Frost seeding clover question

Discussion in 'Deer Management, Habitat & Conservation' started by riverbottomhunter, Jan 27, 2018.

1. riverbottomhunter

riverbottomhunter Well-Known Member

Sep 27, 2005
    Chariton Co.
    Will the lack of moisture in the ground this year have much effect on frost seeding clover? I am planning on picking up some seed next week and am thinking of doing some seeding in about 2 weeks. I have a couple new plots I am wanting to seed and am going to dress up 2 old ones. I was hoping to broadcast before a snow but don't know if we will get one.

2. farmnhunt

farmnhunt Well-Known Member

Jun 6, 2006
    Lebanon
    Sooner the better now. There is enough moisture for the ground to heave during freezing so the seed will make contact.

3. pinwheel

pinwheel Jenny's Lackey

Jun 17, 2006
    middle of nowhere
    Don't sweat the small stuff man. If ya got time, broadcast the seed, it'll germinate in the spring.

beanpile likes this.
  4. beanpile

beanpile just a no body

thats the way I'm looking at it..got some seed coming and plan on doing it Feb 14/15/16

5. reitzs

reitzs Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2008
    Columbia
    I just did some about a few hours ago. It was left over from last fall so I figured what the heck. Will probably overseed when I go back in a few weeks to spread the rest. Will see how it works. The ground definitely has moisture in it right now.

On a related note, does anyone that frost seeds narrow plots (think a 5-10 yard wide trail) blow away the leaves before seeding. I’m sure it would not hurt but adds a lot of time.

6. WBF

WBF Wolf Brook Farms

Oct 25, 2013

Regardless of seed type, I've had the best results when the seed makes contact to the ground/dirt/seed bed etc. When frost seeding the seed is pulled into the soil through the freezing and thawing process. If the majority of the seed remains on the top of a leaf/leaves it won't make the contact with the soil that is needed for the seed to be pulled into the soil.

I don't know how big a plot your frost seeding but a leaf blower and a tarp works well. I've had really good luck with fire then seeding.