Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Think I got a breech plug stuck in my muzzleloader. Tried and tried to get it out and all I am doing is bending the spike I run through the piece I unscrew the breech plug with. Any thoughts as how to get the darn thing out of there?

·
Registered
2,918 Posts
They're a pain in the rear to get out sometimes. I spent an hour one night gettin mine out. Seems like someone told me they are supposed to be lubricated with somethin before puttin em back in????? I dont know what the stuff is tho. Would have to be somethin that wouldn't freeze up in cold weather tho I'd think

·
Registered
23,529 Posts
They make grease for breech plugs, but I can't tell you much about it. Seems to me there was a long thread on this very subject somewhere here.

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
The lube that you're supposed to use is called Breach Plug Grease. It's not too expensive but it's a must as far as I'm concerned. I only shoot mine a couple times then I give it a good cleaning. If you don't clean yours too often though, I'd think even with the breach plug grease it would be hard to get it out.

[Edited on 12-11-2009 by Hunter79]

·
Registered
6,274 Posts
Thankfully I've never had one stuck but I would try to apply heat to it first thing. Might not be a bad idea to soak it down w/penetrating oil for a couple days prior also. Before you reinstall use some thread anti-seize on it.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Deadeye

Before going to the tuff techniques to get the plug out - I would suggest that you heat the breech area.

if you can remove the trigger assembly, bolt, and scope from the gun. Then I would start by using boiling water, pour boiling water down the bore then submerge the the breech in a container of boiling water.

The heat and temperature will expand the metal, with the barrel expanding more rapidly than the dense breech plug.

When it is well heated then with a good fitting socket see if you can turn the plug out.

Might try wrapping your plug in teflon tape to keep it from sticking.... much cleaner than grease..

[file]83636[/file]

[file]83638[/file]

[file]83640[/file]

[Edited on 10/6/2008 by sabotloader]

·
Registered
21,514 Posts
Try soaking in Break Free Lube if this doesn't work try Heat.

Next time use a Breach Plug Lube and just Finger tight.

oneshot
:D Let the Big Grin spit on it.

·
Registered
6,274 Posts
sabotloader, I've never tried the teflon tape, does it work good? any special kind or just what is laying on my workbench?

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
[rquote=1506142&tid=105048&author=nastyjack63]sabotloader, I've never tried the teflon tape, does it work good? any special kind or just what is laying on my workbench?[/rquote]

x2

·
Registered
69,789 Posts
Not to say that the teflon tape trick wouldn't work but you'd think that the muzzle loader makers would promote this technique instead of using breech plug grease.......just say'n...:shrug:

·
Registered
648 Posts
[rquote=1506172&tid=105048&author=Mailman]Not to say that the teflon tape trick wouldn't work but you'd think that the muzzle loader makers would promote this technique instead of using breech plug grease.......just say'n...:shrug:[/rquote]
But they sell the grease.:cheers:

·
Registered
648 Posts
[rquote=1506142&tid=105048&author=nastyjack63]sabotloader, I've never tried the teflon tape, does it work good? any special kind or just what is laying on my workbench?[/rquote]
The pink tape from Oatey works best.

·
Registered
435 Posts
2manyhobbies

TC does sale the tape - but theirs is to darn expensive - It is a lot cheaper at you local hardware store.

I have been using it every since Underclocked invented the idea several years ago.

·
Registered
69,789 Posts
And you've never had a problem getting the plug out even after lets say ..50 rounds through it?

This just might be one of those times where the old dog learns a new trick..:thinking:

·
Registered
435 Posts
Hunter79

The tape is color coded as to it's thickness - white being the thinnest - then pink - then yellow.

You have to find the tape that will work best in your gun. The thickness is detirmened by how tight/loose your BP is in the threads. Most but not all will use the pink tape.

There is a preocess to putting it on correctly and it is more time consuming than grease - but it is a lot cleaner.

Might check this thread...

http://huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/230453-teflon-tape-breech-plug-necessity.html

If UC finds this thread he can add his thoughts...

·
Registered
435 Posts
Mailman

I have never shot 50 at one range trip in one gun gone as may as 45 in the Omega. It was a breeze to to the plug out when I got home. And I do not loosen it while shooting either - just load and shoot.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts