General motors on the same crash course as Chrysler

Discussion in 'Social Club' started by Jeremy, Jun 1, 2009.

1. Jeremy

Jeremy REGULAR MEMBER

Dec 22, 2006
    General Motors to close or idle 12 more plants
    Monday, June 1st, 2009 at 7:22am EST

AP Photo/Carlos Osorio

DETROIT

General Motors Corp. says it will permanently close nine more plants and idle three others to trim production and labor costs under bankruptcy protection.

Assembly plants in Pontiac, Mich., and Wilmington, Del., will close this year, while plants in Spring Hill, Tenn., and Orion, Mich., will shut down production but remain on standby.

Powertrain plants in Livonia, Flint and Ypsilanti Township, Mich. will close next year, along with plants in Parma, Ohio, and Fredericksburg, Va.

Stamping plants in Indianapolis and Mansfield, Ohio, also will close. A stamping plant in Pontiac, Mich., will be idled but remain in a standby capacity.

GM says it will also close service and parts warehouses in Boston, Jacksonville, Fla., and Columbus, Ohio, by the end of this year.

2. Rebel2

Rebel2 Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2003
    Ozark, MO

3. Reflex

Reflex Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2007
    Sullivan, MO
    Thats why I am looking at buying a Ford truck!!! Hopefully I can start looking when I get back from my honeymoon. Although, I found one last night I would buy. :claphands:

They are also droping Hummer, Saturn, and Saab.

4. Jeremy

Jeremy REGULAR MEMBER

Dec 22, 2006
    if i were to buy a new vehicle again, it would be a ford, or a toyota. my next vehicle purchase though will probably be a truck, to which i will look at 95-96 model ram 2500 diesel, for the simple sake of price and longevity...not to mention ease of maintanance.

5. knockemdeadd

knockemdeadd Active Member

Feb 3, 2007
    Arnold(St Louis)
    [rquote=1282455&tid=89734&author=Rebel]:claphands:[/rquote]

im certainly not happy to hear the news:roll2:

6. Rebel2

Rebel2 Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2003
    Ozark, MO
    [rquote=1282496&tid=89734&author=knockemdeadd][rquote=1282455&tid=89734&author=Rebel]:claphands:[/rquote]

im certainly not happy to hear the news:roll2:[/rquote]

eh.. i dont really care to be honest.

just another company being "saved" by our big brother that we all hate..

7. knockemdeadd

knockemdeadd Active Member

Feb 3, 2007
    Arnold(St Louis)
    [rquote=1282676&tid=89734&author=Rebel][rquote=1282496&tid=89734&author=knockemdeadd][rquote=1282455&tid=89734&author=Rebel]:claphands:[/rquote]

im certainly not happy to hear the news:roll2:[/rquote]

eh.. i dont really care to be honest.

just another company being "saved" by our big brother that we all hate..

[/rquote]

they're cc users

8. Rebel2

Rebel2 Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2003
    Ozark, MO
    not with chase :shrug:

and them filing brupt doesnt have anything to do w/ the bank that has their cc..

the "gm" cc.. is x bank w/ gms logo and rewards program

9. FiremanBrad

FiremanBrad New Member

I love my chevy truck, but my next one might be a ford!:mad2:

10. yankee

yankee Senior Member

does anybody see the big picture here??? or am i off base, seems Gm Chrysler invested billions and billions into China and Mexico, but not 1 plant for either company is closing in china or mexico, GM and Chrysler are closing plants here in the states, so in short they are turning there back to the people who built them up, glad i have had nothing but Ford products for the last 20yrs, would hate to know my money helped em move to foreign countries, so here again i have to ask is the bail out money staying in the STATES, i would be willing to bet it aint

11. 67Firebird

67Firebird Chicken Man

I guess being #2 isn't much better than being #3. It just took them a little longer to fail. :rof2:

12. Rebel2

Rebel2 Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2003
    Ozark, MO
    [rquote=1282711&tid=89734&author=yankee]does anybody see the big picture here??? or am i off base, seems Gm Chrysler invested billions and billions into China and Mexico, but not 1 plant for either company is closing in china or mexico, GM and Chrysler are closing plants here in the states, so in short they are turning there back to the people who built them up, glad i have had nothing but Ford products for the last 20yrs, would hate to know my money helped em move to foreign countries, so here again i have to ask is the bail out money staying in the STATES, i would be willing to bet it aint[/rquote]

Since its a debate about "us products" now..

how many of the wires and tubes and etc are made in the us on a ford truck..

or does the headlights have a sticker that says..

"Made in China"

:stirpot::D

13. 67Firebird

67Firebird Chicken Man

Each model is different; there's no set amount across the board.

14. yankee

yankee Senior Member

there you said it, china and mexico oughta bail em out, because thats where your bailout money is going

15. Jeremy

Jeremy REGULAR MEMBER

Dec 22, 2006
    [rquote=1282711&tid=89734&author=yankee]does anybody see the big picture here??? or am i off base, seems Gm Chrysler invested billions and billions into China and Mexico, but not 1 plant for either company is closing in china or mexico, GM and Chrysler are closing plants here in the states, so in short they are turning there back to the people who built them up, glad i have had nothing but Ford products for the last 20yrs, would hate to know my money helped em move to foreign countries, so here again i have to ask is the bail out money staying in the STATES, i would be willing to bet it aint[/rquote]

since the introduction of computers in the cars, mainly the mid 70's and beyond, the car companies have gotten alot of components from overseas. they didnt fail then, whats so different now? i know what it is, but i'll leave that as it is, its been discussed before.
    but, then again...food for thought. when i was working at the chrysler/dodge dealer, you know which trucks we had the least amount of issues with....mexico and canada built. the ones we had the most issues with...Fenton plant built. when i was buying my 02 cummins, the dealers even told me to get one hecho en mexico, and stay away from the ones built at the fenton mo plant. thats alot to say about the quality of products coming from our plants, and heck...all they had to do was bolt the pieces together. my truck was built in mexico...no problems with it(besides the ip..common problem with ALL vp44 pumps regardless of assembly location), my 02 stratus...canada, just replaced the cam sensor last week, goin on 90k miles, my 08 van, built in stl....nothing but a constant string of problems with it. had to take it back to the dealer a week after we got it because none of the exhaust bolts were tight and it ws bouncing around under the van:roll2:

16. yankee

yankee Senior Member

[rquote=1282788&tid=89734&author=Jeremy][rquote=1282711&tid=89734&author=yankee]does anybody see the big picture here??? or am i off base, seems Gm Chrysler invested billions and billions into China and Mexico, but not 1 plant for either company is closing in china or mexico, GM and Chrysler are closing plants here in the states, so in short they are turning there back to the people who built them up, glad i have had nothing but Ford products for the last 20yrs, would hate to know my money helped em move to foreign countries, so here again i have to ask is the bail out money staying in the STATES, i would be willing to bet it aint[/rquote]

since the introduction of computers in the cars, mainly the mid 70's and beyond, the car companies have gotten alot of components from overseas. they didnt fail then, whats so different now? i know what it is, but i'll leave that as it is, its been discussed before.[/rquote] Ford is just as bad about some of there vehicles and farming out work, i did research on a ford taurus, other than drive train and drive train component'si tried finding 5 items made in the US of A, on the taurus, on todays taurus ya can't do it, it's all made overseas...it's farmed out, plain and simple, we picked up a ex chrysler manager, he's finally learned farm out is not the way to make money, and he has been fighting tooth and nail to keep our work in house. i shake his hand every time i see him

17. Jeremy

Jeremy REGULAR MEMBER

Dec 22, 2006
    [rquote=1282793&tid=89734&author=yankee][rquote=1282788&tid=89734&author=Jeremy][rquote=1282711&tid=89734&author=yankee]does anybody see the big picture here??? or am i off base, seems Gm Chrysler invested billions and billions into China and Mexico, but not 1 plant for either company is closing in china or mexico, GM and Chrysler are closing plants here in the states, so in short they are turning there back to the people who built them up, glad i have had nothing but Ford products for the last 20yrs, would hate to know my money helped em move to foreign countries, so here again i have to ask is the bail out money staying in the STATES, i would be willing to bet it aint[/rquote]

since the introduction of computers in the cars, mainly the mid 70's and beyond, the car companies have gotten alot of components from overseas. they didnt fail then, whats so different now? i know what it is, but i'll leave that as it is, its been discussed before.[/rquote] Ford is just as bad about some of there vehicles and farming out work, i did research on a ford taurus, other than drive train and drive train component'si tried finding 5 items made in the US of A, on the taurus, on todays taurus ya can't do it, it's all made overseas...it's farmed out, plain and simple, we picked up a ex chrysler manager, he's finally learned farm out is not the way to make money, and he has been fighting tooth and nail to keep our work in house. i shake his hand every time i see him[/rquote]

i guess i'll say it. what does china, mexico and canda have that the US doesnt...its actually a matter of what they dont have thats keeping these big corps overseas and across borders....inflated wages and overhead.

18. yankee

yankee Senior Member

[rquote=1282794&tid=89734&author=Jeremy][rquote=1282793&tid=89734&author=yankee][rquote=1282788&tid=89734&author=Jeremy][rquote=1282711&tid=89734&author=yankee]does anybody see the big picture here??? or am i off base, seems Gm Chrysler invested billions and billions into China and Mexico, but not 1 plant for either company is closing in china or mexico, GM and Chrysler are closing plants here in the states, so in short they are turning there back to the people who built them up, glad i have had nothing but Ford products for the last 20yrs, would hate to know my money helped em move to foreign countries, so here again i have to ask is the bail out money staying in the STATES, i would be willing to bet it aint[/rquote]

since the introduction of computers in the cars, mainly the mid 70's and beyond, the car companies have gotten alot of components from overseas. they didnt fail then, whats so different now? i know what it is, but i'll leave that as it is, its been discussed before.[/rquote] Ford is just as bad about some of there vehicles and farming out work, i did research on a ford taurus, other than drive train and drive train component'si tried finding 5 items made in the US of A, on the taurus, on todays taurus ya can't do it, it's all made overseas...it's farmed out, plain and simple, we picked up a ex chrysler manager, he's finally learned farm out is not the way to make money, and he has been fighting tooth and nail to keep our work in house. i shake his hand every time i see him[/rquote]

i guess i'll say it. what does china, mexico and canda have that the US doesnt...its actually a matter of what we dont have thats keeping these big corps overseas and across borders....inflated wages and overhead.[/rquote] jeremy, i have done yrs of work overseas and mexico, our wages may be inflated as you say, but i guarantee you you would not want the wages they pay in any mexico facility, so what your saying is me as a licensed union electrician, that my wages are inflated?? i feel i earn every dime i make, anytime you wanna come work with me and hump some 500 mcm copper (which i do almost daily) at mexico wages let me know, id be glad to pay you 3.00 a day plus no benefits, i know exactly what they make in our mexico facility, been there seen it, and the sad thing is, pay scale is controlled by the mexican govt, they dictate what our company can pay em, per day, sad sad sad, it's legalized slave labor, and i won't buy the product hecho en mexico....ever

19. TrackerCasey

TrackerCasey Active Member

Sep 20, 2006
    Mid-Michigan
    A lot of the money difference between Mexico and the US has nothing to do with Wages. I worked for a company that chrome plated auto parts for the big three. we had a waste treatment facility that employed 10 guys per shift 3 shifts a day. The sister plant in Mexico had a 10" PVC pipe going out the back of the plant on to the ground. The wages are just one small portion of "Why it's cheaper in Mexico"