Food Plot Preparation.

Discussion in 'Deer Management, Habitat & Conservation' started by DPx2, Jan 26, 2018.

1. deep woods goat hunter

deep woods goat hunter Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2004
    Moberly, MO
    beans.jpg IMG958185.jpg IMG958186.jpg IMG958187.jpg IMG958188.jpg IMG958336.jpg IMG958337.jpg The first picture was about a week after I let the fence down. Hindsight I should have left it up until October. They demolished the first four leaves on the entire field in a couple weeks. Last two pics don't look awesome because there are dying weeds in the plot about 6 days after I sprayed.
    Hope this helps.

2. DPx2

DPx2 Psalm 31:6

Jul 5, 2009
    Trying to see specifics on my phone, but looks like you had 1 wire out 10' for initial border then a 3 wire? In hindsight you'd recommend the initial contract wire, then only a 2 strand?
    Any specific beans you planted?
    From the first pic, looks like you had good success.
    Appreciate the help!

3. deep woods goat hunter

Jul 6, 2004
    Moberly, MO
    I failed to take pics right when I pulled the fence. The beans had a slow start and then finally got some clutch rains. I just had single wire on outside perimeter and then two on the secondary inside. I had a buddy that did it exactly as shown in the video above and his results were the same with only two wires. I would go that route.

4. deep woods goat hunter

Jul 6, 2004
    Moberly, MO
    IMG_0066.JPG IMG_0207.JPG IMG_0850.JPG Here's a couple trail camera pictures from a couple weeks ago.

5. DPx2

DPx2 Psalm 31:6

Jul 5, 2009
    Gotcha, 2 wire only...I like those recent pics !
    That's what I'm trying to get to!

6. Wings Fan 19

Wings Fan 19 Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2008
    Kansas City, MO.
    Next year, I am going to add the single strand "border" and then 2 or 3 strand like I had last year. I didn't fence them when I planted either, which was a mistake as the initial browse when seeds pop is hard to make up for.

WBF likes this.