Found a Nebo Hill, and Made A Huge Sedalia

Discussion in 'Artifacts, Knappings & Other Treasures' started by paleohunter, May 25, 2009.

1. paleohunter

paleohunter New Member

Dec 7, 2003
    Missouri
    My G/F and I did some hunting this weekend.. She found a beautiful little Red un-notched point, a nice bifaced scraper, and two sweet thumb scrapers one with a perforator built into the other end. All field finds, top right area
    I found some broken drill tips and huge base that was high colored in the field a nice bifaced tool a piece or red ochre that was polished.. We then went to a creek did a lot of walking and trips through the stinging nettle before I finally found the saaaweet knife blade.. I think its a "Nebo Hill" point it looks broken, but it was actually made the way it looks, the base just didn't need finished any more than that, and you can tell it was left with no fracture on the base...
    Anywaays it was a very rewarding find for the day..I also found Fred Flintsones mini Bowling ball
    [​IMG]
    I also been doing some knapping, thought I would share this Huge Sedalia Blade I made for a customer.. Its 8.25 inches long 1.9" wide and .25" thick made from some very Colorful Missouri Burlington with Dendrites and fossils..
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. hillbilly

hillbilly Senior Member

Dec 27, 2006
    Fulton Mo

3. nastyjack63

nastyjack63 Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2006
    osage county
    Wow. Nice finds!! :cheers: Pretty neat that you do your own knapping.:claphands:

4. archer66

archer66 5 shots 1 kill

Jun 21, 2008
    Great looking stuff.....did ya find Fred's bowling pins or do you think Barney took em??

5. paleohunter

paleohunter New Member

Dec 7, 2003
    Missouri
    It would be nice to find a set of those ivory bowling pins.. for a size reference the game ball is 1-3/4" and the point I found is right at 4". Its made from some local chert called Paola..

6. Outdoorsman

Outdoorsman New Member

Jul 30, 2003
    PB, MO
    Great looking finds Tony... Some cool stuff there! :woot:

7. Mastevt

Mastevt Strutt Buster

Apr 16, 2009
    Grain Valley
    That is one sweet looking piece you made! How long did it take for you to make it?

8. Outdoorsman

Outdoorsman New Member

Jul 30, 2003
    PB, MO
    It's kinda hard to tell Sedalias' and Nebo Hills apart aint it? I know I got one that looks similar to the one you found in a Creek. Sorta a yellow chert w/ black buildup (field find) It has a break where your does... minor. I know mine has good serpentine down both sides and a sharp tip. It was probably resharpened by another culture.

9. paleohunter

paleohunter New Member

Dec 7, 2003
    Missouri
    Mastevt.. I prolly got about 3 hours in that one. When a point gets over the 6 inch range shock snaps become very possible, so you have to slow down and isolate the platforms for removing each flake..

Rodger.. Sedalia's are made from heat treated material. Nebo Hills are made from raw material. Nebo's are believed to have evolved in to Sedalia's after couple of thousand years development.

10. Outdoorsman

Outdoorsman New Member

Jul 30, 2003
    PB, MO
    Cool info... I must have a Nebo Hill too only one! I have been finding alot of Knives lately though.

Kinda like St Charles Points and Dovetails are basically the same.

11. SHEDHEAD

SHEDHEAD New Member

Feb 15, 2008
    Great finds Tony!

AND WHAT A BEAUTIFUL PIECE YOU MADE!!!WOW!

12. FiremanBrad

FiremanBrad New Member

Nice work, T!!! I found a few pieces the last couple of weeks, I need to post pics tonite!!!:cheers:

13. mohunter32

mohunter32 Senior Member Lifetime Supporting Member

Jan 15, 2005
    Franklin Co, MO
    Nice finds and that one you made is really cool. Nice job!

14. Big L

Big L Trapper Groupie

Aug 8, 2008
    Bonne Terre