Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What does everyone think is the best late season food plot for deer. this past season turnips worked good for me and my buddy at his place, but i was thinking about planting something on my place. i just dont know what... i have heard oats and wheat also...

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
[rquote=1584803&tid=110015&author=cardiackiller]next year im planting beans, and sunflowers???:confused:[/rquote]

I'm thinking the same thing. I have a friend that said he hunted around some sunflowers and the deer were like cattle in there. may be a pretty good mix:cheers:

·
2,644 Posts
Deer will tear up the sunflowers!!! If you can get them to grow, the deer always eat them while they are growing, but they love them all year long!!! Standing beans is probbaly the "best" late season food plot. Besides their nutritional value they stay standing above most of the snow allowing easy access for the deer.

·
Navy/Air Force/Army
17,226 Posts
I've never had luck with beans or sunflowers, they get mowed down before they get 6 inches tall. After seeing the way rape performed in my late season plots this year I am definitely sold on it's late season drawing power.

·
Registered
18,797 Posts
Standing beans is tough to beat, they browse them all summer and provide good winter nutrition. I am going to try sunflowers this year as well to help cover browse pressure on the small beans.

Winter rye is tough to beat too since it can handle a lot of browsing pressure. A good way to get a strong rye plot is to plant red clover and then till it under and plant rye right after. Let the clover grow for 1-1.5 years and keep it clipped. It will provide a lot of nitrogen that way for nitrogen loving plants like rye.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.