Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thank you to everyone that replied, your help was greatly appreciated, I believe it was the flame sensor. I took it out and cleaned it. Now it works fine (keeping my fingers crossed anyways). You guys are the best.

Thanks again, (On a freezing cold night)
Chad

I have a Concorde 80 plus furnace. At the end of last winter it started messing up. The spark ingnitor would kick on ( i think that is what it is called) The long cylindrical thing that sets in front of one of the 3 gas tubes.

Anyways ignitor heats up and turns orange or glows. 3 tubes start pumping gas to the ignitor, the fan kicks on for about 7-10 seconds, then shuts off. It cycles 3 times like this and kicks off. A friend changes out the spark ignitor this fall and works for about a month and now it's doing it again.

I changed out the thermostat but this did not help either. Any help would be appreciated.

Sometimes, I manually kick the fan on and leave it on and it will work right and other times it will not.

Thanks in advance,
Chad

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
First I have no clue but I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night. However I had some similiar issues years back. Once the problem was the condensate drain was plugged with some slug due to improper fuel mixing. When I cleaned the drain it worked till it plugged again. At that time the installer did his thing and it worked after that fine. Another time when it was far below zero the discharge pipe would freeze up and stall it out. In a pinch you might check those 2 things!

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Originally posted by Snowman
First I have no clue but I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night. However I had some similiar issues years back. Once the problem was the condensate drain was plugged with some slug due to improper fuel mixing. When I cleaned the drain it worked till it plugged again. At that time the installer did his thing and it worked after that fine. Another time when it was far below zero the discharge pipe would freeze up and stall it out. In a pinch you might check those 2 things!
I know the drain you are talking about, but I am confused about the "improper fuel mixing" and what was the "thing" the installer did? If you remember.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No the ignitor starts glowing, about 8 seconds later the 3 burners start blowing, then 5 seconds later the fan kicks on, goes for about 5-10 seconds, and kicks off. Repeats this 3 seperate times and shuts off all together.

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
Originally posted by TeamBDM
Originally posted by Snowman
I know the drain you are talking about, but I am confused about the "improper fuel mixing" and what was the "thing" the installer did? If you remember.
If I remember right he had to change some injecter port sizes. But its all Greek to me when it comes to HAC The drain was clogged with black gunk!!

·
Registered
23,530 Posts
After the 3 cycles, the control board is locking the furnace out cause it's sensing a problem. My first 2 guesses would be either the flame sensor isn't working right, or the air pressure switch is opening up. On most furnaces there is a small LED light on the control board, and you can usually view it through a small clear plastic hole on the bottom door. If you can count the sequence of flashes after the furnace locks out, there should be a chart on the inside of that door to tell you what caused the lockout. Not sure it will do you any good to know, but it might help diagnose the problem.

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
Here is another posibility. Check your manual. Is there a problem code where you can look in a little window and see some LED. It may blink a number of times and give you a code to check on the problem.

·
Registered
69,560 Posts
Does it actually put out some heat for a bit and then shut off? And then do it all over again a couple of times? If so...change your filter. My new furnace I had installed a couple years ago did that. After calling the furnace guy and he told me to change the filter every month or two I felt like a moron. He said these newer furnaces burn cleaner and more ecconomical than the older ones and are more sensitive and has a shut off system installed when they can't get the right mixture of gas and air to burn correctly. If you have pets it will affect it even more. I went and bought me a case of filters and change it every couple of months.

And I drove by a Holiday Inn this morning.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I checked the LED light for the error code and wouldn't you know it, it blinks to many times which means they don't have a code for that one. Go figure

·
Registered
23,530 Posts
The air pressure switch is a small round part, it should have 2 wires and a small rubber hose attached to it. Pull that hose loose and make sure there is no water in it, sometimes water gets trapped in there and it can cause that problem. Also as said above, check or change the filter. You might also take a piece of sandpaper or an emery board and clean the flame sensor, usually a small metal rod that sits directly in front of one of the burners. Other than that, I really can't tell you without knowing the code or looking at it, and that ain't an option. Good luck with it.

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
Did you check the condensate trap? Turn off the furnace, take apart the drain and check it. Maybe blow in it both ways, into the furnace and down, see if its open?

How about you gas tank? is there fuel?

·
Lunch break commander
8,344 Posts
If the burners are lighting it is not the igniter. If the light for a few seconds and then kick off it would lead me to beleive that it is the flame sensor.

this is usually located at the oppisite end as the igniter.

I have seen in some cases that it gets dirty and can be cleaned with a piece of sand paper.

I have also seen them not work right because the furnace is not grounded properly. check to see if the istaller connected the groud when wiring the main intrance to the furnace. I have seen this happen even when it has worked fine for a while.

good luck

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Originally posted by Modeerhunter
The air pressure switch is a small round part, it should have 2 wires and a small rubber hose attached to it. Pull that hose loose and make sure there is no water in it, sometimes water gets trapped in there and it can cause that problem. Also as said above, check or change the filter. You might also take a piece of sandpaper or an emery board and clean the flame sensor, usually a small metal rod that sits directly in front of one of the burners. Other than that, I really can't tell you without knowing the code or looking at it, and that ain't an option. Good luck with it.
Where would the hose be at? Just more specific area

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Originally posted by Pastor
If the burners are lighting it is not the igniter. If the light for a few seconds and then kick off it would lead me to beleive that it is the flame sensor.

I have seen in some cases that it gets dirty and can be cleaned with a piece of sand paper.

I have also seen them not work right because the furnace is not grounded properly. check to see if the istaller connected the groud when wiring the main intrance to the furnace. I have seen this happen even when it has worked fine for a while.

good luck
I am not the most electrically inlined guy in the world. Where would the ground be and and possibly what color of wire?

Thanks

·
Lunch break commander
8,344 Posts
If I had a gas furnace I would take a picture for you.

The presure switch is round and usually sits right in the front somewhere close to the inducer motor(flue fan) and has a hose that is atached to the inducer assembly somewhere.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
I would say flame sensor but it should have a code for that. The air flow switch could also be the problem, but it should have a code also. The air flow switch is located on the exhaust vent, should be right where it exits the furnace. Look for two wires and a plasic tube. You can pull the tube off the barb fitting and blow through it, you should hear it click, which means it's working. I don't think it would even fire if this switch didn't make. Also does yuor furnace have a Ignition controller? This would be a small box kind of like a board, should say something like honey well ignition control. If no box then the main circuit board controls all the switch and sequence. If it's the condensate drain switch unhook the drain line and drain it in a bucket or something and see if it stays running. If you still need help u2u me your number.

·
Lunch break commander
8,344 Posts
Originally posted by TeamBDM
Originally posted by Pastor

good luck
I am not the most electrically inlined guy in the world. Where would the ground be and and possibly what color of wire?

Thanks
should be a bare wire.

there should be a wire entering the side of the furnace through a romex conector(just protects the wire from being cut by the side of the sheet metal) on the inside of the furnace it should enter a silver box that can be removed.

remove that box and there should be a white, black, and a bare wire. the ground is the bare wire. some guys dont bother with it and it can cause this problem.

·
Registered
4,624 Posts
Mine did the exact same thing last year.My buddy is the local furnace guy.There is a sensor on the control pannel,kinda like a little stick that goes in a hole held in by a screw.He took it out and cleaned it and all works good.Wish i could be more help but it was an easy fix.Mine would light and burn but when the fan kicked on the fire would go out.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts