Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright fellas me and my brother are going to make the jump into food plots. We are green on this topic (though we have been reading about it). We have decided to make smaller food plots in the woods so it will benefit our bowhunting. In your opinions and experience can you make a plot to small for example 1/2 acre to an acre to small? I am thinking we are going to go with clover and wheat. Any ideas would help. We don't have a tractor so we are either going to get an atv plow/disc (anyone know of a good one?) or we will hand till them. Please help:praying:

·
Registered
17,334 Posts
clover plots will probably be your best bet in timber and that small. i have a clover plot no more than 40 yards long and maybe 20 yards wide,one of the most used plots on farm and we have several other plots.never gets grazed to ground so clover is to be a great choice. no need for tillage equipment when plantin clover. might need a sprayer if ya get into 1/2-1 acre size plots to make life easier. be careful you will be into 3-5 acres of foodplots once ya get started and get the hang of it!!:cheers::cheers:

·
Registered
178 Posts
the wheat is a waste in my mind, many farmers have fields beyond fields of wheat, but yes clover, and turnips work extremely well, turnips more late season (after the first snow) absolute money :eek::

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
before you even decide what to plant, get the soil tested and get some lime down quick...if you are just clearing the plots now, probably need to spend the summer killing off weeds and do a fall plot...and if you are doing these small plots, you can get some mixed seed packs that aren't super expensive...I had good experience last year with backwoods blend...

fall plots of clover with winter wheat work well...winter wheat provides browse and helps let the clover get established for the next year...

everyone has their own experiences based upon what works for them...my best advice would be to start a journal and keep tabs of everything you do so you have notes to build upon successes, not repeat failures!

·
Registered
17,090 Posts
Keep in mind the plot layout/shape. Make it huntable if you can. Figure 8's, L or V shapes, make for good stand sites. You can always couple it with some tree cutting to help keep deer from going downwind.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Is broadcasting very effective or should you work the seed into the ground?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Guys thanks for all the good info. The plots I am wanting to make are killing plots. The area is already clear of trees I just need to kill the weeds which I wil be doing soon. What do suggest to use to kill the weeds?

·
Registered
5,360 Posts
please dont plant turnips, you will regret it

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
[rquote=1589795&tid=110110&author=marshallgrn]please dont plant turnips, you will regret it[/rquote]agreed! they didnt even touch mine this year:whiteflag:

·
Registered
13,017 Posts
Planted brassica's in two new spots this year and deer hammered them at both places. One place even has a whole bottom of standing corn, cut milo, and two big wheat fields and the deer STILL came to my Shotplot. The other place didn't have much food around and they were totally ANNIHALATED! Turnips and rape are probably my favorite food plot aside from clover where I am at. :cheers:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.