Freelancing

Discussion in 'Member Hunting Journals' started by trailblazer75, Mar 6, 2017.

1. trailblazer75

trailblazer75 Active Member

Jan 14, 2017
    I'm interested in doing a little writing on the subject of adult onset hunting, following the journey of a person who wasn't raised to hunt. Where would you go to break in? Who would you talk to? I've got a great job and I'm not worried about the financial aspect, I just know I didn't have many resources when I originally started back when I was 18 and trying to learn on my own.

2. Keef

Keef Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Clark Co, MO
    I'm not sure exactly what you want.

Where would you go to break in? Do you mean what magazines? If so every magazine has an address in the front pages for story submission.

Who would you talk to? Do you mean people that have developed into hunters late in life? If so, you'll have to rely on people you know. If you want to talk to a publisher go to the pages I mentioned earlier.

As a long-time free lancer I can tell you the market for articles is tight. Many magazines have paid writers on staff and they rely on them to write stories, consequently, there aren't many open spots for free lancers. Also, the internet is really hurting paper publishing. Maybe you've noticed the mags have fewer and fewer pages than in the past.

Not trying to discourage you, just wanting to give you my viewpoint. You won't know if you don't try, so have it and send it to several magazines. Who knows you may have great acceptance. Good luck to you.

3. trailblazer75

trailblazer75 Active Member

Jan 14, 2017
    Thank you for the wisdom, sir! I'd rather be shot straight than have smoke blown. I have considered a blog or something along those lines, but I'm gonna try just what you suggested first!

Also, I'm really looking forward to viewing that bear hunt of yours! Mailman is sending it out to me.