Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 75 Posts

· Registered
6,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With all the talk of the MO public service commission's 5-0 vote granting the certificuit of convenience necessity to Grain Belt Express, I decided I'd just take a look at its path through Missouri. I'd heard some hoopla about it over the past few years but never really researched it.
Well all B if it doesn't cut through about 2600 feet of MY FARM.... Called the county comissioner who is a good friend of mine and he broke it all down to me. Long story short, former governor Nixon appointed the jokers on this commission and now Nixon is the lead attorney/lobbyist for GBS... man what a deal. Kinda pisses me off that wasnt disclosed to me by the real estate agent when I bought the place.
Great.... 200' wide x 200' tall eastment right through my big foodplot...

15,023 Posts
They ran one right thru a friend of mines property in Kansas about 10 years ago, They really tore everything up putting it in, but now, the only thing is they keep a 40 foot wide open space where it crosses the creek, basicaly the width of the power lines where ever there are trees, like hedge rows and creeks. Good spot for a tower blind

· just a no body
16,272 Posts
not much compensation either since they'll probably use your purchase price and sales nearby which I think I know the range as Fair Market Value. I guess if you could find income from leasers to increase the value of the land to show that you have improved it and argue that your "Business" will be devastated by such structures.

Dam Joe that really sucks!

· Land buying addiction
13,978 Posts
Ya but it will never be enough. Its far from a done deal, will be a dog fight til the end.
Best I could figure based on their website anywhere from $33-78k
I think I could deal with the lines if it will almost pay off what I owe on my farm. It's far from ideal but No payments on this one I could invest in another piece sure is appealing. I think we have 1 large and 2 small poles going in and a little over 1/4 mile of timber they will go through.

· Registered
70,871 Posts
I think I could deal with the lines if it will almost pay off what I owe on my farm. It's far from ideal but No payments on this one I could invest in another piece sure is appealing. I think we have 1 large and 2 small poles going in and a little over 1/4 mile of timber they will go through.
You're lucky you get paid for it. My pipeline that is pumping crude oil 24-7...I get zilch. Of course I knew it was there when I bought the place. They come through every 5 years or so and spray for anything resembling a tree.

· Registered
1,482 Posts
I've had dealings with 3 different easements. Most are reasonable to deal with. Some are not. I have had some problems with subcontractors hired to do right of way maintenance. They fell 3 trees on fences and left. The electric company made it good , reimbursed cost of repairs and then spread some chat on the farm road. Usually the company itself has so much invested they try to keep owners happy to prevent vandalism.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.