Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll be the first to admit that I don't know as much as I should about guns, so here is my question.... I have a Knight Inline that shoots the pyrodex pellets and was wondering what the difference would be between using 100gr or 150gr? Thanks guys!!

·
Registered
6,021 Posts
well frist off make sure you check out the manual for THAT gun and make sure your not excedding the max load. that is very dangrous but for a knight i thing your still with in your limits......

the difference is 150 is going to have more kick both ways :) your going to get more distace out of the heavier load

more accurate? maybe maybe not like any kinda shooting differnt guns like different things. your some what limited with the pellets as to customizing your load
honestly my opinion is your probley not going to gain much if anything but you might
the range will tell the truth.
i very seldom shoot more than 100 grains of loose FFF but thats a whole nother topic.

·
VECtor Custom Calls
41,475 Posts
Yep.....I'd just stick with the 100, but I'm far from a mloader pro. I remember talking to a LOT of the pro's on here that shoot less than 100 grains from p-dex or trip7 powder form.

Only advice I've got, it that if you have the opportunity (not a lot of pyrodex sitting around) switch to Triple Seven. Its easier to clean up.

Parker

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Shoot shoot and shoot some more. Try different loads and bullets.

I shoot a T/C Encore .45. For me, 150gr, with powerbelt bullets, made all the difference but every m/l seems to be different. So just buy one of each and spend some time at the range mixing it up. When you find the correct combo it should be so obvious it will almost jump right off the target at you.

·
Registered
38,303 Posts
Find out what your gun likes. I have one knight that loves 150 gr. of 777 pellets, shoots awesome. Another knight that loves 100 gr. of 777 pellets. And a 3rd knight that loves 90 gr. of measured pyrodex RS!!! Ya gotta spend a little time at the range and see what your gun likes...you'll feel more confident in your gun/load to boot!!!! Good luck Jay!!!!

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
http://theoutdoorquest.com/blog.htm I post this because Rich Mellon (aka OMEGA) LOVES 3 Pyrodex pellet loads in his TCs. And some of you might enjoy his New Zealand hunt postings down that page.

I don't care for pellets simply because of the high price and the confusion they have caused in communicating loads. The "two pellets and a Powerbelt" mentality fits right in there with the word "magnum" IMHO. If the choice has to be between 2 or 3 pellets, shoot the one that both you and your rifle can handle accurately (and make sure your rifle is rated to handle those loads).

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
I tried three 50's in my "150 MAG" ML and decided to quit that pretty quick. Two 50's was plenty of punch, but accuracy was lacking. Finally backed off to 90 grains of loose powder. As stated above its a LOT cheaper, plus it improved the accuracy. Accuracy still not super, but its just a cheap $149 ML.

·
Registered
8,764 Posts
I shoot only loose powder and think the pellets are a waste of money. My MLers are simply that and not centerfire rifles.

Jack

·
Under appreciated
92,571 Posts
Originally posted by JackJr
I shoot only loose powder and think the pellets are a waste of money. My MLers are simply that and not centerfire rifles.

Jack
Me too Jack.. loose and my thompson seems to like the powerbelt 245's. Gonna smack one with it this fall I hope!!

·
Registered
49 Posts
I have a few powder busters and as said previously always check your manual for the maximum load allowed. Then go to the range with a few diffrent projectiles and I prefer loose powder. I adjust my load between 85g and 120g .What you are looking for is accuracy and when you reach the the correct load for that particular gun is should make a sharp crack rather than a boom or a pop sound. Good luck and be safe.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.