Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
18,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went out to the hunting property last thursday, and despite feeling like I was over-heated, I got the plots done. I planted the annual plots for the fall with a mix of milo, soybeans, and austrian winter peas. I'm hoping all goes well. The night that I got it all in we got a little over an inch of rain, hopefully we get a little more here soon, calling for some on friday, keeping my fingers crossed!

This first pic is of one of the three plots on the north end, all planted with the mix for this fall.

Attachments

·
Registered
18,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
North end mix

fall mix on the left, biologic clover plus & chicory on the right

Attachments

·
Registered
18,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
last one on the north

This is biologic premium perennial. This will be the second season for all the perennial plots...can't wait to see them this fall.
All of these first three pictures were taken from where one of the shooting houses sits during rifle season, overlooking all three plots.

Attachments

·
Registered
18,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
South west side

This is the perennial plot on the southwest side. It is my own mix of ladino and red clovers, and chicory....they like this one. The worked ground in the back is the mix I planted last week.

Attachments

·
5,631 Posts
You lucky dog. Those plots look AWESOME! Sure will be nice looking over those with a weapon in your hands!

·
Registered
18,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Southwest Plot from other end

This is taken from the other end of the plot in the previous pic, so the fall mix in the front, my own perennial mix on to the end.

I actually took these pics this past monday, there was a deer in this newly planted plot at 3:30 in the afternoon in the heat!

Attachments

·
Registered
18,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Southeast perennial

This plot was awesome last fall in it's first year, can't wait to see it this year. This is biologic premium perennial and the worked ground is the newly planted mix.

Attachments

·
Registered
18,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Southeast annual.

This is the south half of the fall plot on this end...can't see it all in one pic. The perennial it butts up to is what is in the last pic.

Attachments

·
Registered
18,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
southeast annual

This is the other half of the annual in the last pic.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,318 Posts
All the pics and plots look great to me!
Looks like you'll have some big boys round you for sure!
:cheers::cheers:

·
Jenny's Lackey
47,684 Posts
Hoyt, Lookin good. A few questions about your annual mix. Will the milo still have time to head out? Have you planted soybeans this late in the past? If so, what was the results of growth & usage? I'm planning to mix winter peas in with my cereal grains this fall, but wasn't planning to do that till mid August. Is that too late for the peas?

I've still got about 3-4 acres to plant yet this fall. Buckwheat will be getting mowed & replaced with WW/oats & winter peas. Never tried this mix, but have heard good things. I'm going to be starting a firebreak around my crp this weekend. Thought that might be a good place to experiment with soybeans. My farmer has 25 acres of soybeans planted, but they'll be cut late first bowseason. I'm just wondering if soybeans might survive into late Oct if they're planted this late. What if I mixed soybeans & winter peas. Do the peas stay green later?

·
Registered
7,519 Posts
Pinwheel not to jump in on Hoyts answer, but the day you were picking up the tractor, we were bailing straw on a field that was to be no-tilled soybeans in the following few days. Its been a couple of weeks but the beans will grow until frost.
Deer are really on beans at first germination and pod setting, bloom phase. Alot of farmers double crop beans right after wheat harvest.

·
Registered
18,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Pinwheel....
I havn't planted beans this late before, and this is the first time trying this mix. I'm pretty good friends with the guy that runs the place that I get my seed from and I talked with him a little about it before I planted. He seemed to think it would work fine.
As for the milo...and I may be wrong....but I'm pretty sure milo matures and goes to seed based on factors other than a set number of days. I think milo is forced to head out by available daylight hours and such. That being said, I shouldn't have a problem getting sed heads with it, the only issue will be how big they are. I asked that same question as well and was told that the latest that you want to get milo out is generally July the 10th. I only missed that by a few days and I'm not harvesting it so I think it'll be fine. I planted it as late as I felt comfortable intentionally because in the past, with earlier plantings it did great but was wiped out early to.
I'm not sure how being planted with the beans will affect the peas. I honestly only threw those in there because I had the seed laying around. A lot of tobacco farners up here will plant the winter peas after their tobacco is cut out of the fields and that doesn't happen until later in the summer than now. A friend of mine has done that in the past and I saw his peas stay green all winter and flower in the spring. As for staying green...like I said I've seen them green all winter. I'm not sure the soybeans would make a difference on that, except for providing nitrogen.
I'm interested to see what this mix does...if it flops lesson learned! But I've wondered about it for awhile and never seen it done so we'll see!

·
Registered
3,898 Posts
Hoyt, looks like a bunch of work for you there. Glad to see your health is good...this heat is a beaaattch... I am interested in seeing how your planting of beans and peas do...I am considering a changeup in Dogdoc's recipe...adding some beans for a very early draw, continued with the oats, followed by the wheat, and finally the brassicas doing the hard work of sustaining the deer through the winter...keep us informed and thanks for giving it a try...BSK thinks they are a very underutilized tool in food plotting.

·
Registered
18,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'll let you know how it progresses Thayer. I used dogdoc's mix last year for my annual plots. It came up and looked great but wasn't used nearly as much as I expected it to be. Once the oats and wheat got up much it wasn't very productive until really late when they knocked out the brassicas. I think that was partly due to the mild winter. Also, I had a great stand of oats and several peas come back and were doing great until I mowed and worked the ground last week.
I got an inch of rain the the night I planted last week and we thankfully got a good rain this morning. Hopefully we catch a little more with the storms coming throughout the day today, and man are these cooler temps welcome! I was starting to get a little worried with the stretch of triple digits!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.