getting 2 guns

Discussion in 'Reloading Tips & Tricks' started by Big John, Feb 28, 2006.

1. Big John

Big John New Member

Oct 24, 2003
    Well as I mentioned I am getting both the Savage 111 and the Charles Daly the Savage is a .270 and the CD is a .243 how about some loads you guys like for those calibers for what ever you are using them for.

2. JBMan

JBMan New Member

Nov 16, 2004
    Jackson
    looking through the load books.. you might want to tinker with this,

for the 270.... 150 nosler solid base ballistic tip bullet(yellow tip), BC .496. behind 52.0 grains of H4350 for a muzzle velocity 2782 fps, and a load density of 83 %.

that should be plenty of cannon for deer here in MO.

for the 243.... 70 grain nosler solid base ballistic tip bullet ( purple tip), BC. 310 behind 42 grains of varget for a muzzel velocity of 3616 fps and load density of 83%

just a start, but these looked to be the best loads for velocity and accuracy in the nosler book. i trust those bullets to the core

hope it helps

3. Big John

Big John New Member

Oct 24, 2003
    Thanks JB , I have load books however it is good to see your favorites as I do not know what loads work for those calibers. Thanks again.

4. Big John

Big John New Member

Oct 24, 2003
    Well here they are.

5. Big John

Big John New Member

Oct 24, 2003
    This is the Daly

6. Mrwonderful

Mrwonderful New Member

Jan 16, 2006
    Good lookin guns Big John

That autta cover yotes to elk.
    :wave:

7. Keith

Keith New Member

Dec 13, 2002
    Springfield, MO.
    Congrats John.....Great looking rifles.............:cheers:

8. Rebel2

Rebel2 Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2003
    Ozark, MO
    Sweet lookin rifles man!

9. midmomoney

midmomoney New Member

Nov 19, 2006
    243 70 gr sierra blitz king hodgdon benchmark 270 120 nosler bt hodgdon 4895

10. Bronco Brian

Bronco Brian New Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Georgetown, MN
    BJ,
    Howed you manage that score?

11. MOGC

MOGC Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2008
    SE Ozark's
    In the .270 a quality 130 gr. bullet with a caseful of H4831 is the standard loading for many years. Seriously, look up beginning loads for H4831 and the 130 gr. in the .270 Winchester and work up to a load that makes you happy. Worked wonders for Jack O'Connor for a very long time!

In the .243 try the Sierra 85 gr. BTHP with either Varget or IMR-4064. As I told Bear in his post, it'll make you happier than Hugh Hefner! :D

12. Jeremy

Jeremy REGULAR MEMBER

Dec 22, 2006
    i like the loads that come in the yellow and green boxes marked remington. alot easier and less time consuming.:D

13. Swampy

Swampy New Member

I shot those loads for years Jeremy until I started hunting with a guy who handloaded. He made a shell for my gun that shoots much better than factory ammo on paper. I know that the doe I shot with my load this year at 186 yards flipped over on her back and never moved. Every time I shoot my rifle I have complete confidence in the way I shoot and exactly where the placement will be. I know my cold shot is one inch high and left from dead center every time. At 200 yards my cold shot will touch the ten ring and the next shot will be in it every time with handloads. With boxed ammo I could never get those results every time.

14. Big John

Big John New Member

Oct 24, 2003
    I would like to first of all thank you guys for the info, you do know that this thread is 2 almost 3 yrs old ..............

Bronco Brian the guns were sold to my Dad from a guy who had just got out of the firearms business and wanted to sell them cheap for cash and he past along the cheapness....

15. Bronco Brian

Bronco Brian New Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Georgetown, MN
    I didnt look at the date on the original thread-Looks like Midmo sent us off on a cold trail:hysterical:

16. Mailman

Mailman Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Blue Springs Mo
    My pet load for the .243 would be using the 100gr Sierra Game King SBT (#1560) with Remington Peters Brass and Win. WLR primer with 35 grains of IMR 4320. It is on the slower end of the spectrum at 2723 fps but it is the most accurate in my Remington 700.