Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
3,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last fall I broadcast a couple acres in strips of winter wheat and crimson clover. The plan was to have a little something for deer to eat and clover this spring for the turks. The ww was about 5 inches tall when the snow shut it down. At planting this spring the farmer was gonna terminate it all and plant beans in it. Well the clover didn’t grow much at all but the ww is tall and mature enough now it’s making wheat. The farmer wants to chemically kill it and go ahead with beans if it ever dries out. If that wheat isn’t taken out will it reseed itself? Will it effect a bean harvest later this year if he does actually get beans planted? The wheat looks pretty fantastic honestly. If he can’t get beans in he’s not going to plant anything this year. What options would that give me for continuing a food plot this year?

· Banned
81,617 Posts
Its mature enough now that if he kills it and doesnt plant it might reseed itself . If he doesnt plant you have all sorts of options for plots . Late beans , brassicas , cereal grains .

Reactions: justindh1

1,533 Posts
If you are looking for something you can just broadcast into the standing ww if the field doesn't get planted with beans, I would just go with a brassica or grain like Henry. Even if the beans get planted, I would still ask to broadcast some turnips in late July early August into the standing beans. If you plant any perennial, just know its gonna get worked up or sprayed so consider it a annual in that situation.

· Registered
3,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yep everything is considered annual at this point on this property. I broadcast this ww into the standing beans he had last year and it worked pretty well. This year I was worried about ww reseeding and messing up his bean harvest. If he gets them in that is.

Did kick 2 hens out of the ww yesterday. No poults that I saw and the hens left them if there were any. They flew a good ways

· Registered
32,087 Posts
I'm no farmer but would think that any volunteer wheat would easily be controlled if he plants beans.

Reactions: henry

· Registered
3,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well this feller doesn’t put a ton of effort into this farm. He plants. He harvests. Might spray prior to planting but rarely during the growing season. Hasn’t spread any fertilizer that I know of in 2 years. Kind of hoping it stays too wet to plant and he doesn’t get to this year. He said he has til July 15th to plant. I’m guessing that has something to do with crop insurance or something similar

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.