Fort Leonard Wood

Discussion in 'Whitetails General' started by 808Hunter, Oct 20, 2017.

1. 808Hunter

808Hunter Member

Oct 20, 2017
    North Shore, Hawaii
    2 for 1 Special.JPG Hello everyone,
    My name is Keoni Smith I'm an Active Duty Army / Bow hunter from Hawaii. I'm currently pulling the grave yard shift on Recruiting duty out in Southern California. I'm heading out to Fort Leonard Wood to hunt and visit a buddy that is a drill Instructor out there. Any how I'm looking for anybody that hunts out there that would be willing to give some pointers. I'm not looking for honey holes or anything just trying to maximize 9 days of hunting with as much info as possible. I'd greatly appreciate any pointers or info

Last edited: Oct 20, 2017
  2. Muleskinner

Muleskinner Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2006
    Osage County
    Been years since I have hunted there . Since 911 to be exact . The bluffs along the Roubidoiux used to be good and lots of turkeys.
    Thank you for your service and good luck hunting.

808Hunter likes this.

3. manitou1

manitou1 Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2012
    Truman Lake
    When I was stationed there it held a lot of really big deer. I killed a few good ones there. Lots of turkey.
    I'm sure it has changed since then, but no doubt it still has good deer. Most any of the hunt areas were good. You just have to see what you like once you get in there. 100 sq miles of wilderness has a lot to offer! I always liked area 9 across from range 1 and area 10 back side, but there are many good areas. Gotta find a pinch point, which will be your challenge since there is so much timber. I used to see booners every year in there... but I lived in the woods back then, spending every free minute out there. Loved the place for it's hunting and fishing. Don't overlook pinch points of timber where they cross the roads either... saw a lot of great bucks early and late crossing where two corridors of timber met at either side of a road. They do have more of a tendency to stick to timbered cover there than most places I have hunted. I pushed basic trainees back then and it is amazing how the deer have human activity pegged. When we would finish firing at a ranges, the deer would pile out of the short timber behind the firing burms within 15 minutes after shooting. They would bed up all day directly underneath all the firing where it chopped the trees off, knowing they were safe. Literally dozens of deer would come out at a time. Amazing. Find a good spot and dissect it. If you can find a corridor where two types of cover meet, the bucks seemed to like to travel those borders. Good luck.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2017
    808Hunter and Rojo like this.
  4. farmnhunt

farmnhunt Well-Known Member

Jun 6, 2006
    Lebanon
    Some areas along the Roubioux have a feral hog problem. That usually isn't beneficial to deer hunting. USDA is trapping the area to reduce the problem. There are always some nice deer taken off of FLW every year. My Father lived on what is now FLW until he was 13, near what will show on area maps as the town of Bloodland. I haven't hunted the area in 35 years, so no advise from me, but best wishes. Thank you for your service!

Bluff Farmer and 808Hunter like this.
  5. plumbob

plumbob Member

Nov 7, 2005
    Dixon, MO
    Most areas are good, like some others have said, look for terrain changes. I have hunted the Fort for a few years

808Hunter likes this.
  6. LeGrande

LeGrande Member

Jun 26, 2016
    St Robert
    A little map recon and checking out the Isportsman website will help. I like the benches with multiple fingers. Isportsman will show you how much pressure each of the hunting areas are receiving. Last weekend I found a couple areas I would stay clear of. Each had more than 15 hunters checked out over the weekend.

808Hunter likes this.
  7. 808Hunter

808Hunter Member

Oct 20, 2017
    North Shore, Hawaii
    Thank you, I appreciate the info.

8. 808Hunter

808Hunter Member

Oct 20, 2017
    North Shore, Hawaii
    Thanks buddy. I really appreciate your post. I've got a couple weeks to recon the map and 10 days to try and make something happen. Fingers crossed!

9. 808Hunter

808Hunter Member

Oct 20, 2017
    North Shore, Hawaii
    Thank you, appreciate the info.

10. 808Hunter

808Hunter Member

Oct 20, 2017
    North Shore, Hawaii
    Will definitely take a long hard look at the map and key in on particular terrain. Thank you

11. 808Hunter

808Hunter Member

Oct 20, 2017
    North Shore, Hawaii
    Thanks bro. I didn't know Isportsman could do that, very helpful.
    Thank you

12. LeGrande

LeGrande Member

Jun 26, 2016
    St Robert
    Yes brother. When you get on the main page under the menu tab you can look up what areas are open and it will also show you the number of people who have checked into the area.

808Hunter likes this.
  13. 808Hunter

808Hunter Member

Oct 20, 2017
    North Shore, Hawaii
    Yup I see it, good stuff!
    How's the weather been? Any idea when the rut will kick in in that area?

14. EZRA

EZRA Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2016
    Man that pic with the goats is a bad one haha sorry! As far as about any public area the traffic is different from year to year and yearly scouting is a must. I'd say in that area the first thing is finding the good acorn crop areas and from there finding a good water source. Good luck and thank you for your service

808Hunter likes this.
  15. 808Hunter

808Hunter Member

Oct 20, 2017
    North Shore, Hawaii
    Thanks. If you've been to or hunted Hawaii you'd understand the terrain I had to cross to get to those to Mouflon Ewes! I was spent when I took the shot and got lucky with a double pass through!

16. EZRA

EZRA Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2016
    Haha no hard feelings intended bud. You put in a little extra leg work down there in November you will have a good chance at a good buck

808Hunter likes this.
  17. LeGrande

LeGrande Member

Jun 26, 2016
    St Robert
    It has been spotty, windy and warm, but it looks like we may get some cooler weather this week.

You should be here at the right time.

808Hunter likes this.
  18. 808Hunter

808Hunter Member

Oct 20, 2017
    North Shore, Hawaii
    None taken brother. That's the plan 10 days of hard work.

19. tcwild

tcwild Junior Member

Oct 16, 2013
    holden,mo
    No help here, I've never been there but good luck and Thanks for your service.

808Hunter likes this.
  20. 808Hunter

808Hunter Member

Oct 20, 2017
    North Shore, Hawaii
    Right on LeGrande maybe I'll run into you up there. Can't wait to sign out on leave!