Forage Soybeans Update

Discussion in 'Deer Management, Habitat & Conservation' started by horntagger, May 26, 2009.

1. horntagger

horntagger Active Member

Jun 30, 2003
    Southeast Missouri
    Trying little test this year.

Have three potsplanted with the same seed I just put in my food plots and on the same day.

Will take photos as they grow to see how big the forage soybeans will get.

Will not water will let it stay on the same schedule as the food plots.

May 15th - Planted

[​IMG]

May 26th - Day 11

[​IMG]

2. mrb

mrb New Member

Jun 6, 2002
    Moberly, Mo
    :cheers: I haven't heard much on that type of bean.... is it meant to compete with cow/forage peas?

3. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    how many seeds did you put per pot?

4. usfwc

usfwc New Member

Feb 24, 2007
    Miami, OK
    These wouldn't happen to be Eagle forage soybeans, would they? :) I have a couple of pots of them growing here as well.

5. horntagger

horntagger Active Member

Jun 30, 2003
    Southeast Missouri
    FORAGE BEANS: THEN AND NOW
    Many years ago, forage soybeans were the ones to have. Old articles in agriculture publications speak about soybeans coming into Mississippi for forage. Little attention was paid to oil values. Now, hardly anyone talks about soybeans as forage.
    That's changing a bit. USDA recently came out with three varieties — a Group 5, a 6 and a 7. Payne is now growing the Group 7 named Tyrone — “which produces 25 percent to 35 percent protein and is great for addition to silage or hay for cattle†— for Tennessee Farmers Coop in Laverne.
    But finding a good, old soybean or a new exotic seed to blend in with wildlife mixes is what lights Payne's eyes up. Payne, a graduate of Mississippi State University with a degree in forestry and wildlife, says he is simply trying to fill a niche. When he graduated a few years ago, it was “obvious†that there was a big need for wildlife seeds and no one was filling that need.
    “I have a friend at Mississippi State that helps me find old soybeans — like Laredo — that have been put back in seed storage for 15 or 20 years. Most of the seeds have lost their germ. But if we can get one or two plants, we can start a project and see what develops,†says Payne, who farms and manages a hunting club outside Senatobia, Miss.
    Payne stops his truck next to a field of Laredo soybeans, a very old bush forage variety that gets about 5 feet tall and produces about 800 pounds of protein to the acre. The steady summer rains experienced in the Delta have muddied the roads. Payne, boots giving in the moist soil, walks down the road and into a field of Quail Haven soybeans and Egyptian wheat (another giant variety that grows as high as a basketball rim).
    “Notice how the soybeans are growing up the wheat and pulling it over. MSU developed it in the 1960's to go in with silage corn to up the protein content. They found out they couldn't keep deer out of it.â€
    A healthy deer herd is clearly the goal for Payne and if the large number of deer trails branching through the field of Tyrone's is any indication, the herd is in fine shape. Deer clearly like the offerings. But the plants get so big, says Payne, that deer can't really hurt the crop. When the crop dries down, plant matter will be so low to the ground combines have a hard time picking it up. But it can be done, “you just have to drive through it slow.â

About about 14

6. horntagger

horntagger Active Member

Jun 30, 2003
    Southeast Missouri
    No Nutri Plot Wildlife Products