Featured Getting going on fall grunters

Discussion in 'Whitetails General' started by Vector, May 11, 2018.

1. Vector

Vector VECtor Custom Calls

Feb 11, 2003
    N/C MO
    7BB5E698-73D8-4D4C-AD4C-D0903BBA38CB.jpeg 625BBF02-3E82-455E-9A56-1A3012F3C157.png Its that time of year when I start diving deep into getting grunters going for the fall. If you want to get something going, hit me up by PM so we can get an idea picked out. I have a lot of the colorwood colors in hand and ready to go. Several camo-ish colors, but a lot of school-type colors too, including purple over yellow now. Domestic woods..... I like running persimmon and hedge, and also have mesquite and walnut if you like them. Any of those woods, and colorwood are 55 each total.

If you want something overly unique like a stabilized and dyed maple burl or yellow cedar burl, their cost all depends on the wood but tend to run 100-120 each. A year ago, I thought that was crazy, but I now understand some folks really like a super unique grunter just for them.

Doe grunts are also on my to-do list (not bleats, these are soft, light grunts).

Any way on the wood types, I want to make you something that you will appreciate and will be happy to hand down to a family member or friend years from now. If you have a grunter from me that needs a tune up of new o-rings or a new reed, now is also the time to get it in the mail to me so I can whip it back into shape. I want your grunter to run 100 percent right every time you rely on it this fall.

Many thanks to all the MWT members. Its been awesome to hear all the unique deer hunting stories that have came from the calls. No doubt deer call making has surpassed my turkey call making by a ways, but I still like the process of each a lot.

My grandfather who was my number one influence in getting me working up wood has been gone a little over a year now. We are headed to his barn this weekend to get serious about moving the family fell wood to my shop. Its going to be a tough haul. Please be with us a little this next month or so as my boys and I work on this changing of the guard.

A couple overly amazing times this spring turkey season got passed to me. One where an MWT member was able to take his grandfather on a turkey hunt, and they talked about things they had never talked about before. And that member shared with me that experience taking place because of the call I made him. The other was quite the opposite, yet still the same, where a member took his grandson turkey hunting for his first bird and they doubled up on jakes. I am humbled to be a small part of experiences like those, and at the same time overly excited about the potential to be a part of more in the future.

Last fall, I had decided my hope was to get a story back from a grown man who had hunted a decent many years, attributing killing his biggest buck of his life because one of my grunters turned his buck and brought him in for the perfect shot. I had heard the story a few times before, and figured that was kind of a year-end hope to hear about again. Then it started happening. And it happened again and again. SEVEN times! That may be a stretch to meet again for 2018, but I am ready to see. :)

Share what ever you want in this thread. Its your adventure, I just want to quietly come along. ;)

Last edited: May 11, 2018
    beanpile, venatic, MoBowman and 13 others like this.
  2. Vector

Feb 11, 2003
    N/C MO
    I should note, the photos I have attached are of past calls made for an example of options.

3. =Travis=

=Travis= Member

Oct 20, 2008
    Blue Springs, MO
    Second picture. Third from the left. Looks like fire. What kind of wood is that?

Vector likes this.
  4. Hawk

Hawk Well-Known Member Sponsor

Oct 15, 2009
    99% sure its hedge.

Vector likes this.
  5. Vector

Feb 11, 2003
    N/C MO
    Yes Travis, that is hedge. The yellow is the natural color, and then I slowly take a flame to the hedge and get that color.

I have this method in my vimeo video my friend made for me that is in my signature line. It fun to do, only works this well on hedge.

6. Wings Fan 19

Wings Fan 19 Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2008
    Kansas City, MO.
    Vince, I just want to say thank you for being you and doing what you do. The by products of your craft spreads far and wide, sprawling across time and space. You have vicariously taken part of so many memories and been part of things you don't even know about....
    My biggest buck died after hearing a Vector grunt, Red's first and second bucks were Vector victims... turkey hunt after turkey hunt include you.... donations of Vector items to MDS have raised 100's and 100's of dollars.
    It's a good thing you do and I am glad to be a tiny part of it.

beanpile, rat, jawesome357 and 2 others like this.
  7. Vector

Feb 11, 2003
    N/C MO
    Thank you very much Greg. Folks have given me some awesome opportunities to be a part of their lives and adventures.

Today was a tough day. T and I began the process of cleaning out the family barn and moving it to our place. It was.....ugh.....I am lost for the words. I guess.....numbing. SO much wood went to the burn pile, but who knows what will be made with the rest. Time will tell. Its going to be fun.

Wings Fan 19 and DCSarchette like this.
  8. =Travis=

=Travis= Member

Oct 20, 2008
    Blue Springs, MO
    I think it’s gorgeous. I have one from many many years ago. I may need another now after seeing that.

Vector likes this.
  9. kcangler84

kcangler84 Senior Member

Apr 4, 2009
    South of KC
    This is something every deer hunter NEEDS. Store bought grunt tubes don't even come close to a Vector. I have killed at least 5 mature bucks and called in numerous others thanks to this call. I currently have two (just in case I drop one out of the tree or heaven forbid lose one) and will be ordering another one soon for my daughter. Thanks again Vince!

Vector likes this.
  10. Refuze2falo

Refuze2falo Plain White Cracker

Aug 13, 2008
    We are neighbors
    Do you guarantee certain size bucks with these?

11. Vector

Feb 11, 2003
    N/C MO
    Guaranteed to bring a 110” 8 pointer at least 5 yards closer within the first 5 years of owning the call. As long as you use the call in the rut each season. Money back guarantee when you return the call. Guaranteed. Write it down. Bank on it. Tell your momma I said.

12. robbie

robbie Member

Nov 18, 2009
    Growing up my Dad had a bike shop.
    All bikes carried a solid warranty.
    Once around the block or until it broke - whichever came first.

Vector likes this.
  13. Vector

Feb 11, 2003
    N/C MO