Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Planning on planting a summer plot at my hunting ground. My current set up is a wood front along a road with open expanses of corn/soybean fields. There is a clearing in the woods that open to the fields and backs to a levee. The plan is to plant a screen of egyptian wheat on the field side of the clearing and plant cowpeas and buckwheat in the summer (may plant) and then over-seed with oats and radishes in early august. The concern is this, Is the plot a waste of effort considering they are surrounded by food sources or is diversity part of the draw? And will over-seeding late summer produce results or should a secondary kill plot be planted? Thank you for your time and I appreciate any input.

·
Banned
2,351 Posts
Sounds like a good late season mix, but if u want to bowhunt it early I'd rather have clover or something close

·
Biology nit wit exposer
81,238 Posts
How big of a field ?

·
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The fields of soybeans and corn is probably in the thousands of acres. The small plot I would like to start back in the woods is maybe a quarter acre.

·
Biology nit wit exposer
81,238 Posts
If I tried anything it would be a fall green plot . Just hoping to see if it would make a draw before they move into ag fields.

Reactions: Fuldraw

·
#pointsmatter
2,692 Posts
I love milo and radishes. I mix 2 maturity length, milo seeds so I have a bigger window when it's in the milk stage. They are both great draws in October even though I have a ton of Oak timber.

·
Registered
18,895 Posts
With that much AG I wouldn't try to compete with it... I would consider having something green planted and ready for when the beans start to yellow. (Green to Green Transfer) you can accomplish this with several types of plantings. For your location I would consider clovers, radish, fmp's or awp's.... several options for you to consider... when do you plan on doing the majority of your hunting?

·
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'd like to get out early bow season. I know clover is huge for most, but I haven't seen it draw much. They ate the tops of the radishes I had out last year well before late season. Just looking for a good mix this year

1 - 10 of 10 Posts