HAD TAKEN CARE OF THE DOE MEAT SO I WAS JUST ENJOYING MY TIME AWAY. WELL THERE WAS ONLY ONE DOWN HERE AND YESTERDAY I HAD MY CHANCE ON A BUCK AND I TOOK IT. I HAD ONLY SEEN 3 DOES YESTERDAY TILL THAT POINT AND THEY WERE ON THE NEIGHBORS LAND. SO NO SHOOTING THEM. 20 MINUTES LATER AND A FEW GRUNTS OUT POPS THE BUCK. THEN POP HE GOT IT STRAIGHT TO THE OL HEART! SO 2 DEER DOWN AND WE WILL BE EATING LOIN TOMORROW! I LOVE BEING OUT THERE AND CONNECTING WITH A DEER BUT THAT IS JUST THE BONUS PART FOR ME.

MY MOM DID NOT START HUNTING TILL ABOUT 10 YEARS AGO. NOONE TAUGHT ME THE DEER HUNTING EITHER. I WENT ONCE WITH A GUY I WAS DAYING IN HIGH SCHOOL, THAT IS WAHT GOT ME INTO IT. FROM THERE IT WAS READING AND LISTENING AND ASKING QUESTIONS. NOTHING WRONG WITH BEING SELF TAUGHT.

WHAT EVER YOU DECIDE TO DO............. I WISH YOU THE BEST!

3. FlightCancelled

FlightCancelled New Member

Nov 12, 2010
    Fo Sho............ I put way tooooooo much time to hunting deer. and for what?

1 i hate sitting there quietly
    2 having to be paranoid about you scent
    3having to pass on everything you see just bc you MAY see "the one"
    4 the amount of work that goes into after the kill

with duckhunting (for the most part) you can kick it with buddies, be as loud as you want (in between flights), beg for the wind to be at your back, drive the boat/truck right to where youre hunting, and is super is cleaning your kill.

those are some of the reasons i gave up deer hunting.....And ive shot some BIG deer in my day. its not the lack of seeing deer, i just think theres other stuff i could be doing thats more enjoyable than sitting on imposable finger.

4. htredneck

htredneck Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2008
    Cass County, MO
    Personally, I think giving up at 29 would one of the BIGGEST mistakes you make.
    That is why they call it hunting and not killing. Getting a deer is just a bonus.
    You will see, hear and experience things in the woods that you will never find anywhere else...

5. FlightCancelled

FlightCancelled New Member

Nov 12, 2010
    [rquote=1895632&tid=132087&author=htredneck]Personally, I think giving up at 29 would one of the BIGGEST mistakes you make.
    That is why they call it hunting and not killing. Getting a deer is just a bonus.
    You will see, hear and experience things in the woods that you will never find anywhere else...[/rquote]

Ive always been told if its not enjoyable to you, then go find something else to get your pleasures from. Its hard for me to see myself boring myself to death doing something i hate. i think id rather beat my thumb with a hammer than sit alllllll day to see a worthless slick head

6. leasburg

leasburg Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2007
    South County MO
    you will probally be bad at waterfowling too :D

7. KixGrizz

KixGrizz New Member

Dec 30, 2008
    Way Out Here
    Lol probably so. But at least ill have fun tryun something new.

8. Longbow26

Longbow26 New Member

Feb 5, 2005
    Farmington, MO
    Heck i had a 8 year dry spell between my first archery kill and second one. I deer hunted rifle season 10 years befor i got my first rifle kill.

Even the most deer save ppl get a dry seasaon now and then.

If you do end up quitting deer season i just hope you dont convert your frustration into anti deer hunting thouhgts or words.

9. sand_manms

sand_manms New Member

Dec 13, 2005
    South Mississippi
    I had to teach myself deer hunting too. I grew up hunting squirell and doves. My hunt ratio to kill is not the best but I have taken deer and have passed on deer. I had to give it up for health reasons and I would love to be back in the woods. I hunted when I wanted to and as long as I wanted to. It's not about getting a buck every time you go out but being out in nature. Here some does can be bred twice in a year because of excellant food supply and warmer weather. I had a doe come out on a pipeline looking very nervous. She turned her head and bleated and a set of trips came bounding out of the woods. This was late November. I lowered my rifle and watched the fawns play. I went home satisfied that day and didn't fire a shot. So don't give up! You will stumble on the right combonation and begin to see and kill deer.

10. duhunt911

duhunt911 Member

May 18, 2009
    O'Fallon
    Waterfowling will drive you crazier then deer hunting trust me. When you think you got the birds figured they so something different. I go back and forth when i burn out on one i switch for a week and so on.

11. 76_michael

76_michael Active Member

Jul 24, 2008
    Lincoln Co.
    [rquote=1895632&tid=132087&author=htredneck]Personally, I think giving up at 29 would one of the BIGGEST mistakes you make.
    You will see, hear and experience things in the woods that you will never find anywhere else...[/rquote]

That is the worst thing you can do we all have dry spells , I say one thing if you think deer huntin is hard wait till you start varmit huntin It took me 4 years to get my first one ane it took lots of sets and time before I got another one , and you still have to scout , play the wind and no how to call elec. calls are cheating , ( I use mouth calls ) , If your ever up my way I would be glad to take you with me , but I think where your at there is alot more yotes and cats than hear .

12. Kixx, I'm right there with ya. But trust me, duck hunting aint no nbetter. I kill deer every year. Can't remember the last year I didn't kill one. But, anymore I soit in the stand anmd think about duck hunting. One wor of advice, don't give it up just yet, but take it easy. By that I mean don't do it all out. Make it a retreat, and not an obsession.

13. Cherokee

Cherokee New Member

Feb 5, 2005
    Talk about a dry spell, I went from 1990- 2005 without even seeing a deer. Too many other hunters on public land. I really would have second thoughts about quitting. At least it gives you time to get away from everything and just sit and watch nature. You'll miss it, I know it.
    Either way, Good Luck. Hope you still hang out here!

14. KixGrizz

KixGrizz New Member

Dec 30, 2008
    Way Out Here
    Thanks fir all the advice guys. I think chad maybe right. Im so obsessed with it its not even funny. Idk. Im just in a slump about it and seeing every one else kills is gettin to me I guess. Plus. I've had one to many adult beverages this evening so im whining a bit. Lol.

15. marshallgrn

marshallgrn New Member

Apr 20, 2008
    in hiding
    If i didnt kill a deer in one season i would quit

16. leasburg

leasburg Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2007
    South County MO
    dontforget there is no deer is southern momo

17. seth_turner_04

seth_turner_04 Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2005
    Owensville, MO
    [rquote=1895720&tid=132087&author=marshallgrn]If i didnt kill a deer in one season i would quit[/rquote]

Heck if I didn't kill something I would be thinking about it myself. Im used to killing atleast one buck and a couple slickheads with the bow every year. Gun kills are just a bonus.

18. macon county boy

macon county boy New Member

May 6, 2009
    well dont get your hopes up on yote hunting it aint as easy as you might think,ive killed way more deer than i have coyotes,those yotes can be smart.

19. Shrapnel

Shrapnel Active Member

Oct 22, 2008
    Imperial MO
    Stop trying to talk him out of it guys, I'm watching the for sale forum like a hawk for his gear.

QUIT KIXX YOU WILL NEVER GET IT!

20. golfnut1969

golfnut1969 You're not a golfer.

I just started deer hunting (3rd year now). I haven't killed a deer, but I've seen plenty of them. I haven't had a clean shot on one yet, and haven't fired my gun while deer hunting but I enjoy it all the same.

I actually like sitting out in the woods by myself and as for worrying about scent and all that...I don't. I think deer see more people before they even get close enought to smell them. I was out in the woods in late sept 2008 squirrel hunting and had two deer walk up within feet of me. They were close enough that I could see their eyes following the smoke coming off the end of my cigar. Had a big doe and a 6pt buck walk up within 20 yards the same day. That's what started me into deer hunting. That day.

I would love to shoot a deer, but that's only part of the hunt. I enjoy seeing them and the other wildlife. I like the silence. I like the time away from traffic, offices, people. I enjoy the walk to and from my stand. I like the walks I take out scouting (ussually take the squirrel gun with me).

If your just hunting deer to kill one and missing all the other 'stuff', your probably better off quitting. As for the coyotes and cats! Good Luck. Your having trouble with deer? Deer aren't the brightest animals in the woods, mostly get by on instincts. Coyotes are dogs, and smart ones. I've been hunting them for 4 years or so and I haven't seen one yet. At least you see deer. I mean think about it, there are plenty of deer and coyotes around, but how often do you see a coyote on the side of the road (dead or alive), now how about deer?