Food Plot Preparation.

Discussion in 'Deer Management, Habitat & Conservation' started by deerdown, Jan 26, 2018.

1. deerdown

deerdown John 3:15

Jul 5, 2009
    I called the MFA in NW Mo today to discuss fertilizer and lime requirements for starting up my food plot. The ground I plan to plot had been in crp for the last 5 years.
    Although I tried to take a soil sample last week, the ground was frozen solid except for the top inch, so I'll need to do that another time.
    The MFA recommended 30lbs actual of N,P,K and 100lbs of pelletized lime -for food plots without having the soil test. Said that would get me started without spending a bunch of money on it. That would be $46 per acre.
    I saw another post on another forum (for Iowa ground) recommending 150# of actual nitrogen as well as 100# each of P and K. MFA said that'd cost $150 an acre and I really didn't need that much to get a food plot planted.
    I'm going to plant beans and forage sorghum in spring, then overseed in late summer with cereal rye and WW.
    What do folks in Central to Northern Mo use for their plots? Do you put different fertilizer rates down depending on what you plan to plant that year?

SWMO1 likes this.
  2. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    Actual N infront of production corn is generally 200#/A IIR so you wouldnt need that or even need 150 for beans. N requirements for production corn is a complicated endeavor and subject to a lot of variables and credits (previous crop) depending on timing and placement of the fertilizer, form and soil type. N calculations for production agriculture take into account grain yield and return on investment whereas plotting shouldnt be that hard. Beans really dont benefit a lot from N but the sorghum would benefit from N, 100-150# if you can segment your plots.
    If it has been CRP, I'd plan inocculated beans for sure.

3. deerdown

Jul 5, 2009
    Ok, I did see the recommendation to innoculate beans if no recent crop history.
    I can segment the N application by not having them mix it in the cart with the lime and P and K. I have a pull behind spreader I can apply it with since it's only 1 acre I plan to plant to sorghum, of the total 6 acres planting.
    Since it's for food plots, I'd prefer to plant the beans late if possible - Can I get by with an early July planting ? Is there normally enough season left to get a decent stand?

4. deerdown

Jul 5, 2009
    Need sulfur for beans? 10lbs / acre sound right?

5. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    Early July is ok for food plot beans but you are risking not having timely rains... its a gamble.
    The N wont HURT the beans, it just wont help a ton. If its easier to use the same fertilizer mix for all of your plots, do it.
    Save your money on the sulfur.. not much benefit if at all and could actually acidify the soil and counteract the benefit you get from lime.

6. deerdown

Jul 5, 2009
  7. Wings Fan 19

Wings Fan 19 Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2008
    Kansas City, MO.
    I put in late beans this year and had the best stand I've had. Timely rain had a lot to do with it.

Mr Hannibal likes this.
  8. DougC

DougC Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2008
    Independence

9. deerdown

Jul 5, 2009
    Did you use any special kind of beans? How many acres? I'm concerned they'll eat them up before they get going...

DougC likes this.
  10. Wings Fan 19

Dec 4, 2008
    Kansas City, MO.
    I plant elcheapo NWTF beans and this year I broke down and fenced them in. Plot was maybe 2.5 acres. Small bean plots just plain get demolished if you have any deer density.
    I seeded crimson clover, chicory and GH radish when the beans yellowed. Pulled the fence November 1 and it was game on!

11. deerdown

Jul 5, 2009
    Thought about fencing them. Need solar setup to do it

12. beanpile

beanpile just a no body

lots of good info on here//had a guy named City Hunter..and DWGH tried it last year as well

13. deerdown

Jul 5, 2009
    Thanks Beanpile, I'll look for the threads.

14. deerdown

Jul 5, 2009
    After finding and reading the threads on the hot fence experiences, I think I'll take my chances the first year and just plant the beans and see how they do.

I'll take a soil test, fertilize to what the budget allows for food plots, and see how it goes. I'll cage some of the plot to see how bad it is browsed.
    I hope to plant 5 acres total.

Wings - how big an area did you fence? Cost? Worth it?

15. Wings Fan 19

Dec 4, 2008
    Kansas City, MO.
    I did about 2.5'ish acres. Went overkill on the charger/fencer, but total cost was @ $900.00. Next year it will be more like 4 acres and I'm gonna fence it all.
    It took about 2 weeks for deer to figure out messing with it was no bueno... But it did the job and I will use it for years. Past beans there never got over ankle high, this year I had thigh high beans and they set pods for late season.
    I pulled the fence November 2 and it was game on. I also overseeded with crimson clover, chicory and GH radish. The buffet was a magnet of a draw! I saw 14-16 deer some sits versus 3-6 in years past.

WBF and beanpile like this.
  16. Don’t waste time/money on food plot beans without fencing. I didn’t go overboard on fencer and had about $400 in my setup. I did about 2 acres. I’m doing 3 this year. I’ve found that you don’t need 3 strands of Hotwire also. 2 will do just fine.

This is the deal...

WBF likes this.
  17. deerdown

Jul 5, 2009
    Good info. Did either of you have trouble with grass growing into the fence and shorting it out? After you get it set up, how much maint. is what I'm wondering.
    It's not going to be on my home farm and I don't want to be running over there every time down to maintain it.

18. No trouble with weeds. Backpack sprayer or pistol grip on your atv/utv sprayer with a nice gly/24d cocktail will so the trick. Though, be sure to use surfactant and water conditioner just as if you normally would. I only had to spray it once a week or so after the 4th of July. With this being said, my gut tells me that it didn’t really matter because the deer had learned that the fence lit their ace up. Also the weeds weren’t even that y’all I’m just anal.

19. deerdown

Jul 5, 2009
    I appreciate the info, sounds like it's worth the effort.

20. Let me try to find some pix of my beans