Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just wanting thoughts on gear mainly clothes for guided 2nd season Elk hunt in unit 18 Colorado elk hunt! I don't want to look like a clown! The list they give us is pretty basic, should we plan to change daily? 5 day hunt, I don't want to pack to much or to little, horseback in staying in walled tents! I'm use to going back to cabin each day here showering etc , any thoughts appreciated

· PURE KILLER
38,014 Posts
Me ,I would take two sets of camo ,fresh socks every day and three changes of long underwear stuff you can layer and call it good for five days.

· Registered
7,519 Posts
I would take extra socks in your backpack to change out at lunch. I’m going the last week in 13. Hot to possibly very cold. A tote for each season, a lot of stuff... lol

15,025 Posts
take the coolmax, hiking type underwear, not your tidy ****** cottons one, cotton is the debil, they also work great whenever you are outisde during the summer, I never wear cotton anymore

It used to be the only places that had good hiking underwear was REI but now even Kohls carries some that will work good

"Choosing the right clothing for hiking can be the difference between life and death. You've probably heard the phrase "cotton kills." Cotton clothing is not the best choice for hiking or skiing because if it gets wet, it stays wet. While cotton underwear probably won't kill you, it might not be the best choice in undergarments for hiking. Whether you're just a day hiker or a thru-hiker on a three-month adventure on the Pacific Crest Trail, you'll want a pair of underwear that's both comfortable and breathable. "

QUICK ANSWER - THE BEST UNDERWEAR FOR HIKING
  • HELLY HANSEN HH BOXERS. VIEW AT AMAZON.
  • EXOFFICIO GIVE-N-GO MESH BOXERS. VIEW AT REI.
  • SMARTWOOL NTS 150 MICRO. VIEW AT REI.
  • ICEBREAKER ANATOMICA BOXERS. VIEW AT REI.
  • REI BOXER BRIEFS. VIEW AT REI.
  • UNDER ARMOUR COMPRESSION. ...
  • EXOFFICIO GIVE-N-GO SPORT BIKINI. ...
  • ARC'TERYX PHASE SL BRIEFS.

Reactions: combatmedic

· Registered
697 Posts
Packable rain gear
+100
Cabelas Space rain..stuff it your pack. Also good as a wind breaker when glassing or riding.
Most tend to pack too much, the list is basic due to weight limits and the horses. DO NOT TAKE A "OUTFIT" FOR EACH DAY.
Layers, Layers and Layers...activity and temps will allow you to adjust. Leave the bulky heavy deer stand jacket at home.
If your getting new boots get them now and break them in. New boots and mountain terrain are a guarantee for blisters... Merino smart wools socks.
Shower? Unless your guide has a shower set up it will be a towel or baby wipe scrubbing.

· Banned
11,379 Posts
take the coolmax, hiking type underwear, not your tidy ****** cottons one, cotton is the debil, they also work great whenever you are outisde during the summer, I never wear cotton anymore

It used to be the only places that had good hiking underwear was REI but now even Kohls carries some that will work good

"Choosing the right clothing for hiking can be the difference between life and death. You've probably heard the phrase "cotton kills." Cotton clothing is not the best choice for hiking or skiing because if it gets wet, it stays wet. While cotton underwear probably won't kill you, it might not be the best choice in undergarments for hiking. Whether you're just a day hiker or a thru-hiker on a three-month adventure on the Pacific Crest Trail, you'll want a pair of underwear that's both comfortable and breathable. "

QUICK ANSWER - THE BEST UNDERWEAR FOR HIKING
  • HELLY HANSEN HH BOXERS. VIEW AT AMAZON.
  • EXOFFICIO GIVE-N-GO MESH BOXERS. VIEW AT REI.
  • SMARTWOOL NTS 150 MICRO. VIEW AT REI.
  • ICEBREAKER ANATOMICA BOXERS. VIEW AT REI.
  • REI BOXER BRIEFS. VIEW AT REI.
  • UNDER ARMOUR COMPRESSION. ...
  • EXOFFICIO GIVE-N-GO SPORT BIKINI. ...
  • ARC'TERYX PHASE SL BRIEFS.
The nutsack pouch underwear are glorious. Saxx and Duluth make them.

· Banned
7,215 Posts
just wanting thoughts on gear mainly clothes for guided 2nd season Elk hunt in unit 18 Colorado elk hunt! I don't want to look like a clown! The list they give us is pretty basic, should we plan to change daily? 5 day hunt, I don't want to pack to much or to little, horseback in staying in walled tents! I'm use to going back to cabin each day here showering etc , any thoughts appreciated
What elevation will you be hunting? Second rifle season is going to be cold, like snowing, possible seeing single digit temps, but most likely teens. If you have a hot tent, you can dry out each night, which is a HUGE bonus. You aren't gonna be doing much true hiking, so chaff free boxers and high dollar boots aren't an absolutely necessity, but they help for sure. Get a pair of boot blankets and pack plenty of hand warmers. The packable rain gear is a great suggestion, and allows you to turn a soft shell into a hard shell for a very minimum of weight. Start reading up on mountain clothing systems now. This won't be like a cabin based deer hunt at all. Scent control isn't really an option. Get two pairs of heavy duty merino wool baselayers. This will run you about $400. Then get 6 pairs of DarnTough Hunters wool socks for another $120. Then you will need a mid layer top of some sort, either wool of poly fleece. A great pair of warm hunting pants is a must, either Kuiu, Sitka, or possible Cabelas Wooltimate. Then you will need a heavy coat/top. The Wooltimate it alright. Down is much much better. Down is the lightest and most compressible insulator on the planet. The Cabelas Space Rain gear will run you another $180, but is worth every penny. Use it as a wind/rain protection. I also take a pair of bibs and pack them to my stand location for all day sits. Don't try and skimp at this point. You've already spent a cpl grand on a drop camp, and almost $800 for a tag. Be certain that you have the gear to hunt strong and make it out of the tent every day. Second season has about a 15-20% success rate. That's because half the hunters never make it into elk country cause they can't leave the warm. Start working out now. Don't forget gloves, face mask, and orange fur lined bomber hat. Also, cut a piece of foam and buy a small backpack chair, sitting on frozen ground gets old, fast. Fully Guided or drop camp? Public?

· Banned
7,215 Posts
Also, take some hunter shower wipes. Think giant wet wipe. No shower for a week. It’s nice to wipe down after a few days when you change base layers. I like to take a mid day trip to a stream and wash my feet and change into fresh socks also. Get a haircut before you go if you don’t keep it high and tight, easier to deal with short, unwashed, greasy hair, than it is long, unwashed, greasy hair. Your packer will give you instructions on how to pack, but most have about 150lb weight limit per horse. Depending on the outfit, you may get your own pack horse, or might be splitting one with another hunter. Usually it’s a limit of 75lbs in about 16x20x14 inch space. Lots of soft sided packable bags.

· Registered
7,456 Posts
We pack unscented baby wipes for butt and body wipe down.
Yes get boots now and break them in.
If you don’t ride I would suggest get started me riding in somehow . Then you will know a little about . Figure out how to set your stirrup length . Your knees will thank you later.

· Registered
3,295 Posts
If treestand hunting you can get by with less gear but may need warmer clothes. If spot and stalk it’s easier to stay warm but will need more socks due to feet sweating and walking through wet grass. I like to change socks at least once a day. Good footwear is a must and make sure your boots are broke in. I recommend wearing thin boot liner socks under your regular socks to prevent blisters.

· Registered
697 Posts
Ninja...High dollar boots aren't a necessity but $400 in skivvies are? Hump one hill in heavy duty merino wool bases and let me know how soaked you are.

Eric...ask your guide how many miles you can expect to be hiking each day. He should hunt to accomodate your fitness level and adjust accordingly. This year second season opens the 19th, almost as early as second season gets. It can be 70 or 10, just a tough one to plan for unlike 3rd and 4th season which about guarantees cold.

I got ran off the tops on 10/23 years ago and 18 hrs later it ended with 2 feet of snow. They were "rescuing" stranded hunters that year.

· Registered
Fly rod!
4,236 Posts
You can get Black Ovis or similar merino wool base layers a lot cheaper... like 30 bucks per. Get a couple sets of mid to heavy wt merino base layers, a decent mid layer (polar fleece or the like) and a windproof outer barrier and raingear. Merino socks too. Merino is anti bacterial and doesn't stink after even a week... at least not on me.
Get the merino base layer with the hood. I like the hoods.
Good boots as said above.
To sum it up:
2-3 merino base layers.
Undies. Merino is hard to beat. A couple 2-3 pairs merino T shirt and drawers are invaluable.
A mid layer.
A good wind resistant outer layer... which if packing in, rain gear will do.
Rain gear.
Good merino or fleece beanie.
Good boots.
Good pack.
Binos! A tripod and mount for the binos.
Gloves, merino glove liners.
A sit pad for when sitting and spotting.
Rangefinder.

· Registered
2,062 Posts
I have a packable Primaloft vest that's about the size of a quart zip lock, and weighs a pound or less. I always keep it in my pack. If you get a little chilled or wet, it's worth the few ounces carrying it. i put it under my outer layer, usually.

· Banned
7,215 Posts
Ninja...High dollar boots aren't a necessity but $400 in skivvies are? Hump one hill in heavy duty merino wool bases and let me know how soaked you are.

Eric...ask your guide how many miles you can expect to be hiking each day. He should hunt to accomodate your fitness level and adjust accordingly. This year second season opens the 19th, almost as early as second season gets. It can be 70 or 10, just a tough one to plan for unlike 3rd and 4th season which about guarantees cold.

I got ran off the tops on 10/23 years ago and 18 hrs later it ended with 2 feet of snow. They were "rescuing" stranded hunters that year.
Yeah, high dollar boots are over-rated if you aren't backpack hunting. For the record, Danners and Irish Setters are not high quality boots, but will work just fine for what you are doing. Anything with Gore-Tex. I would much rather be warm all over than have boots capable of carrying 100+lb packs on a guided horseback hunt. You're feet won't stay warm, no matter what you wear, barring a two-part plastic mountaineering boot. That's where the boot blankets and hand warmers come into play. DarnTough socks have an unconditional LifeTime guarantee. They replaced a pair with burned out toes from drying over a fire. UNCONDITIONAL. I was probably on The Flattops the year they had to rescue hunters, and that's what I would be prepared for. I would bet more for 25 degree weather than 65 degree weather for 2nd rifle. Sure, you may have warm weather, that's when the beauty of a layering system comes in handy. I've humped those hills in synthetic and merino. You're gonna sweat either way. It's a matter of staying warm while wet, and merino wins, hands down. @manitou1 is spot on about the stink factor also. You may find a deal on lighter weight merino, but the 250 weight is gonna run ya $65 min in my experience. Now is the time to search for deals and close outs. +1 on the hooded versions. A synthetic insulated vest isn't a bad idea. Sometimes you can pick up a decent hooded down puffy at Goodwill, Salvation A, etc. Also a good place to look for midlayer fleece. If you've never been completely dressed in wool/poly layers with zero cotton on your body, you're in for a treat, and it will change all of your hunting experiences, not just elk hunting. A lot of guys are reluctant to spend $1000 on an "outfit", but there's an old saying that goes, "No such thing as bad weather, just improper gear!!" It will be a complete game changer, and make you hunt twice as hard being warm, dry, and cozy.

Reactions: manitou1
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.