Forestry Mulching Cedars

Discussion in 'Deer Management, Habitat & Conservation' started by Jamos09, Jan 20, 2018.

1. sandals

sandals Quack

Nov 13, 2014
    bourbon
    What was the reasoning to leaving the cedars? I'd cut them all down. All they are going to do is continue to spread and in 10 years you'll be right back where you started.

The ones standing look like they've had the lower branches removed. I don't see deer using it for bedding if it is no longer thick.

I'd burn all the mulch if you can. If it won't burn I'd add lime and as much wood ash as you can before discing it all up. I did a similar project with MDC. Removed 12 acres of cedars, stumps and all. MDC wanted the stumps left in the field but we ripped them out.

After a year you'd have never known there was ever a cedar there.Nothing but native grass and wildflowers. Beautiful glade that the turkey and doves love. I keep wishing some quail will find it.

If nothing comes up I'd buy some wildflower /native grass glade mix or plant clover.

bajabill, Vector and Maddog3355 like this.
  2. Maddog3355

Maddog3355 Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2014
    Maries County
    I would remove the cedars that are going to be close to your clover planting’s. Clover likes a little shade but cedars are to much. IMO

Jamos09 likes this.

3. justindh1

justindh1 Senior Member

Aug 22, 2010
    I cleared some cedars this last year and planted clover, chicory, and alfalfa in the area. It was limed and fertilized. The stand turned out great for it's first year even with the spans of drought through the year. It should be great this year. I think from your pictures, you could establish some good clover. Mixing in some wheat or oats can help get quick growth and protect your soil. The cover of the mulch may be a problem You need to address. Many have suggested using a narrow to mix it in with the soil. That's your best option in my opinion. The area looks good and should be a benefit to you.

Jamos09 likes this.
  4. limbhanger28

limbhanger28 Active Member

Feb 6, 2008
    southwest Missouri
    I think that was a very true statement in the past. Historically cedars only grew in the rocky bluffy areas where they were protected from fire. But now with fire suppression, and places being left idle to grow up, cedars rapidly take over many other areas as well.
    If I were you I would like to see what would grow up after the Cedar removal. Maybe you'll get enough vegetation to be able to burn in a year or two and may see an even bigger native vegetation explosion after burning. With some edge feathering on the edges it could turn into some fantastic habitat.

Maddog3355 and Jamos09 like this.
  5. Jamos09

Jamos09 Member

Oct 12, 2016
    The mulching machine can only chewup trees to a certain size. I agree the deer will not use the larger cedar trees as cover. We will not be right back where we are now in 10-years because the area will be brush hogged every 3-years or so. I think it is ok if there are small cedar trees in the regrowth area.

The point of this project is not to clear a large field to plant row crops. I want a brushy, grass, edge area that I believe will be used by the deer as bedding and that they will feel secure in. It will certainly be a bonus if I am able to establish an acre of two of clover or other food plots.

Sully and CRE10 like this.
  6. CRE10

CRE10 No to Drugs Yes to Hugs

Nov 18, 2013
    In a barn
    Mulching heads definitely have their place for certain applications. I ran one on a Terex. I was going to buy one for my 299 but didn't care for how long it took and the large debris left unless you just really double mulched into the ground but then you're wearing the carbide even more. I think a 74" head was around $30,000. For me it wasn't really the price, it was how hard they run/longevity and slow production speeds. They're not cheap rebuilding and don't last a ton of operating hours for $30k. I can do a ton faster and cleaner with a Dougherty high flow saw, mid flow rotary brush cutter, tree puller, and grapples. Heck for a 30k head you can buy half of another machine and really pick up production.

7. Woods

Woods Cooyon, Back from NOLA

Oct 16, 2003
    Lonedell Missouri
    I would do a controlled burn and then lime right after. Once vegetation starts growing, then add fertilizer.
    my .02

8. KChunter

KChunter Senior Member

I am having this type of work done right now on my place, except they are running 2 machines, one with a mulcher to take out all of the smaller stuff, and one with a grapple sheer to cut and stack the large cedars. They are making quick work of it, and there is far more bare dirt than ground covered in mulch. I'll try to take some pics.

Jamos09 and Wings Fan 19 like this.
  9. Wings Fan 19

Wings Fan 19 Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2008
    Kansas City, MO.
    Holler if you need an extra set of hands/saw etc. :wave1:

10. Redonthehead

Redonthehead Active Member

May 2, 2005
    Springfield
    was it these guys? http://gvbrush.com/
    we are wanting to clear several large areas of overgrown buttonbush in our wetlands. dang things are so big and thick a duck can't see the water. Its going to take a hot dry summer before we can get in there though.

11. Vector

Vector VECtor Custom Calls

Feb 11, 2003
    N/C MO
    Lots of great conversations here. I am looking forward to seeing what you end up with on the ground by this summer, and then by next spring. I am sure you will do some turkey killing on it this spring!

12. EZRA

EZRA Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2016
    I like some of those bigger cedars for bowstands, man they are nice for concealment and scent. The key is drawing the does in and keep ing them happy then the bucks will follow, and the idle edges and new food that will be everywhere u are looking good man! I'd have at least 5 mineral stations and several water holes in full swing too if u don't already, good work!

Meller likes this.
  13. Meller

Meller Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2008
    Thats what I was thinking as well, good place to hang a stand. Well at least the big ones along the edge, the ones in the center I'd drop and drag out, even if you cant get the stump, I'd open that canopy more.

Also I agree you'll need lime, I'd probably be looking for a lime spreading outfit this spring to spread some ag-lime on the mulch. Decomposing wood mulch drops PH pretty good.

14. bajabill

bajabill BDR529

Feb 16, 2012
    East Central MO
    If that is the one I am thinking of, one outfit came to our place and lasted a day. Said the hillside was too steep and rocky for his equipment. It was a machine that crawled around and cut and stripped the trunk all in one.

15. CRE10

CRE10 No to Drugs Yes to Hugs

Nov 18, 2013
    In a barn
    Mulching heads with carbide teeth don't like rocks.

Wings Fan 19 likes this.
  16. KChunter

KChunter Senior Member

Probably not the same. The grapple sheer just grabs the tree up top, sheers it at the bottom, and then he puts in in the pile. Took out some cedars well over a foot in diameter. The mulcher went around and got the smaller stuff or knocked down branches on the larger trees so the sheer could get to them. My ground where this work was being done is very level, so they didn't have any challenges with the terrain.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
  17. KChunter

KChunter Senior Member

Sounds like you just like to cut stuff down. For this deal I'm just kicking back and watching these guys work.

Wings Fan 19 likes this.
  18. bajabill

bajabill BDR529

Feb 16, 2012
    East Central MO
  19. KChunter

KChunter Senior Member

Here's a few pics of the operation on my place. Some areas have more mulch than others. This area was wall to wall cedars. Big one in the bottom picture was about 16-18 inches in diameter. Gonna have some BIG fires.
    IMG_2090.JPG IMG_2092.JPG IMG_2084.JPG IMG_2094.JPG

Jamos09, Wings Fan 19 and CRE10 like this.
  20. UrbanHunter

UrbanHunter Well-Known Member

CRE10
    I can do a ton faster and cleaner with a Dougherty high flow saw, mid flow rotary brush cutter, tree puller, and grapples. Heck for a 30k head you can buy half of another machine and really pick up production.

I'm not in the business, but I priced a forestry head clearing job, and we did it manually with chainsaws and a log loader for about 1/3 his quoted price. I watched a few videos, and man! they seem slow, especially if you're looking for fine chips.