Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm heading this weekend to do some plotin and was wondering what you guys think i should put in the areas in orange?I was thinkin along the lines of clover, oats, and chicory? will clover and chicory grow mixed in with the oats?

[file]7468[/file]

·
Registered
14,508 Posts
I'd say so. But being that close to a good sized timber I'd test some chuffa out.

·
Registered
3,898 Posts
Has this ground been worked before? What is the ph? What type of soil?

If I was putting in a new plot I would not want to put in a hi-dollar type seed like the chicory or clover if I had not done my homework on the soil.

I would recommend a winter wheat, oats, rye grain, and brassica mix. 50#, 50#, 50#, 2# per acre of the mix...It will give you an early, middle, and late season forage and it won't bust the bank....then next year you can let is stand while you lime the area up the to the proper ph levels...turkeys love those matured seed heads.

Next year I would then go ahead and put down 50# of winter wheat, 7# of clover, and 3# of chicory. That way you could take out some weeds next summer also and get your soil right.

I would have to hang a stand in this spot also...

[file]7473[/file]

·
Jenny's Lackey
47,529 Posts
I know nothing about chicory, but clover will grow very well mixed in with oats or winter wheat. If you're planting clover, I would make sure to use something like winter wheat that's going to survive the winter. Oats will die out in the cold. However, my BFO survived last winter & made great cover crop while my clover was getting established. Thayer gave very good advise about the soil test. If you've not taken a soil test, I would make sure to get lime on as soon as possible at a minimum rate of 500#/acre. Keep in mind, that's only a bandaid & you'll still need a soil sample. Rye grows well in low ph soil, wheat does ok on low to mid range soil. They all need fertilizer. MFA recomended I spread 200#/acre 19-19-19. My plot is going to be WW/oats/rye & winter peas. Got 3 acres left to plant.

·
Registered
17,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
cant put stands there thayer thats all grass and small locust tress and i hate putting stands in those dumb trees. i had already thought about that maybe a ground blind with a good wind

·
Registered
3,898 Posts
Yeah, I was wondering if that would have to be a ground blind area...I was going by a North to South layout of that pic...

How's the bow?

·
Registered
21,423 Posts
Sounds like some good planning going on. I like your idea of a safe haven - although if it was me, I'd try to at least double or triple that in size - stretching it over and down. It looks like its about 2 acres now - I'd try to get it to 5 or 6. Nice looking place to hunt. What is in the 36 acre field? Good luck.

·
Registered
17,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yeah the safe haven is a little bigger than shown. its nothing but pine trees in there i say we leave about 10 acres that way alone due to getting busted gettin in and out of there. the 36 and 2.9 is in crops

·
Registered
397 Posts
Thayer - When would you plant this?

[thayer said]....would recommend a winter wheat, oats, rye grain, and brassica mix. 50#, 50#, 50#, 2# per acre of the mix...It will give you an early, middle, and late season forage and it won't bust the bank....then next year you can let is stand while you lime the area up the to the proper ph levels...turkeys love those matured seed heads.

·
Registered
17,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yeah i use paint to keep updating the picture. just keep on thinking of different places to put things the more i look at it from the map. plenty more food plots to go but will have to wait till next year

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.