Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What type of clovers are best for frost seeding and is it just as simple and walking around and throwing down clover seed while the ground is frozen? There's a few fields on one of the farms that has a little clover in it and the deer are always in it so I'd like to thicken up the stand of clover to help draw them in even more if possible.

One of the fields is about the size of a football field and it's just grass the landowner cuts for hay. This is an area I've been dying to throw some clover in to get the deer to utilize it better without actually tearing it up totally and planting a food plot.

All the grass is short right now due to him cutting it for hay this fall. Would I need to do anything else to it for helping the clover get started or will it just work it down into the ground on its owns?

·
Registered
6,274 Posts
You can frost seed Ladino or Red clover either one, frost seeding is just broadcasting seed and letting the freeze/thaw cycles of the soil to accomplish seed/soil contact. Broadcasting into fescue hay is a pretty standard practice and is fairly successful on a short term basis, but needs reseeded every few years.

·
Jenny's Lackey
46,682 Posts
Only other thing you might want to do is feed the existing clover & the new clover with some p & k. couple hundred #'s per acre & you'll have clover growing like mad.

·
Biology nit wit exposer
81,137 Posts
I would use new crop raw red clover seed for frost seeding into a grass stand. You may be able to find some local seed fairly affordable. The taller red clover seems to compete alittle better in this application,,and since it will be an on going seeding the reduced cost will save you a bunch of money over the years.

:cheers::cheers:

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Originally posted by pinwheel
Only other thing you might want to do is feed the existing clover & the new clover with some p & k. couple hundred #'s per acre & you'll have clover growing like mad.
what is p & k?:confused:

·
Registered
18,518 Posts
Originally posted by tinman
Originally posted by pinwheel
what is p & k?:confused:
phosphorus and potassium

You don't put N=nitrogen on clover since it produces it's own and that only helps grasses out compete the clover with added nitrogen.

·
Registered
17,089 Posts
I'd go with Red as well. Maybe the guy that hays it will help pay for the seed since it will be benefitting him as well. Its worth asking about at least.

·
Registered
7,515 Posts
I use a shotgun type of mix with reds, medium and large and whites dutch and ladino blends, worked great last year. I made sure it was well the end of January though, I want some heaving of the soil to have already occured. Also as Pinwheel has stated get the ph and P and K down on it in the spring or fall...

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have nowhere near the experience these other guys have but my first ever food plot was frost seeded clover. It was done with a riding lawn mower, an old small section of harrow and and old drop spreader. First I started in the center and mowed as low as I could scalping at times and throwing the clippings toward the outside of the plot. Then I scratched the hell out of it with the harrow, cranked out the seed, spread the pellet lime and 6-24-24 fertilizer. It is a linear plot along a wooded ditch about 30ft wide and 400 or so ft long. I used three types of clover, and kept them seperated. Two were well known food plot brands and the third was just plain old white clover from the MFA.
The thing could not have turned out better....and 4 years later is still being mauled by the deer. And as you may have guessed the deer show no preference between the clover types. Although I will say that the biologic stuff seems to be the most vigorous of the three.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts