German shorthair

Discussion in 'Dogs' started by bassbuster83, Mar 15, 2017.

1. watermen

watermen Member

Dec 22, 2011
    They have webbed feet, They come from the same stock as the DK I'm sure. They are not as versatile as some of the german lines and are a softer dog in general like the FBECS, and EB's. The continentals in general, are easier training more out of the box dogs if well bred. IMHO. She still barks, but this is my second dog and both of us would have been in the barn if she was a PIA in the house. She definitely is birdy and has the switch I and every other dog owner looks for. I think she will compliment the other hard charging meathead well. For primarily water work there are better lines although there is a kid in Fargo with a really nice male that does alot of water work with him. I have nothing against Labs, love them and had 8 over the years, but as I get older I like a pointing dog I don't have to run behind. These are very smart, biddable dogs that are good citizens in the house. They run 40-55 lbs in general, so a little smaller. They also have breeding roots in MO.
  2. Wade

Wade Senior Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Kansas City

3. bassbuster83

bassbuster83 Active Member

Nov 5, 2005
    Thanks Wade. I'll give them a holler
  4. dw84

dw84 Junior Member

Oct 18, 2013
    Lincoln co.
    Dumb question but why do you cut the tails on German short hairs ?
  5. bassbuster83

bassbuster83 Active Member

Nov 5, 2005
    I could be wrong but I think it's more appearance than purpose. Not all are docked but it's pretty common in the breeding world it seems.
  6. jparrish

jparrish Member

Oct 29, 2012
    All the research I have done boils down to health and not having infected bloody tails.
  7. jparrish

jparrish Member

Oct 29, 2012
    In Europe they use to dock tails on working class dogs and pets got to keep their longer tails. Don't tell a pointer guy that though. :)
  8. Yahoo

Yahoo Well-Known Member

Sep 27, 2008
    St Charles
    So I found some of those french dogs in Wenztville :) but didn't go that route.

I found a litter of GSP, mom out of Muddy Creek, sire out of Murphy's here in STL, we picked a solid liver male, naming him Boone, and gonna be picking him up in January.

If the OP needs some info, send me a PM and I will get you contact info.
    birdhunter33 and bassbuster83 like this.
  9. cueball2

cueball2 New Member

Jul 7, 2009
    Not in MO but you might try
    John Prince
    Pittsburg, KS
    620 724 4276

Hunted behind his in SD very impressed
    jparrish and bassbuster83 like this.