Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
42,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, other then calling a nice one in for my pops, i've been striking out.

Part of the reason is my new job and not being able to actually get out and hunt much.. When I have been able to get out, its only been for an hour or so.

Opening day, I screwed up and left the area too early.. came back to see em strutting.

The second day, worked perfectly and called a nice one in for my pops.

Didnt get to hunt any the rest of the week, got to the campout and nasty rain.. did call a lil jake in on saturday, but eh he needed to grow.

Had to be at work early monday of this week. So went on tuesday and well, i dont like to admit it, but i screwed up. After getting to a nice listening spot i heard one gobble and gobble and gobble.. i didnt get there soon enough and he got on the ground strutting in the open.. put the sneak on, and well it actually worked.. Snuck up to within in what i thought was 100 yards and was jus getting ready to pop a squat and 2 deer busted me, snortin away they went, so i figured im busted... the turkey stopped gobbling, so i hung out and made a few calls, nuttin.. figured he was gone so got up and was going to make a big circle and try to get back up on him seein as how he was a big ole lone gobbler, the perfect ones.. Newho, as i snuck through the sage brush i popped over the top of the hill and PUTT.. PUTT... PUTT.. i froze and looked and there he was not 70 yards away, i was busted he was gone.. :mad2::mad2::mad2::mad2: (i replaced the mad guy with a few explitives) oh well.. was almost going to be late for work neways..

Then didnt hunt wednesday, and came thursday, more freaking rain! FYI, the birds down here are affraid of rain! But i figured what the hey i dont have much time lets give it a whirl and went to some public land, nuttin.. no gobbles, notta zilch.. and of course as i was leaving, in the power cut would be 2 nice big fat plump gobblers!

So then this morning.. Went out and nuttin was gobblin, got to be 7 am and finally a gobble 12 miles away.. hopped in the jeep and crossed a ridge or two to cut the 2 miles down and spotted him, with a danged hen.. gave that one up.

Nothing else was gobbling, blahh.. was headin home about 10 and saw one run into the woods, so i drove on up and told my dad to jus go around behind the jeep and lemme see if i can work "it" as i wasnt sure hen or tom.. got over in the woods and started goin to town, in about 15 seconds here comes this huge HEN clucking and running scared.. she came within 5 foot of me, i could practically hear her breathing.. she kept looking and looking.. and well, just to get a laugh i putted as loud as i could that danged hen jumped straight up in the air atleast 2 foot, cackled and flew off, it was soooooo funny..

Man i love turkey hunting! The birds down here are almost all hended up, been tough.. but no worries, reb WILL score a couple of em soon!

:cheers:

·
5,632 Posts
Keep at 'em Reb.:sniper:

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Rebel,

You should get a couble of my "Lesbian" decoys. Both Toms that I shot were hended up. The hens came in to check out my Lesbians and the Toms came a following. :rotfl:

GET R DONE! Good Luck! eh...

·
Registered
14,508 Posts
Keep at it Rebel...I FINALLY get to head out in the morning. I'm gonna set up my blind south of the campout area in that small bottom today. Hopefully tomorrow I can sneak in there under the cover of darkness. I'll report back with after 1:00 p.m. tomorrow.

·
Registered
8,772 Posts
Rebel, the same kinda season for me. Will try again Monday or Tuesday. No matter what I like being out there for the sunrise. Hopefully these henned up Toms will break loose next week. Still lots of time left and if I get one I get one and if not I will live.;) I do know where there are a couple I could shot outta the tree though.:roll2:

Jack

·
Registered
17,011 Posts
i know the feeling rebel, havn't been out since opening morning here. havn't been able to get away from work until this morning. from what the guys around here are saying it is pretty much over with anyway. went out and nothing was gobbling and it started raining. since i am anything but hard core with turkeys i went back to the truck and sat the rain out. got back out and started calling. finally had two hens with a gobbler in the field at about 50 yards. thought the deal would close but all three heads popped up as a coyote came busting out of the brush and hauling :***: to them. never seen one do that before, they usually try to be somewhat sneaky but not this guy. went driving around trying to cut another gobbler and only seen hens. never could get a bird to gobble and never seen one with the hens and i did see a lot of hens. maybe they are right and it is all but finished. won't be able to go again until sunday morning. good luck to you, keep at it.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Surely not!

I'm taking my son out in the morning so surely a gobbler will come out way. I'm not giving up on 'em yet. Besides, we can always go fishing if they aren't gobblin'.

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
Originally posted by wingmaninmo
thought the deal would close but all three heads popped up as a coyote came busting out of the brush and hauling :***: to them. never seen one do that before, they usually try to be somewhat sneaky but not this guy.
Knowing how much you hate them yotes ;) I'm surprised you didn't kill it Mike????

·
Registered
17,011 Posts
Originally posted by swmo
Originally posted by wingmaninmo
thought the deal would close but all three heads popped up as a coyote came busting out of the brush and hauling :***: to them. never seen one do that before, they usually try to be somewhat sneaky but not this guy.
Knowing how much you hate them yotes ;) I'm surprised you didn't kill it Mike????
:peepwall:

·
Registered
42,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Whelp went out a couple hours this morning before i had to go to work.. called in another dad gum hen to with in 10 foot of my dad...

Saw a few heads bobbin through the grass as they went around the side of the hill and they gobbled along.

Decided i would circle around and try to get in front of em. Got around to the side and was a bunch of cows, so i figured they wouldnt have gone this way and looked back over to the other side, up about 50 yards from where i parked and a big tom was struttin along.. It saw me and ran back into the woods, so said no prob ill get down below him and see... Got down to the fence / gate where I parked as I was opening the fence, turkeys started flyin out from everwhere.. not 15 yards from where I was parked :banghead: in total there was 12 of em..

Soze i let em be until the next time...

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
but eh he needed to grow. Whats with?:horse:

At least you've had some action eh! I'll get another crack at em this week too. I'll bet ya a cold Point beer that mines bigger!:cheers:

·
Registered
8,772 Posts
I think that bet needs ta be at least TWO cold Point beers.

Jack

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
Originally posted by JackJr
I think that bet needs ta be at least TWO cold Point beers.

Jack
Well I'm back "UP NORTH":banghead: and turkeyless!:confused: Had a good productive safe trip but no "TOM"!!!:frown:

SOOOO!!!! If it cost me TTTTWWWOOO!! POOOIIINNTT! BEEEERRSS! so be it.

And I am not kidding, IT IS SNOWING HERE NOW!! AND IT SUCKS!!!!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.