Frost seeding

Discussion in 'Deer Management, Habitat & Conservation' started by ILoveDeer, Jan 6, 2018.

1. ILoveDeer

ILoveDeer Member

Dec 10, 2017
    I am going to frost seed in February. What I wanted to know is should I disc before hand or just top dress it the way it is. The plot has winter wheat in it now, which has been eaten down quite a lot.
    Mark

2. henry

henry Fan Boy aka Mr Twisty and

Sew and grow should work fine.

DCSarchette likes this.

3. venatic

venatic ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I did this last year on some new logging roads and it came in pretty good in open areas.

4. henry

henry Fan Boy aka Mr Twisty and

About all that little seed needs is access to the soil.

EZRA and DCSarchette like this.
  5. Sully

Sully Bait Plotter Extraordinar

Aug 28, 2007
    Truman lake , MO
  6. ILoveDeer

ILoveDeer Member

Dec 10, 2017
    Sorry I forgot to mention I will be sowing clover and that the wheat was planted last October.
    Mark

7. WBF

WBF Wolf Brook Farms

Oct 25, 2013
    What Clover variety are you planning on seeding?

8. Vikestand

Vikestand Over There

Kinda open ended question without knowing what is there. Personally I would try to burn off or mow down whatever you are planning to broadcast in to. Anything that will increas the chance of a seed making contact with the soil.

BustinBucks likes this.
  9. Woods

Woods Cooyon, Back from NOLA

Oct 16, 2003
    Lonedell Missouri
    The more you can get the seed in the grown and contact with the soil, the better germination rate.

10. Wings Fan 19

Wings Fan 19 Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2008
    Kansas City, MO.
    If you can't mow or prep a seed bed, seed a bit heavier and the frost cycle will suck the seed in. You will have more weed/grass competition but with clover, that's not that tough to deal with between mowing and selective herbicide spraying.