Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering when is the best time to plant your food plot. What to plant, how to plant it? You know all the small stuff.:roll2: I aquired some private land to bowhunt and the owner said he would help do the planting.

·
Jenny's Lackey
47,538 Posts
Right now is the best time to start. I would recomend starting by spraying with roundup to ease in discing later. A soil test will tell you what you need to do in the way of lime & fertilizer. The sooner you get lime in the ground, the better the chance your plants will be able to utilize it. As for what to plant, there are a lot of choices. My personal choices this fall will be cereal grains mixed with winter peas. Probably winter wheat, oats & winter rye. When to plant? After August 15th. Best timed with an approaching rain. Don't forget to fertilize.

Your local coop has a lot of things to plant at a lot cheaper prices than premixed seeds with pics of deer on them.

Heres a link to the plots I've currently got started. http://missouriwhitetails.com/forums/viewthread.php?tid=25925#pid309997

·
Registered
777 Posts
pinwheel offers a lot of good points on spraying and soil testing. I like to look at my surrounding area and see what isn't available for deer that just might draw them in. Pinwheel offers some good choices for planting but I would add in white or red clover....i dont think you can go wrong with either!

·
Registered
3,898 Posts
I would agree with Pinwheel with getting your soil prepped...as far as the planting, if your soil is a base clay...you will need to get some green manure into it and I have found that a heavy dose of deer vetch, with some rye and winter wheat will help...save your money on the clover for a first go round...

Grant Woods is in your area and has some interesting ideas on how to grow good deer food on those wonderful red clay, rocky soils.

Do you have any good rabbit farmers or chicken farmers nearby? Their dung makes good soil enhancements!

Any plot starts with lots of preparations...get your soil test to see if you can afford to add the lime necessary to grow your expectations...not a shot...just been there.

Congrats on doing habitat enhancements!!!:cheers:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.