for you all that find 100's

Discussion in 'Did Someone Say Shrooms,????' started by beanpile, May 7, 2018.

1. beanpile

beanpile just a no body

what do you do with all of them?. We find a few but nothing to brag on..we fry up a couple of mess's but its hard to go Crack Head Crazy over them. Wife dehydrated some to put in her spaghetti sauce. We have tried that Freezing method and they just didn't seem to be all that good.. I mean they were ok but not great.

any other things you do with them?

2. Hawk

Hawk Well-Known Member Sponsor

Oct 15, 2009
    I dehydrate the extras and then add a handful to sauteed onions and put over steaks. Its awesome and dehydrated they last forever. Weve made all types of pastas etc.

3. CuivreDog2

CuivreDog2 Addicted Habitat Junkie

Mar 27, 2010
    Lincoln County, MO
    Give them away to my neighbors!

I'm the most popular guy in my section when the neighbors see me coming down their lanes on the UTV this time of year - they know the mushroom man is coming to make a drop off!

I will say I agree with you though, We tried freeze drying, dehydrating, and about every other method I've found on the internet to preserve them and they just aren't the same. That's OK though, just makes me appreciate them that much more in the short time they are available!

4. Hawk

Oct 15, 2009
    Try the dehydrated ones in onions on a big ribeye.....

Last edited: May 7, 2018
  5. fishshooter

fishshooter Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Reform
    Always give them away, after I've had about two messes fryed, I'm done with them till the next year.

6. manitou1

manitou1 Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2012
    Truman Lake
    We also tried many various ways, including breading and freezing for cooking later and freezing in water, etc. The best way we have found is to go ahead and bread/batter them and fry them. Then freeze them. When you want more, put them in a pre-heated oven (pretty warm) and heat them up. ALMOST as good as fresh.

DCSarchette likes this.
  7. Vikestand

Vikestand Over There

I'm jealous of you who find more than a few. It's rare if I find more than a dozen and every once in a blue moon I can fill a grocery bag. But that is rare.

20' likes this.
  8. Hooks

Hooks Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2010
    Down the bayou
    Do you freeze them after you dehydrate them or is that necessary?

9. beanpile

beanpile just a no body

I think she does just because

10. Hawk

Oct 15, 2009
    It depends on how fast you plan to use them. They are probably good 6 months in a ziploc in the cabinet. In the freezer they will last forever.

11. flatlander_

flatlander_ Really? Show me. .

We use to freeze a bunch after we had are our fill and we have dehydrated them too.

Anymore I just give away everything after the first couple of dozen. Morels are good but I get a bigger kick out of finding them than I do eating them.

Cook and wiser1 like this.
  12. coyotehunter

coyotehunter PURE KILLER

Jan 19, 2005
    mexico,mo.
    I seem to have alot of friends during mushroom season that just seem to show up out of nowhere for some reason. I like eating them, but you can only eat so many, and I'm not much on drying them or freezing them.

13. manitou1

manitou1 Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2012
    Truman Lake
    The old neighbor lady left us a STRONG hint this year... she put a sack of flour in our mailbox for us to cook her some. No kidding! Talk about a subtle hint. lol. She always gets the first ones we give away... but the past few years we just cook some up for her.

tcwild and CuivreDog2 like this.
  14. Cook

Cook Well-Known Member

May 28, 2003
    Like Flatlander,it the thrill of the hunt for me.I'll fry some up for us,and just give the rest away.People remember,and Karma works sometimes.
    Being a chef,I could bread,season ,and fry up some morels,and 3 other types of mushrooms.If you were blindfolded,I bet most of you would have trouble picking out which is which.