Frost seeding finally finished

Discussion in 'Deer Management, Habitat & Conservation' started by jakewill83, Mar 3, 2018.

1. jakewill83

jakewill83 Member

Oct 22, 2013
    This past years drought in Jefferson County completely scorched all of my thriving clover, alfalfa, chicory plots so this year I get to start with a clean slate. These plots are all tucked away in timber so several hours for each plot cleaning out leaves/debris with a leaf blower and push mower with a bagger.

I previously had all of my clover in a combination of Imperial Whitetail and Biologic non typical white clover, this year I seeded everything in a combination of Durana and Biologic Non typical clover. There is quite a bit of cow pasture and hay fields on this farm that we overseed with cheap red clover every spring that’s why I only plant white/ladino in my plots. Soil tests in all these plots I pulled in the fall all read a PH between 6.0 and 6.3 so lime was not necessary, all other nutrients were in a fair to good range so I decided to wait till germination to top dress with a 0-20-20 fertilizer for a good boost. I broadcasted a little on the heavy side as always in these woods plots at about 7-8 pounds per acre.
    Hopefully with lows in the mid twenties to low thirties the next week with a little rain mixed in the seed will get imbedded well. Here are a couple pictures of some of the plots from last spring before the drought.
    8C4F6259-59D3-4ACD-9C28-553CD2EAD5E9.png 2D753302-C8C3-48CC-B0B8-5617C9185C6F.png 4B6D6AB6-E84A-46A9-9DFC-E9625E026E72.png
    I’m a big fan of the non typical clover even if it is a name brand buck on the bag product, it created the most forage of any clover that I’ve ever planted and the deer loved it. I would however recommend mixing it in with another variety because the leaves on it are so big that I don’t believe the turkeys would prefer it alone.
    I will try to keep this updated to track the growing progress.
  2. henry

henry Fan Boy aka Mr Twisty and

Clovers hard to beat for small plots. I hope weather cooperates and you get good results.
    jakewill83 likes this.

3. reitzs

reitzs Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2008
    Nice work.

We spent a few hours Saturday morning clearing leaves and logging debris from the new half-acre plot. Threw down about 250lbs of Ag lime and a couple pounds of ladino.

I'm curious to see how it takes.
  4. fishshooter

fishshooter Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Planted a lot of Durana this year and a new one to me Kopu.

Seeded some of it in the actual cattle pasture as they are on a rotational grazing system, so they won't be in there all the time. Hope to help the deer and the cattle.
    WBF and jakewill83 like this.
  5. Deeraholic

Deeraholic Great White Buffalo @*%!

Good stuff...we seeded one of our clover plots this weekend also.
    jakewill83 likes this.
  6. beanpile

beanpile just a no body

I do an Aslike/Laino mix and his has been a constant draw all year long..wonder to myself why I took so long to go with's Bee friendly as well
    jakewill83 likes this.
  7. jakewill83

jakewill83 Member

Oct 22, 2013
    Clover has definitely become the foundation of what I do for sure and the ladino/aslike pair is a hard one to beat. Having several hives here myself I completely agree with the pollinator benefits. A couple years ago I started planting some small strips along the driveway with crimson clover combined with some wildflowers and not only are they easy on the eyes they are completely full of bees and turkeys all summer long.
  8. jakewill83

jakewill83 Member

Oct 22, 2013
    I am by far no expert at this but have learned a ton from this site. One question I do have is I already have some of these annoying cool season broad-leafs wanting to grow before the clover gets a chance to start, would you spray these with anything to knock them back or just let them run their course? If you would treat them what would you use?
  9. CuivreDog2

CuivreDog2 Addicted Habitat Junkie

Mar 27, 2010
    Lincoln County, MO
    Looks like mouse eared chickweed to me based on the pic.

Not a huge concern as far as your clover plot goes since the entire lifespan from germination to maturity and death is about 5 to 6 weeks so it won't be around long, however, it will produce seed after setting small white flowers so it will be back next Spring.

Personally I don't worry about it in my plots as the clover will overtake it as soon as it completes it's life cycle.
    beanpile, pinwheel and Wings Fan 19 like this.
  10. horntagger

horntagger Active Member

Jun 30, 2003
    Southeast Missouri
    I like Durana, and Jumbo Ladino clover which I have planted in the past, I think it called Jumbo II Ladino now. But like to add Crimson Clover come August.