Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How long after a TSI project until it will start thickening up and be useful as deer cover? I should give a little explaination. Last winter I started on sugar maple eradication, on 6 acres I cut possibly as much as 75% of the trees. Really more ethnic cleaning than true TSI. As of now it is still pretty barren other than a multitude of downed trees. I really haven't noticed much utilization so far, although some turkeys did nest in it this past spring. BTW this work was done (and is continuing) on a plan by the local PLC. Just not sure what my expectations should be.

Thanks,
Jack

·
Registered
13,420 Posts
Jack
It really depends on the site but I have seen undergowth at 2' in one year after the work has been completed. Really depends on seed source available or what the site was comprised of before the sugar maple took over. I would say within 3-5 yrs. you should see shrubby growth at the 4-8' range. Typically you can expect 1-3' of growth per year depending on if the species are shrubs or harwood trees. You may even see some native wildflowers or grasses coming back into the site. Deer should start using the area for browsing the first year or two. After that, it will thicken to better bedding cover, although the tree tops can make a good bedding area as well. I don't know if this 'exactly' answers your questions but it is specific to each site. Keep on working with your PLC and good luck to you!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.